Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gear to have when camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best gear to have when camping?

So I am going to a music festival coming up in two weeks. I was wondering if there is some essential gear that I may be not thinking about to bring with me. I pretty much have the basics ready but I am looking for cool items that will make my trip that much better.

Re: What is the best gear to have when camping?

I tend to just take the older and simple stuff to "civilized" events... (nothing that I can't afford to "loose").
    Older but serviceable poncho.
    wide brimmed hat.
    some form of portable water carrier (if nothing else disposable bottles tied to some 550 cord and worn as a bandolier).
    The old quick and easy dome tent,
    a tarp for a ground cloth and another for rain/sun protection...
    The cheaper chairs,
    Cheaper/disposable cooking gear
    a worn but serviceable sleeping bag
    an air mattress (instead of a cot)
    an old moving pad for insulation.
    no electronics that I can't pocket.
    The older camera,
    Free Harbor Freight flashlight etc.
    a good attitude...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you'll be having campfires and cooking your own food, you could pick up a pie iron. If cooking just for yourself, you could use that alone for every meal; sandwiches, burgers, pizza pockets, monkey bread, even omelets. If you'll be with/cooking for a group, get yourself a camp dutch oven. A 10" will help you feed 4-6 people and a 12" will handle 8-10 hungry campers. There are cheaper brands available, but I'd stick with Lodge. Take care of it and your grandkids will be able to take it to a music festival 50 years from now, assuming there is still music worth listening to.

Comment

I take my two burner propane stove to make coffee and simple meals to help with cost of food. I like my tables and take the dorm sized fridge. A round drink cooler is great for ice water, just keep adding ice and as it melts provides cold water for drinking. LED lights for lighting the entrance to the tent when coming back from night time shows. Solar lights to mark my guylines so other campers don't trip on them day or night. I tend to glamp. I have a Thetford flush toilet that I keep in the tent when alone or in a Texsport shower room when the granddaughter goes with me. I keep my toilet paper in a large coffee can. Just got back from a Bluegrass Festival so all this is fresh in my mind. Always come prepared for all kinds of weather. Cold, wind, rain and heat. Hope you had fun if you've already been to your festival!

Comment

When i think weekend festivals all i can think about is mudpits
          even minor rain turns fields a muddy mess

raingear mud boots and extra socks
          as someone mentioned 2 burner stove for meals
          and for good coffee in the morning
          lights are also a nice touch can use solar garden stake lights

Comment

Hoo boy. Cool items that will make your trip that much better? I vote for things that you can use to prank other campers, without it getting back to you. I'm thinking along the lines of items you could place in Porto-Potties, for example. Discreet devices placed near tents that emit electronic beeps randomly, yet are so small as to evade easy detection. Things that create disagreeable odors that can't be washed out. Disarmingly real rubber snakes. And so on....

I'm not a social person. But when I'm forced to be in the company of others I make the most of it.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
            X