Large Family Tent - Various Weather Conditions - Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Family Tent - Various Weather Conditions - Suggestions Please

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and I'm looking for some advise on acquiring a large and long-lasting family tent. I'm an experienced camper but am now married with two very young children of our own. I was originally thinking of acquiring a tent trailer, but the thought of tent camping is highly appealing and I'm impressed with the higher quality tents I have seen so far. I grew up camping in a tent trailer, so I'm relatively new to the tent scene, but we've camped in small dome tents before.

We're looking at annual summer road trip camping for 2-4 weeks across the eastern US coast in different locations with a variety of different climates (coastal locations like Assateague Island, Virginia Beach, the Outer Banks, as well as mountains like Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah, perhaps even more humid locations like South Carolina and Florida). I'd be willing to spend more (limit is probably $1,000 but we could consider going higher if needed) for the sake of longevity, quality, and comfort. The varying climates greatly impact our choice as we're looking for tents that can withstand heavy rain and wind, as well as heat, humidity, and cooler temperatures, etc.

We are looking for the following:

- One single large spacious three season tent with a divider for a separate room for children that can withstand various weather conditions.

Currently we are considering the following, but I'm wondering if there are other tents we can and should consider:
    1. Coleman Signature Prairie Breeze™ 9-Person Tent

http://www.coleman.com/prairie-breez...=Cabin&start=2
    2. Eureka! Copper Canyon 8 Person Tent

https://www.eurekacamping.com/tents/...-8-person-tent

Originally, I was leaning towards the Coleman, but was impressed with the reviews on the Eureka! tents. Are there are other tents I should be considering?

As a separate issue, we are also looking for a separate screened shelter (due to bears in some of the locations I have mentioned) that can serve for protection during the rain (and for bugs if they are ever a problem).

We are considering the following:

1. Eureka! Northern Breeze Screen House

https://www.eurekacamping.com/tents/...e-screen-house

We are very open to suggestions and appreciate your help. Thanks everyone!

Re: Large Family Tent - Various Weather Conditions - Suggestions Please

Bought a 10 x 15 Browning Big Horn Cabin tent on Amazon, paid 250.00, 100% manufacture warrantee, waterproof. Thought about the coleman but reading ratings on this tent sold me and my wife and girls love it.

Comment

The Eureka Copper Canyon has a really good reputation. Based on my experience with Coleman I would stay away from them. I wanted a Copper Canyon for the longest time, but I've scaled down considerably these days. A large tent is nice for a stay of a week or more, but now my camping style involves a lot of mobility, which makes a large tent more of a hindrance. Good for a family though.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Eureka over Coleman, for sure. Here's one more to consider:
        REI Kingdom 8 On sale for a few more days yet - a great buy on a highly rated tent @ $389.99

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Before getting a big tent...make sure the sites you are going to visit can handle the footprint of an 8p tent. Some campgrounds have tent pads that will fit a tent footprint no larger than 10x10 or you may not be able to properly pitch a large tent on certain campsites due to trees/roots/etc Something to be aware of and check/consider in your planning.

Check these out for alternatives for big tents: REI Kingdom 8, Marmot Limestone 8, Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8. These are all top notch in terms of construction and performance (fabrics/zippers, strong lightweight aluminum poles, waterproofing above 1200mm). Each provides a separate "room" for the kids. It really depends on what you value more in a tent (durability, ventilation, ease/time to pitch/strike, privacy, vestibules/awnings to keep muddy shoes out of your tent, etc. etc. etc.). Each of these tents are different in terms of their individual strengths and features and have tradeoffs in those categories, but any one of them will provide dry/comfortable shelter for your family no matter where you find yourself, no matter the weather, year after year (always fully stake down and guy out any large tent).

If it was me in your circumstances...I'd heavily check out the Kingdom 8p. Good all around family performer. Get the optional garage to provide a huge undercover space for chairs, shoes, bikes, etc. Prop the 2 garage doors open with adj poles and use as an awning for shade. You may not always have room on a site for the garage, but if you do, it's a nice functional space. And if something happens during the trip, REI will replace it quickly.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Coleman sometimes gets a bad wrap just for being a coleman
            coleman licenses the name so they do have various manufacturers making coleman tent s
            on my last group outing 15-20 tents pitched
            was impressed by many of the colemans including a few that had the instant tents
            they held up fine during 3 days of constant rain
            those that did get flooded i blame more on improper set up than tent quality
            i also had a 5-10 yr old coleman that held up fine although i did recently waterproof it

Comment

I have Coleman instant tents - 4, 6, and 8 person - and have had good results with them. Seam sealer is applied every spring, and that is all I have ever needed to do to them. I use the 4 person one the most and have had it for over five years. They have withstood wind and rain. Easy set up and easy take down.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                Before getting a big tent...make sure the sites you are going to visit can handle the footprint of an 8p tent. Some campgrounds have tent pads that will fit a tent footprint no larger than 10x10 or you may not be able to properly pitch a large tent on certain campsites due to trees/roots/etc Something to be aware of and check/consider in your planning.

