Large Family Tent - Various Weather Conditions - Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Large Family Tent - Various Weather Conditions - Suggestions Please

Adding more components to the decision... If you go with a straight wall tent you could get by with a slightly smaller tent if you get bunk beds for the young ones. Not that I have any recent personal experience with campgrounds with pads for tents, I'm pretty sure I've read where some places only allow for tents up to 10x10. That might sound large, but a 10x10 with four people, even children, plus gear, gets crowded. Bunk beds (as in, the Disc-o-bed for children) knocks the sleeping area footprints down to three and gives you storage space under the bed, further opening up room inside.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-31-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

The bunk beds are a great idea to help with reducing space needs. Several folks here have them and seem to like them a lot.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by RandiZ View Post
        Others on this site have far more experience than I do. But after going camping with a group of experienced campers a few times, I have definitely learned that everyone has a way of doing things and you learn as you go about what suits you (me) specifically. I guess what I'm saying is just go out and have fun. Make sure at least for the first few times you camp that you are near a big outdoor/rv store or Walmart so no mistake can't be fixed or forgotten item purchased.
        I missed this the first go round, but this is good advice.

OP - If you can, take a "practice" overnight trip (or two/three) to a local state park or campground (or even in the backyard) well before your trip...fully loaded out...it will give you a chance to really assess your gear, your overall packing/storage, what works/what doesn't, pitching tent, cooking, bedding, etc. etc. it would probably be very beneficial before going out on a long consecutive overnight trip. Utilize a checklist.

The other part is...get out and enjoy. Camping isn't hard and your family and you are in for some good times (your trips sound like a great adventures). Roll with it. Bond together as a team. Give everyone if possible some camp responsibilities. Some "stuff" will not go as planned, it's gonna rain on you, dinner/food may get burned, etc etc etc but as you go along, you'll adapt and make changes in how you all do things (the "practice" trips will help you quickly dial in the big items within your set-up---rather than adjusting on the road. You'll still tinker and fine tune...I do every year) . The kids will have memories no matter...the great, the good, the ooops...you are building future campfire stories.

Please do keep us updated.
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 06-02-2017, 06:18 AM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

A friend of mine has a Copper Canyon 6 that's about 10 years old that he and his family love. I was looking at them and found a great deal on the now-discontinued Silver Canyon 6, which is essentially the same tent in a different color with a full-length rainfly and vestibules at each door. We've only camped in it a couple times, but one weekend last Fall it withstood driving rain and 25-30 MPH winds without an issue. The Copper's rainfly, not being full-length, may not be quite as stable. However, it's still a great tent.

In my experience, Coleman tents are good for a a few years of infrequent use, but they're not going to last as long as better quality tents. The upside is that they're often 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of comparably-sized tents from better manufacturers, so if you have to replace it every 2 years, it's not that big a pain in the wallet.

Also, as others have mentioned, don't go overboard on the size. When we camp, it's me, the wife and our nearly 11-year old, and the 6-person Eureka (10x10' footprint) has plenty of space. It'll easily hold a queen size air mattress for you and the Mrs. and a couple single-sized ones for the kids. I see so many people who have these gigantic tents with 2 and three rooms and wonder why they need that much space. Heck, when I was a kid (I'm the youngest of 9), we camped in an ancient cabin tent that was probably not much bigger than 10x10. Granted, that was just the kids tent and my parents were in a separate one by themselves, but still, togetherness is part of the experience!

Comment

Hi mxa104 and welcome!

I own a large Eureka CC (it's getting so I can't be sure if it's the old version of a 10 or 12 but I'm veering more toward 12 in my memory banks). It's served me well for the last 10 odd years with only a new rainfly replacement. Yes, I seam seal/waterproof it annually but find it an easy "all together now" process that allows the kiddos to understand and collaborate in what keeps them.

I like the way it's set up with 2 doors on opposite sides whose placement allow maximum space for bed set ups. Like others I utilize a disco-bed bunk bed to sleep the 2 youngest and a twin air mattress for the teenager. The adults sleep in a queen sized air mattress on a stand. We have ample walking and storage space with this set up. I don't bother using the privacy curtain as traditionally shown since the younger kiddos still like to see us when they wake up in the middle of the night. Instead, of late, I've gerrymandered the curtain to give the teenybooper some privacy by adding hook and loop tape to the portion of the tent's ceiling and curtain top that delineates her area; works well.

Due to the many nice sized windows in the tent everyone has ample air and light in their area. The older version of the CC was made with a rather thin floor but this deficit seems to have been improved in the newer version. I still wish that the CCs sported YKK zippers since the seamstress in me knows the value but I'm undoubtedly dreaming of a different time, LOL. The zippers are not bad as modern zippers go and have 2 tracks to reverse.

If I was beginning camping again and needed all equipment I would undoubtedly take a long look at the newer line, the Jade Canyons. The built in lighting and stronger poles would work better in my storage space limited life ( I live in an apartment and have no garage or attic). Not sure that the removable, reflective fabric panels (Elluminate System) makes good sense but I haven't seen them in the field or examined them in a store.

Another not yet mentioned tent line to take a good look at is Paha Que. I'm in wuvvv with their screen tent line and have owned one for several years. I use it as a spare B/R for weekend (or longer) guests; an inclement weather L/R and kitchen. I could use it as a dining room by putting the campsite's picnic table up around it but some how consistently leave the table under a tree. Best screen mesh used on the market for my money it; even keeps gnats and no see ums out.
            Finally, for any cabin style tent look carefully for areas prone to water infiltration at the roof line. I've never had a problem with my CC or Paha Que based on the amount of poles used in the rain fly and how the windows/sides can close. I should also mention that we tend to camp on average at least 1.5 weeks and up to 3 weeks in one spot every summer followed by smaller trips of 5-7 days.

HTH and have fun out there!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I almost got the Copper Canyon a couple years ago and I am still not sure that I made the right choice.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X