Camp shelters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp shelters

I've been thinking for quite some time of getting a camp shelter. I often see ones on sale at big box store that have the slanted legs so you lose a ton of sq footage and they generally look cheap. But as you move up you start getting in fairly expensive or commercial grade shelters which seem like more than I need. My only concern is having a shelter blow away or not hold up to wind/ rain with light weather. I've thought the coleman straight leg shelters didn't look too bad and they have the wall accessories which are nice. I've seen tailgaters actually attach 7 of these together to make one huge shelter/tent.

Suggestions on shelters and 10x10 or 12x12 slant leg versus straight leg. How much difference is there. Which ones to stay away from that (we all have seen) where they are destroyed in the first little wind storm?

thanks

Re: Camp shelters

A couple of my camping friends have straight leg Colemans that have lasted for quite a few years. That includes camping trips and trips to the races, so it's not a matter of infrequent use that speaks to their longevity and durability. They're both straight leg versions - the slant legs don't make much sense to me, unless they're going for a little more stability. My one friend uses weights that are designed specifically for the legs, the other pegs 'em down. If I remember correctly, we've only been out on one trip where the wind tipped one over, but that was before he used the leg weights. Having said all of that, I certainly wouldn't depend on them for anything approaching severe weather. They're rigid structures with a lot of riveted joints and plastic parts that I wouldn't trust to take too much of a beating. Adding accessories like side walls only increases the possibility from wind damage.

Comment

I think it depends on your intended use. Some are only intended to protect from direct sun - they WILL leak if it rains. I have a cheap one I got on Amazon. I rarely use it. I can set it up by myself, which many you have to have at least two people to set up. It isn't rainproof and I hate having to put it away wet and then take it back out when I get home, so I only use it for sun. It does help some with wind, but not that great. I thought I'd use it more, but for 5+ minutes of setting it up, I find it's more hassle than I want (yep, I'm spoiled having my clipper).

If I would really use one, I would get a Clam. They are easy to set up and you don't have to separate the fabric from the supports. Just "pop", "pop", "pop", "pop", and "pop" and it's up; "pop", "pop", "pop", "pop", and "pop" and it's down. The company seems to have a good reputation.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Over the years we (friends and I) have had quite a bit of experience with canopies/shelters camping;
        The slanted leg versions typically measure the area of the played legs at the feet and thus provide less rain/sun shelter.
        Maybe we were just lucky but I don't think any, including the extra cheap multiple piece, assemble it yourself versions, leaked (before they got small holes burned in the tops from campfire sparks; like tents keep them far away from campfires).
        if high winds are expected the legs need to be guyed and staked (note; the long nail-stakes will pull out of the ground especially easy).
        After comparing several of the vertical leg pop up varieties I settled on one from wallymart for around $90.. try to get it on sale and or during and end of season clearance.

One thing we have found quite helpful for early spring//late fall camping are the attachable/detachable walls; when the weather turns cold/really nasty they can be used to make a heatable living room/gathering/social area. I did find that the wally-mart walls are quite noisy in a slight breeze making the combination of canopy + walls less than a good tent.

...I liked my canopy so much that I got a tent to fit it ... makes a fair double wall (damps the canopy wall noise a bit, if I use the walls), double top 9x9 (advertised as 10x10) tent. Some caution is needed selecting a canopy + tent combination as those (made in china) from Stand-Up Tents (if mine is any example) do not fit all 10X10 canopies well (I needed to make strap extension to allow use with my allegedly 10x10 (closer to 9.5x9.5) wallymart canopy.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have a cheap ($30, I think?) 6.5' x 6.5' straight-legged job that I got at Ollies a couple years ago. Thin nylon, not really waterproof, but will hold up to a light drizzle. This was originally purchased as a temporary shelter for my smoker when doing overnight cooks with uncertain weather forecasts (which is pretty much all the time, recently), and for that it works great, providing just enough coverage for the smoker (Weber 22" WSM) and a 2x4' work table. It's starting to show some wear now, particularly the stitching on the corners of the roof, but is still serviceable.

Last year, I "upgraded" to a Quest 10'x10' slant-legged model when Dicks had them for $49. I think labeling them as "10x10" is misleading as that's the distance between the feet. The roof is actually 8'x8', so, yeah, you "lose" about 36 square feet of covered space. However, I've found that it does handle a stiff breeze better than the (very cheap) straight-legged model I have. There are other differences (frame material is significantly thicker/stiffer), which probably has more to do with the stability than the orientation of the legs.

Still, compared to the old one, the 10x10/8x8 model provides more than enough room for camping. It'll easily cover most site-provided picnic tables with room left over for a work table and/or stove. I've actually thought about taking it on scout trips in place of my 3-man tent due to the ease of setup. It's 3 times bulkier and about 8 times heavier than the tent, though, so maybe not...

Comment

I use the Ozark Trail 10x10 instant screen room. Makes a nice secondary outdoor space. It is lightweight and quick to set up and take down. The screen sides seem to cut down on the entire thing taking off in a gust of wind.

When we dry camp it goes over the generator. Nicer to start it up in the shade and keeps some moisture off of us when it rains while we put on the fitted generator cover.
            Last edited by actad; 05-30-2017, 08:00 PM.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
            X