Camping vehicle mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping vehicle mods...

I realize that this board is far from a 4WD modification site (like pirate or jeepforum) but IMO there may be room for some DIY vehicle stuff, from awnings to roof top tents through drawer systems, even steps and tire carriers...

Lets see e'm...

I'll start us off; Just changed out the front explorer differential for a front Torsen limited slip...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	stub loose cover renoved DSCF0264.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	72977Click image for larger version

Name:	Measure total end play no shims DSCF0271.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	72978Click image for larger version

Name:	Measure backlash first pass DSCF0275.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	72979
    took 3 or 4 tries to get the backlash right...
    Not a good first vehicle mod project...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Camping vehicle mods...

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    I realize that this board is far from a 4WD modification site (like pirate or jeepforum) but IMO there may be room for some DIY vehicle stuff, from awnings to roof top tents through drawer systems, even steps and tire carriers...

Lets see e'm...

I'll start us off; Just changed out the front explorer differential for a front Torsen limited slip...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6049[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6050[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6051[/ATTACH]
    took 3 or 4 tries to get the backlash right...
    Not a good first vehicle mod project...

Enjoy!
    I like this idea and would love to see more. It doesn't have to be something big either. Anything you do to your ride to make camping better/easier I would love to see.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I, personally, will try to keep my postings in this thread at high overview level ("I did this...") rather than doing step by step how tos (unless someone wants the how to instructions). If massive how to detail is desired I would think it would justify a separate thread. for simple stuff, I wouldn't think a separate thread would be necessary.

Most of my next postings here will likely be bigger projects, but I really like to see other people's mods and ideas; both simple and complex...

Coming up;
      Rear ARB air locker in a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear differential... (currently draining the grease; a lot like watching paint peel).
      ...Then onboard air and stealth ARB controls (to avoid the ugly switches).
      Later, tire selection... perhaps a new stereo head unit (road time getting to the campsite should be enjoyable, IMO).

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have installed on board water to my 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The stock bumper holds about 7 gallons of water. This can be done to any 2007 and newer Wrangler. Makes for a nice source for rinsing dishes or a shower. On a sunny day it warms the water real nice.

Comment

side rails on my jeep couldnt handle roof loads mostly from the kayak, and gear in roof basket
          roof skin was flexing and cracked/rusted
          so ripped through and welded additional support to handle the load, i can now stand on the roof rails and has 0 flex

before i started

Comment

while a buick is not a car one thinks of when thinking camping vehicle
            since my jeep has 200k miles on it and has seen better days,
            decided to make my buick more useful
            currently adding a hitch, only has 1000 lb to limit, but thats enough to tow my 5x8 trailer with gear, may even add walls/roof to trailer to use as a mini camper, thats been on my mind for a while
            also thinking of side rails/cross bars on the buick for a roof basket,
            currently this is the buick without any mods,

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
              side rails on my jeep couldnt handle roof loads mostly from the kayak, and gear in roof basket
              roof skin was flexing and cracked/rusted
              so ripped through and welded additional support to handle the load, i can now stand on the roof rails and has 0 flex.
              Body work is one of my least favorite mods/repairs... Though sometimes necessary.

Enjoy!

Comment

This is my mod:

Name:	swan dive.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	70815
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Looking good. I made a couple upgrades for camping too.

Name:	ExdimmZl.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	70816 Click image for larger version

Name:	5IV5YnOl.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	70817
                  Best wishes,
                  The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Originally posted by WanderinWhitlows View Post
                    Looking good. I made a couple upgrades for camping too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6053[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6054[/ATTACH]
                    A little more detail would be nice (for those of us not intimately familiar with your vehicle) ...
                    I think that I might be seeing;
                    a side awning (retracted),
                    Rear bumper (with tire and fuel/water carrier...
                    I suspect there is more...

Enjoy!

Comment

A little more detail would be nice (for those of us not intimately familiar with your vehicle) ...
                      I think that I might be seeing;
                      a side awning (retracted),
                      Rear bumper (with tire and fuel/water carrier...
                      I suspect there is more...

Enjoy!
                      We really like camping in remote locations and being self sufficient so this truck has been modified to support those goals. To see details, here is the link to my build thread.
                      Best wishes,
                      The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Looks like a good build and useful trail rig...
                        See you on the trails... (I am a big fan of off road camping too!)

Enjoy!

Comment

Looks like a good build and useful trail rig...
                          See you on the trails... (I am a big fan of off road camping too!)

Enjoy!
                          Thanks, ripped the camper interior out as it was poorly deleloped - by me - and weighed allot being made out of timber. Working with a few more measurements and will order some aluminum 80/20 quick frame. Once that is complete to my satisfaction I'll tackle adding a crawl box.
                          Best wishes,
                          The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Originally posted by WanderinWhitlows View Post
                            Thanks, ripped the camper interior out as it was poorly deleloped - by me - and weighed allot being made out of timber. Working with a few more measurements and will order some aluminum 80/20 quick frame. Once that is complete to my satisfaction I'll tackle adding a crawl box.
                            Well after all, where's the fun in getting it right the first time? Gives you an excuse to be creative. 80/20, is that those square aluminum rails with slots on all 4 sides? Those things have real possibilities. Expensive though.
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              Well after all, where's the fun in getting it right the first time? Gives you an excuse to be creative. 80/20, is that those square aluminum rails with slots on all 4 sides? Those things have real possibilities. Expensive though.
                              Since, IMO, camping gear/vehicles are something that continually evolves, they rarely are done (for long)... building/modification can be called therapy... I call it a hobby/entertainment. The icing on the cake is using it.
                              ...been doing it for nearly half a century; with no end in sight...

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X