Novice camper, question about KOA campgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice camper, question about KOA campgrounds

I am planning a camping trip to Florida at the end of September, and plan to stop off along the way at a KOA campground. I was wondering if anyone has any idea on the average size for the sites. I just purchased a larger tent for my trip, even though it is just me, due to my desire for space and the fact I am over six feet tall and wanted room to stand up without hitting my head. It isn't huge or anything, but is an 18' x 10' 8 person tent(caught it on sale for $80 so I pulled the trigger, so to speak), 144 sq ft of usable space. Would the KOA sites normally be able to accommodate this size of a tent?

Brad

Re: Novice camper, question about KOA campgrounds

Brad - Welcome to the Forum. You don't say where you are starting on your trip to Florida, but with some trip planning, you should be able to hone in on a KOA stopover somewhere along your route. Why not look them up and give them a call and ask about the size of tent sites?

You might even take a look at a state park as a stopover camp spot. Depending on the park, you may find larger tent sites. Also...the campground may be a bit more peaceful camping experience than a KOA (just my opinion).
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm curious why you're looking specifically at KOAs. It's been years since I toured any of their campgrounds (mostly in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia), but I do remember that the main reasons I never stayed at one was the fact that the sites were pretty small, close to your neighbors and the rates were outrageous compared to other campgrounds and state parks. I second Hoosier's suggestion to consider other places to stay.

Comment

KOA's are a known entity - just like staying at any motel franchise. Most are good, a few are not, but Internet reviews usually give you a heads up. They are close to interstates.

I often camp where the area is the attraction, not the campground, such as visiting friends/family/events or en route to them - seems the OP is doing the same. In these instances, I am at the campground to eat, rest, or use it as a base camp for non-camping type things.

I think a KOA is a perfectly reasonable place to camp - easy access and offering a degree of safety that makes it attractive.

I am only familiar with the two that are near a family member, but the tent sites have plenty of room. One gives the option of electric and water, is near the bathroom, and you stay with your car. The other option is a bit less expensive, you hike all your stuff from your car to a "primative" non-utility site away from your car. Since I am using my tent as my own hotel room, I always choose the "glamping" option for a few bucks more.
        Last edited by actad; 05-25-2017, 07:34 AM.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

as actad mentioned koa is pretty reliable,
          its a franchise and most koa's have similar standards
          for size restrictions that may come down to local koa and not koa across the board,
          heavy tourist areas where they pack them in, may have more size restrictions,
          less populated areas may have less restrictions
          campground by my land was a koa campground for years, then became independent
          no difference in the campground rules/restrictions since they dropped the koa franchise

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            ...heavy tourist areas where they pack them in, may have more size restrictions...
            That explains why the KOAs I've seen are cramped. They're all near historical landmarks. It sure would be nice to see one "way out west somewhere".

Comment

We camp at KOAs when we are traveling and there isn't a state park or another option that takes tents. The sites are small but most of the time the restrooms are clean. There has been a couple of exceptions to the clean restrooms but you will have that any where.

As others recommend, I would look first for a state park or county park close to where you would like to stop. We find it more relaxing. KOAs are easy to find but they are very close to the highway and we don't sleep as well.

Comment

KOA is certainly tried and true, usually. My general experience is that when it is just me and my spouse we do not like KOA because of the small sites and "franchise" feel. When our kids were little, it was fabulous to have a pool because when there's a pool that's all the kids want to do even in the rain.

There are apps, guidebooks, and other ways to find out about campgrounds and generall reviews. AAA has great camping guidebooks, however I find the reviews/ratings are mostly (but not all) geared towards the RV camper. Also the Trip Advisor website and app are getting better at including campground reviews. I'm sure others on this site can throw in other web sites.

We used to live and camp in Florida. I don't remember the dimensions, but we used a HUGE four room tent that I just gave away to a grandma who is about to introduce her grandkids to camping. We only had trouble once fitting on the Fort Wilderness camp site at Disney. (Don't judge. The annual pass is what you do when you live in Florida.) My personal favorite was Blue Stream State Park. Crystal clear water at 72-degrees all year long.

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                X