Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: 1st trip of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I've gone to cookouts with the "new people", so I'm not worried.
    On the other hand, I AM pissed off about the new solar controller. I just tested it today and I'm not getting any better charge with it than I did with the cheap PWM controller. When I'm done writing this, I'm going to Amazon to write a review, throwing it under a bus.
    Which controller is the new one (linky)?

Enjoy!
    Old, well set up, CJ-7, lockers, 4:1 Tcase, 4.56 gears, 35" MTs, winch... for the far places...
    For "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 32" MTs .
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Which controller is the new one (linky)?
    https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contro...ews/B01GMUPH0O

It's really a generic version of who-knows-what-company-actually-makes-it, but they had the best price at the moment.
    11.3% more sarcasm in 2017

3. Thanks Happy Joe thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Raging Buddhist:-) That name sounds familiar, almost as if I had heard it before, or something like it.
    Last edited by Irate Mormon; 05-17-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    2017: Oklahoma bound!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I took my first trip with my Grand Trunk Double two weeks ago. I was meeting a guy at Chemin-au-Haut Bayou to collect a certain fish that occurs there. The water was very high and we got skunked. Anyway, it took me about 5 minutes to find the right trees, and maybe 3 minutes to hang and adjust the hammock. I was maybe 20 feet from the bayou itself. Now, there is a noise you don't want to hear when you are miles from the nearest house, off a road with no discernible traffic, where you do NOT expect to run into another human. And that noise is THUMPING BASS. It dark and I was relaxing in my camp chair when I heard what sounded like a 20lb piece of rip rap being thrown into the water. It was that loud. Now that, combined with the thumping b**** was unsettling. I shone a flashlight around but could not spot anything, not even ripples in the water, A few minutes later it happened again. I looked harder this time but still could spot nothing. I heard the normal sounds of fishes jumping too, but that did not disturb me. I read for a couple of hours (Anne Rule's book about the Green River killer, talk about appropriate reading!) before turning in and enjoying the best sleep I have ever had. I am telling you guys, a properly set up hammock beats a sleeping bag on the ground all to hell. So the next morning I was just sitting in my chair watching nature and stuff, and a beaver made an appearance. So the mystery of the loud splash was solved.

One thing I determined is that I won't get another double hammock. My thinking was that I would be able to get a flatter lay by using the extra width. Instead it makes sitting up in the hammock more problematic and it doesn't lay any flatter. I am glad I brought a camping chair with me. I didn't use my tarp or bug netting because it turned too cool for mosquitoes and there was no chance of rain.

I have used my son's Warbonnet Blackbird (aka "the blackbird of happiness") and although it is very comfortable indeed, I was very happy with my Grand Trunk at about 1/4 the price of a Blackbird. I ditched the heavy carabiners that came with it and also the clunky suspension, which I replaced with a dyneema whoopie suspension and two "toggles" made of small sections of carbon fiber arrows. This reduced the weight considerably and also simplified setup. One thing I do need is some 10' tree straps...the ones I have will not wrap around a large tree, which is one reason it took so long to find two good trees. Plus a number of trees had "widowmakers" (dead branches) overhanging where I would have hung my hammock. Yeah, there's always an excuse to buy more gear!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    Raging Buddhist:-) That name sounds familiar, almost as if I had heard it before, or something like it.
    I was surprised to find that I'm not the only one to use that nick - it was already taken when I tried to set up new email addresses at Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail - but I've used it on more than a few online sites. I started using it when WinMX was still a hot file sharing site. I guess we both have the same contradiction in terms going with our online personas.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    11.3% more sarcasm in 2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

My nick is an anagram of my actual name :-) It was bestowed upon me by a fellow phish-head, after visiting Inge's Anagram Generator. I liked it so much that I adopted it permanently.

Thread Information