Recharging On the Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging On the Go

Has anyone Rigged a system where they are charging the Trailer 12V off of the tow vehicle while driving? If so, what did you use?

Re: Recharging On the Go

Many modern tow vehicles/pickups have this (extra charging wire) included in their trailer wiring.
    Back in the stone ages (20th century) I just ran a battery isolator (solid state gizmo, likely a pair of heavy duty diodes although they can be made with relays) to keep the trailer from running down the vehicle battery yet let the vehicle charge the house/trailer battery.

Any more I just connect the 12 Volt battery in parallel with the vehicle battery awhile the vehicle is running (need to be able to guestimate how long to keep them connected/let the second battery charge.. I'm certain that it can be hard on the second battery; besides having all the hazards of jump starting... can't recommend it)...

Enjoy!

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

When I had a popup - and well before I went crazy on solar - I simply ran a fused wire from the battery of my truck back to the batteries on the trailer. And, like HJ alluded to, had to guess how much charge I was putting into the battery. I took a bit of the danger of overcharging out of the picture by using a multimeter to test 'em from time to time.

Comment

My clipper does this. We rewired it so that there is a few second delay before the alternator starts charging the house battery. This way, the starting battery gets all the "oomph" at start up (better ensuring it stays started). The other thing we did was to add a switch. Now, if my starting battery is dead or dying, I can flip the switch and jumpstart it with the house battery.

The alternator should be wired through the house battery charger/converter. That way the charger/converter is controlling the charge. Nowadays a smart converter/charger is a no-brainer to buy - Progressive Dynamics is a well-known and popular brand. It will keep you from overcharging your house battery.

Also, for those of us with older vehicles that don't have fancy battery meters, etc., I picked up a 12v car clock and a 12v splitter that both have a battery meter built in. When they are plugged into the cigarette lighter plug, they read the battery power. Makes it so nice to see at a glance. I've tested them both and they read pretty true (slight variations but nothing significant). I'm going to pick up another https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-3-Sock...power+splitter for the house battery - I have one 12v outlet for charging my cell phone, etc., that I can plug it into. It will give me 3 12v plugs, 4 USB plugs and the battery meter in the house. It also has a switch so it can be turned off without unplugging.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
        X