drying clothes and shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying clothes and shoes

This is my stumbling block. The clothes I can pretty much line dry but drying shoes escapes me. I have 9 young children coming to camp with me mother's day weekend. Tame campground, lots to do, but always shoes are a problem. Parents don't always bring extra shoes, and dirt sandy shoes that are wet cause all kinds of feet trouble. I try to have extra shoes from goodwill or something, but WHAT is the best way to get shoes dry at a campsite. On top the car if there is one is futile. If there is something I can make (forest of young trees next to me) let me know descriptive please. Thanks.

Re: drying clothes and shoes

Unfortunately, there really isn't a quick way to dry shoes. I remember my 5th (and again in 6th) grade camping trip with my class. We camped down by the ocean just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. There was no swimming, but we could chase the waves. The rule was if your shoes get wet, you have to go back to camp. So, siblings handed down the ultimate words of advice to each other:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bring at least one extra pair of shoes.

That way, if you got your shoes wet in the surf, you could quietly slip up to camp, change your shoes and come back down and the teachers wouldn't know you got wet so you could keep playing.

The problem is that with just one pair of shoes, the kids will be wearing them during the day when the sun is out. The best solution is to let them sit in full sun to dry out. But, you can't do that if they have to wear them during the day.

So, I think your best bet is to really stress the importance of two pairs of shoes per child. Stress it to both the parents and the kids - if the parents don't care, then work on getting the kids to see the importance of it. Tell them if they don't bring a second pair of shoes, then they will not be allowed to do X activity - then hold to that. After that, the kids will remember the rule regardless of what the parents do.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Remembering (way) back, when we were quite young Mom always made sure that we were wearing canvas sneakers (can you even get these any more) in the woods and for fishing because they dry relatively quickly.
      Currently I have found that the inexpensive light weight (non leather, non water proof, look like ballistic nylon uppers) "hiking boots/shoes" are quite sneaker like and dry relatively quickly on the feet... having several pairs of dry socks along can help; though not as much as not walking/jumping in streams lakes, deep puddles (kid thing ...just let 'em go and wring them out later and change into dry shoes & socks for the trip home).

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I dunno, when I was a kid folks had a hard time getting us kids to wear shoes at all. If I had one pair, that was one too many.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Is there a reason you can't just sit them by the fire and rotate them often? Other than that you can pick up cheap water shoes or even some sandals to wear in the water.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I have always heard to take out the insoles and stuff with newspaper or paper towels to dry shoes.

My daughter (she is 42) and I purchased cheap canvas slip on shoes and waterproofed them for around camp because we were tired of having wet feet from the dew. Of course this would be hard with other people's kids.

Comment

The only thing I've ever done to speed up drying my boots is to drive a pointed branch into the ground near a fire, tie the boots together by the laces and hang 'em on the branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                I have always heard to take out the insoles and stuff with newspaper or paper towels to dry shoes.

My daughter (she is 42) and I purchased cheap canvas slip on shoes and waterproofed them for around camp because we were tired of having wet feet from the dew. Of course this would be hard with other people's kids.

Yeah, I think that's the real problem. The other parents won't bother to pack a second pair of shoes - they don't care.

I hate to say it, but maybe let the kids go home with wet shoes and let them grumble about it. When the parents complain, point out on the packing list that they were required to bring a spare pair. And make sure you have a written packing list given to the parents.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Not really a good way to quickly dry a pair of shoes without risking damage to the materials if those shoes are not "quick dry" style. All above methods work (fire, newspapers, etc.), but none are real quick. The fire works..but you gotta be real careful not to melt plastics/rubbers or dry/bake leather.

I'm assuming that you send each parent of a kid a packing list (I'm also assuming it includes extra pair shoes and/or flip flops or slides -for showers etc).

Is there any kind of "check-in" for these parents as they drop off their kids in your care (for their gear/clothing/required Rx's, etc.)? Or do they just "dump and run" relishing the thought of a childless weekend? Checking them in by taking a moment and going through their duffel bag for checklist gear/clothing would be a good way to let the parent know right then and there of the ramifications of the missing items (cold kid, blisters, illnesses/allergies, and on and on) and how you should proceed without that item. It might be something really critical forgotten like Rx or sleeping gear. Perhaps it's a "no can go without this item. A deal breaker." There's a reason to bring the stuff....

You having responsibility for 9 young kids on a campout is a huge deal. Cooperation and coordination with their parents is key. If you're not getting it, then a discussion is in order with those parents.