This. I have a very large tent because it is what my wife likes when she goes camping with me. While I will admit that the room is nice to have it can be a challenge to find a spot to set it up. I don't use campgrounds, preferring dispersed camping so I don't know how much room there is at the campgrounds. I would suggest that you look into a couple smaller tents and decide if that will better suit your needs.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

mxa104 - You will be doing anywhere from 14 up to 30 nights camping during these annual trips and I am assuming it means lots of pitches and strikes as your family meanderings around the East Coast. Different campsites, different weather, different arrival times/maybe at night. That number of tent nights is more than most family folks put on a tent in a year...maybe 2 or more years. Throw kids (esp younger) into the mix and you are asking for quite a bit of durability and longevity from a tent.

My personal opinion is that neither of the tents you listed are going to be reliably up to the task you are asking of them to do over the long term 2/3+ yrs. Others thoughts may/will differ.

Also in my opinion...I would not purchase a tent knowing that you must seal seal it every season or spray can after can of waterproofing on the fabric to keep out the water. Unless you are buying a high end sil-nylon tent that comes unsealed purposely, seam sealer and sprays are repairs and require regular examination and periodic re-application. Which family trip will be remembered as "that time everything got soaked cause Dad didn't seal the tent right" lololol (I know cause I have lived it.) I haven't messed with seam sealer for over 6 years now or sprayed a tent with a can of waterproofer.

My recommendation....allowing to your own budget....is to find and purchase a tent that has reliable, thick mm, factory applied, waterproofing coating on the fly/floor and fully taped seams. Buy a quality tent from a quality maker and let good gear do what good gear does best...function effortlessly and reliably...allowing you to enjoy the time outdoors with the family. No worries. The further from home, the more important that becomes.
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    mxa104 -

Also in my opinion...I would not purchase a tent knowing that you must seal seal it every season or spray can after can of waterproofing on the fabric to keep out the water. Unless you are buying a high end sil-nylon tent that comes unsealed purposely, seam sealer and sprays are repairs and require regular examination and periodic re-application. Which family trip will be remembered as "that time everything got soaked cause Dad didn't seal the tent right" lololol (I know cause I have lived it.) I haven't messed with seam sealer for over 6 years now or sprayed a tent with a can of waterproofer.
                    i would disagree with this
                    Because of routine maintenance and sealing
                    i have gotten + 15 years out of even the cheapest of tents
                    i still use my $18 wenzel which is about 15 yrs old
                    last trip it was set up and left out without a fly during 3 days of constant rain leak was minimal inside
                    With routine maintenance can get great performance out even the cheapest of tents
                    i also have a $200 kelty as nice as the kelty is it doesnt diminish the performance of my cheaper tents

Comment

I have the Eureka Copper Canyon 4 for me alone -- referred to as "my portable cabin." I love it! It has so far sustained multiple storms and I've been dry. It has plenty of room for me, my cot, a chair, and gear. You can still get a Copper Canyon. However, Eureka now has the updated version of this tent called the Jade. If I was buying today, I'd opt for the latest and greatest technology as it is often worth it.

Since you have kids, think twice about this tent. The floor is very thin. I put a ground cloth under the tent. If I took kids with me I'd put one under AND over the floor to protect the bottom.

Others on this site have far more experience than I do. But after going camping with a group of experienced campers a few times, I have definitely learned that everyone has a way of doing things and you learn as you go about what suits you (me) specifically. I guess what I'm saying is just go out and have fun. Make sure at least for the first few times you camp that you are near a big outdoor/rv store or Walmart so no mistake can't be fixed or forgotten item purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                        i would disagree with this
                        Because of routine maintenance and sealing
                        i have gotten + 15 years out of even the cheapest of tents
                        i still use my $18 wenzel which is about 15 yrs old
                        last trip it was set up and left out without a fly during 3 days of constant rain leak was minimal inside
                        With routine maintenance can get great performance out even the cheapest of tents
                        i also have a $200 kelty as nice as the kelty is it doesnt diminish the performance of my cheaper tents
                        I have no doubt a cheaper tent can be regularly seam sealed and perform fairly well. As long as the fabric is solid, any pinhole can be plugged and seams sealed. I've done it myself in the past and had ok results, similarly as you....minimal leaking inside...depends on the tent/seams and your ability to completely clean off old sealer before applying a new bead. One can also cover a tent with a tarp. But I am going to stand by my original advice to the poster and recommend alternatives (and why) for the particular situation described. On a 30 day road trip, shelter is important. There is no going home like a weekend trip. Different circumstances/different camper...maybe a different recommendation.

