1st trip of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st trip of 2017

Well I made reservations for this Saturday. In a campground, but near a large lake, so it's ok. Plan on trying the new truck tent out and kayaking. Should be a good one.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: 1st trip of 2017

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    Well I made reservations for this Saturday. In a campground, but near a large lake, so it's ok. Plan on trying the new truck tent out and kayaking. Should be a good one.
    Can't wait to hear how it works out...on a related note, my new boss has a step built into his tailgate. It is pretty cool. The top of the tailgate opens up and a step pulls out. It even has a lever on the inside of the tailgate that, with the tailgate open, raises straight up so you have a handle to help pull you up.

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Have fun. Enjoy!

Comment

Yeah, there are few trucks out in the parking lot have that those things. I have messed around with them, and they are pretty nice, but no 50K nice.

Comment

Around this time next week, I'll be reaching for a bottle of Southern Comfort to go with my eggs and bacon. Going out on Thursday for a long awaited first trip of the year that, for some reason isn't going to include a lot of the regulars in our gang of idiots. But, as it turns out, the numbers are going to be be filled out with some new idiots - people I've known for a while but who haven't seen our brand of camping. I'm pretty excited to see how the improved solar setup works and how well the movies are going to look.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 05-12-2017, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Plan on trying the new truck tent out and kayaking.
            Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            I'm pretty excited to see how the improved solar setup works and how well the movies are going to look.
            It's that time of year when new gear gets the initial try out.

Hope both of you have successful camping trips. Make sure to take/post some pics of your new stuff in action along with a first impression "how it went" update.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, there are few trucks out in the parking lot have that those things. I have messed around with them, and they are pretty nice, but no 50K nice.
              Yeah, when I looked up the picture I saw the prices on them but I was in a hurry and thought it might just be some of the crazy prices you sometimes see online. Obviously it wasn't.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Around this time next week, I'll be reaching for a bottle of Southern Comfort to go with my eggs and bacon. Going out on Thursday for a long awaited first trip of the year that, for some reason isn't going to include a lot of the regulars in our gang of idiots. But, as it turns out, the numbers are going to be be filled out with some new idiots - people I've known for a while but who haven't seen our brand of camping. I'm pretty excited to see how the improved solar setup works and how well the movies are going to look.
                Lol, good luck with that.
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  Lol, good luck with that.
                  I've gone to cookouts with the "new people", so I'm not worried.
                  On the other hand, I AM pissed off about the new solar controller. I just tested it today and I'm not getting any better charge with it than I did with the cheap PWM controller. When I'm done writing this, I'm going to Amazon to write a review, throwing it under a bus.

Comment

It was a pretty good trip. Windy as hell through. I adjusted where I but the bed rails on for the truck tenta and it made a difference. Found some small things to ad/change.
                    The new (to me) kayak is awesome. Old Town Predator 13. Feels like a battleship compared to my other one. Going to be a good summer from the deck of that one.

Comment

I've gone to cookouts with the "new people", so I'm not worried.
                      On the other hand, I AM pissed off about the new solar controller. I just tested it today and I'm not getting any better charge with it than I did with the cheap PWM controller. When I'm done writing this, I'm going to Amazon to write a review, throwing it under a bus.
                      Which controller is the new one (linky)?

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        Which controller is the new one (linky)?
                        https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contro...ews/B01GMUPH0O

It's really a generic version of who-knows-what-company-actually-makes-it, but they had the best price at the moment.

Comment

Raging Buddhist:-) That name sounds familiar, almost as if I had heard it before, or something like it.
                          Last edited by Irate Mormon; 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I took my first trip with my Grand Trunk Double two weeks ago. I was meeting a guy at Chemin-au-Haut Bayou to collect a certain fish that occurs there. The water was very high and we got skunked. Anyway, it took me about 5 minutes to find the right trees, and maybe 3 minutes to hang and adjust the hammock. I was maybe 20 feet from the bayou itself. Now, there is a noise you don't want to hear when you are miles from the nearest house, off a road with no discernible traffic, where you do NOT expect to run into another human. And that noise is THUMPING BASS. It dark and I was relaxing in my camp chair when I heard what sounded like a 20lb piece of rip rap being thrown into the water. It was that loud. Now that, combined with the thumping b**** was unsettling. I shone a flashlight around but could not spot anything, not even ripples in the water, A few minutes later it happened again. I looked harder this time but still could spot nothing. I heard the normal sounds of fishes jumping too, but that did not disturb me. I read for a couple of hours (Anne Rule's book about the Green River killer, talk about appropriate reading!) before turning in and enjoying the best sleep I have ever had. I am telling you guys, a properly set up hammock beats a sleeping bag on the ground all to hell. So the next morning I was just sitting in my chair watching nature and stuff, and a beaver made an appearance. So the mystery of the loud splash was solved.

One thing I determined is that I won't get another double hammock. My thinking was that I would be able to get a flatter lay by using the extra width. Instead it makes sitting up in the hammock more problematic and it doesn't lay any flatter. I am glad I brought a camping chair with me. I didn't use my tarp or bug netting because it turned too cool for mosquitoes and there was no chance of rain.

I have used my son's Warbonnet Blackbird (aka "the blackbird of happiness") and although it is very comfortable indeed, I was very happy with my Grand Trunk at about 1/4 the price of a Blackbird. I ditched the heavy carabiners that came with it and also the clunky suspension, which I replaced with a dyneema whoopie suspension and two "toggles" made of small sections of carbon fiber arrows. This reduced the weight considerably and also simplified setup. One thing I do need is some 10' tree straps...the ones I have will not wrap around a large tree, which is one reason it took so long to find two good trees. Plus a number of trees had "widowmakers" (dead branches) overhanging where I would have hung my hammock. Yeah, there's always an excuse to buy more gear!
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              Raging Buddhist:-) That name sounds familiar, almost as if I had heard it before, or something like it.
                              I was surprised to find that I'm not the only one to use that nick - it was already taken when I tried to set up new email addresses at Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail - but I've used it on more than a few online sites. I started using it when WinMX was still a hot file sharing site. I guess we both have the same contradiction in terms going with our online personas.
                              Last edited by MacGyver; 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X