Memorial Day 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day 2017

Well, looks like camping is out for Memorial Day weekend. The high country spot got 3' of snow this week. Plus rain is at a 60% chance up there and down here. Looks like I will need to make other plans
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Memorial Day 2017

Yep! us too, looking at the high country forecast; looks cold and at least moderately wet...
    ...Guess we will stay low and sit around a fire pit with brews and burgers for an evening...(move inside if it decides to precipitate on us).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-22-2017, 06:43 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Memorial Day snuck up on me. I didn't realize it was this weekend until yesterday and I had already promised my brother I would go check out his new house this Saturday. Oh well, probably too crowded anyway.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Memorial Day snuck up on me. I didn't realize it was this weekend until yesterday and I had already promised my brother I would go check out his new house this Saturday. Oh well, probably too crowded anyway.
        I don't know how it is for the rest of the country, but I can't imagine it's too much different than here. All the holiday weekends bring out the novices. The traffic and noise in the parks is crazy and there's no fallen wood for fires to be found anywhere. If you're into hiking, the trails are crowded. Fishing? Try to find a spot where you're not crossing lines with someone. I haven't camped on a holiday weekend since the early 90s.

Comment

Sorry to hear of cancelled plans for this weekend. Bummer. I was washed out 3 weeks ago with torrents of rain. Rained several straight days before my trip...forecast called for consistent rain throughout my trip...so I bailed and called it off. Could have still went...but I envisioned a muddy campsite, muddy gear, and a lot of cleanup of gear post trip. So nah, I wimped out.

I avoid campgrounds on the following holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. I can't remember the last time I was in a campground on those weekends---maybe as a kid? I envy those that can camp on a holiday weekend and find a campsite with peace and solitude. I "will" day visit a state park/forest this weekend and I can usually find a trail or two and hike somewhat alone. If there is a campground at the area I'm in....I'll take a hike to it/thru it just to check out the crowds/tents/campsites and the circuses. Too chaotic for my likings.

I'm at the point where I can pick and choose my camp times since I'm a year-rounder. No need to squeeze all of my camping into the summer months. I don't mind summer camping...but it isn't my favorite camp season.

So, I skip holiday weekends...and go camping the following weekend. Which is exactly what I plan to do in a week or so.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Same here. Three graduations to attend meant no camping this month, but I would rather fall camp than spring camp. Most of the horrible camp neighbors have given up on camping by then. What is left seems more of the outdoors types & hunters and fishers. These are pretty good "neighbors" and considerate at the campground.
            Last edited by actad; 05-25-2017, 07:51 AM.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I don't know how it is for the rest of the country, but I can't imagine it's too much different than here. All the holiday weekends bring out the novices. The traffic and noise in the parks is crazy and there's no fallen wood for fires to be found anywhere. If you're into hiking, the trails are crowded. Fishing? Try to find a spot where you're not crossing lines with someone. I haven't camped on a holiday weekend since the early 90s.
              I actually know a couple spots that don't get overrun but I am still fine with not going. In fact I am going to try to get out in a couple weeks and figure that since everyone is going this weekend it should mean that less people are going for the next few weeks, right?
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

...figure that since everyone is going this weekend it should mean that less people are going for the next few weeks, right?
                Definitely - And it works the other way around, which is why we went last week. The campground was almost empty.

Comment

I actually know a couple spots that don't get overrun but I am still fine with not going. In fact I am going to try to get out in a couple weeks and figure that since everyone is going this weekend it should mean that less people are going for the next few weeks, right?
                  I don't know about less...but perhaps the "type" of camper mix changes and tilts more to the family/outdoors campers and less to the 3 day excuse to drink/party/loud crowd. I shall soon find out as I am camping the weekend after Memorial Day.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    Amen Bro! I don't even camp weekends at ALL if I can avoid it. I prefer weekdays off. Even so, it's mostly about RV's here, so if there's a segregated area for primitive camping it us usually sparsely populated. I enjoy boondocking more than I do developed campgrounds, especially for those weekends in question.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

No camping for me for the long haul. It's been a rough year and a half and it hasn't eased up yet. Maybe by next year.

Normally I don't camp holiday weekends. I camp to get away from people, so camping holidays is pretty much biting myself in the arse.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I had a good weekend anyways. Got the kayak out a couple of times. Went hiking a few times, went to the local oval track. Asphalt, not dirt, unfortunately. Saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          I had a good weekend anyways. Got the kayak out a couple of times. Went hiking a few times, went to the local oval track. Asphalt, not dirt, unfortunately. Saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean
                          How was it?
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            No camping for me for the long haul. It's been a rough year and a half and it hasn't eased up yet. Maybe by next year.

Normally I don't camp holiday weekends. I camp to get away from people, so camping holidays is pretty much biting myself in the arse.
                            I feel you. I went through a rough couple years myself where it seemed nothing went right and I was hit with one unexpected bill after another...and not little ones either. It's like the song says...if you're going through hell keep on moving and you might get out before the devil knows you're there.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

I feel you. I went through a rough couple years myself where it seemed nothing went right and I was hit with one unexpected bill after another...and not little ones either. It's like the song says...if you're going through hell keep on moving and you might get out before the devil knows you're there.
                              Unfortunately he knows where I work... :(
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X