Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going over to the Darkkkk Side for this year's Kiddo Camp Trip

Using paper plates and bamboo cutlery whenever possible:confused:

Errrrrrrrr but but I have 'scuses that have NOTHING to do with trying to avoid seeing dish towels dragged through the dirt, feeling plates after they've been washed and dried and noting grease and specks of food, wondering if this is the next generation of wild ravening wolves getting ready to run with the pack who'll need a cleaning lady and nannies to survive (not that there is anything wrong with boosting the economy in that manner to my way of thinking; still wud be nice if the kiddos knew how to do for themselves so they can "stuporvise" w/ wild abandon later on).

Nope none of the above is flashing through my head in Technicolor and Surround Sound.
    It's just we'll be primitive camping in bear country w/o a bear box.

They will still have to wash the pots and serving platters and maybe drinking utensils too but it wouldn't be camping unless I get to play Simone Legree:angel:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Going over to the Darkkkk Side for this year's Kiddo Camp Trip

A little off the topic of dishes, mentioning "dark side" and "camping in bear country" in the same post made me think of this dark movie "Backcountry" on Netflix. I've been seeking out Canadian movies because of a forthcoming camping trip to the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec this summer. "Backcountry" is a cheesy attempt at a scary movie involving camping and bears. If you don't mind the genre, it might be fun to watch, but don't watch it if bears make you nervous.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-26-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
      A little off the topic of dishes, mentioning "dark side" and "camping in bear country" in the same post made me think of this dark movie "Backcountry" on Netflix. I've been seeking out Canadian movies because of a forthcoming camping trip to the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec this summer. "Backcountry" is a cheesy attempt at a scary movie involving camping and bears. If you don't mind the genre, it might be fun to watch, but don't watch it if bears make you nervous.
      I'm all for letting a topic take you were it will so don't you worry about a thing.

I haven't seen that movie yet but will prolly watch it on the QT without the Princess who is still, yes, still afraid of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz and no I haven't dared bought tickets to see "Wicked' w/ her yet. For someone who can dance on the edge of a cliff with ease I find some of her fears a bit weird but we all have something irrational in our psyches.

I like to immerse self in the arts and history of an area I'm visiting too!

In anticipation of this trip we've watched " Northwest Passage" and 2 versions of "The Last of the Mohicans"; visited a local exhibition of J.F.Cooper's life and times, and are in the process of reading James Fenimore Cooper's "Leatherstocking Tales". In the coming weeks we'll be visiting the Corocan Gallery and National Gallery of Art to view some of the Hudson School art works there. Trying to find a beginners' source of Adirondack folk music to complete the sensory tour.

So much to get in the feeling of the Gaspe region out there:

"Mon oncle Antoine". Think it's only available with subtitles
      Anne of Green Gables in a general manner it details the late 19th century lifestyle of Canadians in a mixed cultural society.
      "C.R.A.Z.Y"..pretty sure it's both dubbed and in subtitles
      "The Kids in the Hall" a comedy series that gives insight into pan Canadian humor.

This is all I can think of for the moment but if something else pops into my head I'll post again.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        I watched that. For bear attack while camping movies, I prefer Night of the Grizzly.

For Canadian movies, check out: Slither, Men with Brooms, and Gunless. Oh, and if you like dark humor, check out Niagara Motel

As for camping in Canada, be careful of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvL6b5G6k
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I actually didn't mind Backcountry. Sure it was cheesy, but the events in the movie are realistic enough to make us hikers/campers think about how this type of situation could very possibly arise while enjoying the great outdoors.

Another bear movie I enjoyed was Into The Grizzly Maze. It even has a few well known actors in it. James Marsden, Thomas Jane, Billy Bob Thornton, Scott Glenn & Piper Perabo. Yes, it's a bit cheesy also, but may be worth the watch to you.
          Last edited by SpitzoMT; 05-01-2017, 01:47 AM. Reason: Corrected some spelling errors.
          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

How did I miss almost every grizzly theme movie listed?!
            Except "Night of the Grizzly" which basically taught us much about how we should camp now.

Vampire Beavers.................hysterical anddddddddd the Princess is NOT gonna hear it either. I can imaginer her now:"Noonieeeeeee! Come to the bathroom with me so the vampire beavers don't get me"...or some such variation:out:
            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              How did I miss almost every grizzly theme movie listed?!
              Except "Night of the Grizzly" which basically taught us much about how we should camp now.

Vampire Beavers.................hysterical anddddddddd the Princess is NOT gonna hear it either. I can imaginer her now:"Noonieeeeeee! Come to the bathroom with me so the vampire beavers don't get me"...or some such variation:out:
              :mdr:

It's been identified as the unofficial official anthem of Canada. There's a movie, Zombeavers, also. It's doesn't quite have the style of vampire beavers, but it's quite hilarious.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
              X