Harbor Freight trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight trailer

I'm putting together a trailer to drag through the great southwestern desert.....If any of you have a harbor freight trailer do you see any reason that I can't use a standard 14" wheel (5-4.5) to accomplish two things: 1: To raise that axle up a little higher and 2: To roll through rough country a little more smoothly.

If you're unsure but can measure the distance hub to frame....that should tell me all I'll really need to know.

Thanks greatly, OnTheHill.

Re: Harbor Freight trailer

I've seen them around but never paid attention to the details of how they're put together. But I would imagine the fenders are made to fit the stock wheels. So I'm thinking you could put shackles on the leaf springs and/or an axle flip if the axle isn't already below the springs.

Comment

Cant help
      But heres a close up of a hf trailer owner removed wheel cover for clearance
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4qd...&feature=share

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	70814
      Last edited by terasec; 06-10-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I'd hate to think that the enjoyment of my trip depended on something from Harbor Freight, especially if I were a long way from home.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
          I'd hate to think that the enjoyment of my trip depended on something from Harbor Freight, especially if I were a long way from home.
          Honestly, my first reaction was "the harbor freight quality isn't that great" - on the road for basic stuff, i'd think it would be OK. But for offroading, I suspect the trailer isn't built well enough to hold up to the rough road.

I suspect you'd end up having to reinforce everything. And in that case, you're probably better off buying an old used quality trailer and replacing parts of it.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm aware how poorly made they are....it's really just a starting point if there's room for wider wheels. And if worse came to worse and I had to section in the axle to widen it I could do that as well...I do weld!

Trailers with 14" wheels don't come as cheaply or in the configuration that I imagine. And yes toedtoes "reinforce" where needed.

If the axle width was wide enough to begin with that's just one less chore to do.

Just thinking, OnTheHill

Comment

I have a friend that is a plumber and he owns one of the harbor freight trailers and hasn't had a problem with it that I know of. And he doesn't baby it. Threw some side panels on it and loads it up with trash for runs to the dump or old water heaters for runs to the scrap yard. I think he replaced the wheels with something better but I'm not positive about that.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Don't let me pop your bubble; but after repairing/tightening/reinforcing a number of these trailers (after moderate off road use; how much they didn't say but the owners were not extreme 'wheelers), I came to the conclusion that it is far better to start with good recycle/scrap yard steel, springs, shocks, full floating hubs and spindles etc. and weld your own.
                I'm sure they give fair service on paved roads, for a while...
                My advice if you are set on one of these is to lock-tite and stake if not double nut or tack weld all fasteners (except lug nuts) then use good heavy outdoor rated plywood for the bed with lots of paint on both sides & especially edges, before its is installed, for weather resistance... IMO cheaping out on the bed (thus enhancing frame flex) is one of the biggest issues, that and the tongues have always seemed wimpy to me.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-12-2017, 08:40 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Been using one for about 8 years to haul/store most of my camping gear. Don't do any off roading but it has held up well. Was used when I bought it. Have made several 3 to 5 hour road trips with it.

Comment

From what i've seen and heard, they hold up well to road use, but off-road use stresses them in areas that on-road use doesn't and they can't hold up to that stress.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Just thinking it through is over. I just bought one and assembled it and cut it down to 6' 6" and while I was hesitant I'm surprised at how sturdy it feels just bolted together. I likely would have given the same "be careful" advice. A touch with an angle grinder to remove powder coat at spots to weld and I anticipate long term success.

I see how limited a selection of taller wheels with be given the clearance issues so sectioning and extending the axle is still undecided but pending as to what I'm able to come up with. I think that I'll roll it over some of the local forest service control roads to see how I feel about the 12" wheels rolling through ruts.

So thanks all for looking out for my interests.

OnTheHill.

Comment

You can use 14 or 15" tires if you want. But you will need to add wheel spaces and the stock fenders will have to be moved up.

Comment

Thanks Bluestar.....I've been informed that wheel spacers (in Calif) are illegal. The perfect wheel pattern 5-4.5 is out there but I'm still looking for the one narrow enough or with the appropriate offset. Presently I'm waiting to register it first before too many changes for fear some yahoo at the DMV judges it harshly for whatever reason.

OnTheHill

Comment

So I have a couple of them. I use the 4x4 one to haul a dog box behind a jeep or pickup. That thing has been slammed all over logging roads, through creeks, etc. Some of that is true four wheeling. No trouble!

I wouldn't trust it at 80 mph, because of the quality of the bearings and tires. Driving 30 min at 55 mph top speed and bouncing around for half an hour is different than extended high speed travel. I have considered building a teardrop on the 4x8 since I don't use it much anymore. If I do I'll get two spares and look into carrying extra hubs. Just an FYI base on my experience.

Comment

I have built trailers on both the Harbor Freight and Northern Tool trailers. My experience with the HF trailer was positive. I used the camper for a year and then sold it to build another. The new owner has driven the trailer to AZ an MT and back to WI plus several shorter trips with no issues. He drove on the stock tires and bearings. When I got the trailer I removed the bearings and cleaned and properly greased them. If you are considering one of these trailers it's easy to pick up some new Timkin bearings and install out of the gate of just carry in case of trouble.

My current Teardrop is on a Northern Tool 5X8 trailer. This had wheel spacers added and up graded to 15" tires. The stock bearing were cleaned and greased before the first trip and then again every 5K or so. After 20K miles I just decided to replace the bearing while I had it apart. They still looked great and I saved them in my tool bag for an emergency. I would not hesitate to use either of these trailers, but the tires are the weak part. Some people have used them for years and many miles with no trouble, but others have had a failure quickly. If you choose to run the stock 12" tires I recommend a spare goes with you.

This was the trailer I built with the HF trailer and stock tires and bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              X