Thread: Solar powered lantern

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Solar powered lantern

I'm a great fan of warm LED "bulbs" (~2700K). Will never miss the glaring light from mantle lanterns (nor the fragile mantles or in tent air pollution). Never cared for the bluish/purple light from the early LEDs either.
    ...X2 on personal preference and variety of choice...

(wow! the like button has started working again for me)...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

We too purchased solar lights led lamps for camping. Although we purchased Sauoki brand. This will primarily be used in the tent. I usually like warmer light but these fold up small and we don't spend a lot of time in the tent.

We have Coleman lanterns for those nights it get dark early but we only use it for cleaning up. The rest of the time we use head lamps if needed. We aren't big fans of light pollution. I love star gazing. I was frustrated after driving 1,000 miles to find a place dark enough to see the Milky Way and the campsites on both sides of us ran their Coleman lanterns all night. The most frustrating part is they stayed inside. I understand that we camp to get away from the noise and lights and others camp to party. I think others are uncomfortable in the dark. Sorry for the rant.

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by a65hoosier View Post
    I'm sure it has taken a chunk. One used to be able to walk around and see Coleman lanterns lighting up campsites. Now...it's much much much more LED lanterns.

Except...I really don't care for the light quality given off by some LED's. I find the bluish/white light produced by some to be quite irritating to my old eyes. The light has the same quality of basement hallway lighting in an old institution.

But....LED technology has improved quite a bit and one can now find LED's dipping down into the lower "warm" whites on the Kelvin scale (typically 2000-4000k). This light will come across as more "yellow" white rather than "blue" white. I have a few lanterns that contain these warmer LED's. If you like yellowish while...select a LED lantern with lower Kelvin ratings....if you like bluish white, then a higher Kelvin rating is what you'll prefer.

I use LED's in the tent (3 season usage typically) and on my head (headlamp-I suppose using a fuel powered headlamp would be dangerous-lol...altho cavers used them years ago).

Overall...I still prefer my fuel powered lanterns for several reasons. I have moved more to the micro/mini single mantle lanterns powered by butane/propane mix fuel and away from my Coleman large size propane or fuel powered lanterns. With a Kovea/similar adapter, I can also run these micro/minis off the single green 1lb propane tanks-which are more cost effective over the butane/propane blends). I like these because 3 or 4 mini/micros take up the same space as 1 big Coleman lantern and I can station them around the campsite as needed and run them on a lower/less bright setting since they are placed just where I need task lighting.

As a side note...in the winter, a fuel powered lantern is much warmer than an LED lantern.

To each there own...personal preference is a great thing.....happy camping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    I'm a great fan of warm LED "bulbs" (~2700K). Will never miss the glaring light from mantle lanterns (nor the fragile mantles or in tent air pollution). Never cared for the bluish/purple light from the early LEDs either.
    ...X2 on personal preference and variety of choice...

(wow! the like button has started working again for me)...

Enjoy!
    I have always found it funny that people don't like the 'blue' led lights. It is the same light spectrum of sunlight so you see it every day when you go outside. Same thing with the CFL bulbs that people didn't like the shape of...it is just because you are used to the shape of incandescent bulbs.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    I have always found it funny that people don't like the 'blue' led lights. It is the same light spectrum of sunlight so you see it every day when you go outside. Same thing with the CFL bulbs that people didn't like the shape of...it is just because you are used to the shape of incandescent bulbs.
    Full clear sky can run in the up to 10000k - 15000k range, which is actually a harsh light and would be blinding in an LED. Average daylight 5500-6000k. Sunglasses? A lot of folks use them during the day for more than just uv protection. Dusk/Dawn light drops into the 2000-3000k range. I like to stay around the dusk/dawn level in k warmth in LED's for camp at night as I find it more pleasant to my eye than kicking the LED rating up into that harsher blue/white higher daylight spectrum. Campfires likewise come in on the low end of the scale (<3000k). lol...I don't want to wear my sunglasses at night... (there's a song there somewhere.. ).

Personal preference. Just depends on the light scale you prefer in camp when you need/want lighting.
    2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12

5. Likes Happy Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Put some LED lights 12 - 15 feet in the air and it won't matter what color they are. It'll bathe about a 50 foot circle in just enough light to see what you're doing. No glare and no bugs in your face.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

just used the solar LED lantern this weekend
    it was great, 1 charge lasted me friday and saturday nights without a problem
    was glad not to have regular lantern to lug around,
    one of my flashlights button was turned on while in the pack, dead battery, made me appreciate the solar lantern that much more

Thread Information