I get your perspective in wanting to make sure the kids have a great and safe time...I do the same thing in Scouts by bringing an extra sleeping bag, socks, gloves, hat, etc. on camp trips (esp winter trips) for those parents that have the checklist and 1) either don't care 2). don't know cause they didn't read the checklist or don't realize the need for the items listed, or 3). the kid whose parents packed everything on the checklist and still manages to soak everything.) On our family trips...I finally stopped worrying about everybody's personal duffel (of course, we've been doing this as a family forever, so everyone knows what to bring---but still, ooopsies happen). I manage the largest part with our camping gear/food/kitchen/fuel/my duffel and the dog's stuff. If they forget something personal like clean skivvies..well, depending on what it is and whether somebody's got an extra that fits ..it's usually a "deal with it...sorry" (and they never forget that item next time-lol)

Do the kids bring flipflops or slides along with the shoes on their feet? Maybe those with a pair of socks make for a good back up pair.

Or maybe having on hand some really cheap dollar store flip flops in various sizes (they don't have to fit each kid perfectly...maybe small/medium/large?) in some nasty color as backups from you will reduce the problem of wet shoes and "my folks didn't pack me anything else" problem.
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    Yeah, I think that's the real problem. The other parents won't bother to pack a second pair of shoes - they don't care.

I hate to say it, but maybe let the kids go home with wet shoes and let them grumble about it. When the parents complain, point out on the packing list that they were required to bring a spare pair. And make sure you have a written packing list given to the parents.
                    ...and the accompanying blisters.....

I hate to agree....but sometimes it takes some slight discomfort to drive home the point. Rescuing doesn't improve the person's future prep/planning thinking...the results reinforces the belief someone will bail you out and therefore no prep/plans are needed from them. No need to think ahead. :(
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
                      This is my stumbling block. The clothes I can pretty much line dry but drying shoes escapes me. I have 9 young children coming to camp with me mother's day weekend. Tame campground, lots to do, but always shoes are a problem. Parents don't always bring extra shoes, and dirt sandy shoes that are wet cause all kinds of feet trouble. I try to have extra shoes from goodwill or something, but WHAT is the best way to get shoes dry at a campsite. On top the car if there is one is futile. If there is something I can make (forest of young trees next to me) let me know descriptive please. Thanks.
                      I send parents a packing list and ask them not to deviate...OK OK I demand....
                      This doesn't stop a shoe or two from being lost on every trip but hey it is what it is.

The newspaper and sticks by the fire idea also work well as the paper helps to reshape the shoes.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

When I used to take my nieces for weekend visits, I got tired of their mom letting them pack their own stuff (at the ripe age of 4) and having to buy them toothbrushes, underwear, pajamas, etc. because they filled their suitcases with stuffed animals. So, when I picked them up, I went through a roll call.

Do you have a toothbrush?
                        Do you have underwear?
                        Do you have pajamas?
                        Do you long pants?
                        Do you have shoes that fit?
                        Do you have real shoes and not just flip flops?
                        Do you have socks?

Everything else I could work around, but those things were the priorities. If they said no to any item, I told them they either go upstairs to get them or I go home alone. I always did it in front of their parents, but it never fazed the parents - they continued to not care if the kids were prepared or not.

If this is a group trip (like scouts, etc.), then I would declare that any child arriving at the drop off point without 2 pairs of shoes will be driven home immediately and would not be able to go on the trip. I suspect the threat of that might convince the parents to ensure 2 pairs of shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          If they forget something personal like clean skivvies..well, depending on what it is and whether somebody's got an extra that fits ..it's usually a "deal with it...sorry" (and they never forget that item next time-lol)
                          This reminds me of this interview with Billy Swan http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview-billy-swan.shtml

"You got underwear on" - "then you're good".

Comment

It happens very often that when you go hiking, trekking or camping, the conditions will not be always perfect for you to enjoy a dry and warm day in the nature. In the great outdoors, weather is more unpredictable and we’re not carrying all that we need to stay dry and comfortable. This is why hikers and campers need to be prepared both mentally and physically that they will get wet from time to time.
                            Slightly damp clothes in combination with low body temperature can cause hypothermia. So, wear loose clothes to let body perspiration escape and not accumulate on your skin. This will also keep your sweat evaporating rather than dampening your clothes. A good tip to keep your clothes dry in the first place is to spray a water repellent to minimize the absorption of your clothes.
                            The main things you need to keep in mind when preparing to dry your clothes are:
                            • Low humidity
                            • Large surface on the clothes (spreading them as much as possible)
                            • Moderate temperatures
                            • Low air pressure
                            • One great way to dry clothes, socks, mittens and shoes is to get hand warmers.

Comment

Kids can't seem to have fun without getting wet, either accidentally or on purpose! I like the cheap water shoes idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X