Most every tent/fabric has "damage" when manufactured...the tiny pin holes made by the seam thread. This damage must be "repaired" and/or resolved or the tent is not waterproof out of the box. I prefer the manufacturer professionally do this process by taping those seams and applying a decent waterproofing to the fabric that does not need to be re-sealed periodically for a long time. I believe it produces better, more long term results. I take uber care of my gear....but seam sealing isn't one of my maintenance items anymore. If I did need to seal because of leaking, I would return the tent under warranty.

A properly sewn/sealed seam should not leak for a very long time and should not need seam sealer or any re-application unless the original tape has crumbled from age or the manufacture's style of sewing has failed (Coleman uses an inverted seam to help prevent water intrusion...but put enough tension on this seam and the pin holes will be exposed).

I don't believe it is fair/right for a manufacturer to advertise a tent as waterproof (some say resistent) when the user/owner has to eventually maintenance for weather-worthiness when other tents require no such maintenance (I'd say repair since the manufacturer's original product is failing/leaking without the user/owner's intervening to fix the issue). The real question is when do you have to intervene to waterproof and how does one discover the need to seal? Some campers do it right away with every new tent, some when they discover a leak, some not for a long time. Everyone camps different. No real right or wrong way.
                        Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-29-2017, 12:50 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not an expert on tents (haven't used one in years), but when I read the OP's planned usage "2-4 week trips annually" with multiple setup and take down during that time, I would go with a higher end tent as a65hoosier suggests.

I would also look for one that is as easy to put up and take down as possible. From reading other tent threads, I would also be very careful about the poles and connectors - with that much putting up and taking down during a single trip, you don't want parts that will break easily OR that cannot be repaired in the field.

As the kids are "very young", the single tent makes sense. However, I think you might find two tents more versatile. If you make the smallest tent big enough to just fit the 4 of you sleeping and 1 overnight bag each and the bigger tent the maximum "standard" size that folks find doable in most every campground, then you have versatility that you won't have with one extra large tent.

For example, you can set up both tents and have one sleeping tent and one dressing area/storage area tent. That means while one kid is napping the other can go into the storage tent to get toys, change of clothes, etc., without waking up the first. At night, use the storage tent to change into PJs and then go into the sleeping tent - this will reduce the "mess" that clutters up the sleeping area and makes it annoying. In the morning, use the storage tent to get dressed. It also gives you a place to sleep when you get kicked out to the dog house...

If you can only set up one tent, then you have two sizes to choose from. Even if you only have the smaller tent, you know you can fit all of you sleeping plus minimal gear. The rest of the gear can be set up under a tarp or two.

The two tents could be arranged to fit the campsite - rather than having a single tent that either fits or doesn't.
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            As the kids are "very young", the single tent makes sense. However, I think you might find two tents more versatile. If you make the smallest tent big enough to just fit the 4 of you sleeping and 1 overnight bag each and the bigger tent the maximum "standard" size that folks find doable in most every campground, then you have versatility that you won't have with one extra large tent.

For example, you can set up both tents and have one sleeping tent and one dressing area/storage area tent. That means while one kid is napping the other can go into the storage tent to get toys, change of clothes, etc., without waking up the first. At night, use the storage tent to change into PJs and then go into the sleeping tent - this will reduce the "mess" that clutters up the sleeping area and makes it annoying. In the morning, use the storage tent to get dressed. It also gives you a place to sleep when you get kicked out to the dog house...

If you can only set up one tent, then you have two sizes to choose from. Even if you only have the smaller tent, you know you can fit all of you sleeping plus minimal gear. The rest of the gear can be set up under a tarp or two.

The two tents could be arranged to fit the campsite - rather than having a single tent that either fits or doesn't.
                            toedtoes - I like your take on the 2 tent solution above that is discussed on this forum regularly. Generally, it's kids in one, adults in the other....privacy, along with the benefits of smaller footprint tents for easy site placement, etc. But the two tent solution that is discussed involves kids that are on the cusp of being able to have their own tent. What you describe above is a nice take on the 2 tent solution for adults with kids who are too young to actually sleep overnight in their own tent.

Having each tent sized fit at least 2 adults/2 kids definitely improves the functionality in the campsite as you described. It also provides some room and options as the kids grow older.

The only con is having to set up 2 tents. However, depending on the tent style..the set up of 2 tents can be just about as quick/easy as setting up a big tent.

In the OP's situation, 2 tents would also allow a backup shelter solution should one of the tents suffer a calamity at the worst time...or depending on the time and the weather when you roll into camp or if you're only staying one night...you have the option to go "quick camp" and only set up one tent.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with your additional suggestions (setting up just one tent for a quick overnight stop, having a backup if something happens to the first).

I admit that when I read posts about putting kids in one tent and adults in the other, my mind goes straight to that criminal minds episode where the little girl had to pee in the middle of the night and when older brother took her out, they were kidnapped. While the odds don't make that a high risk, I just couldn't imagine putting the older kid in a place of perceived responsibility to that extent. So, I always look for ways to make things work without relying on one child to be responsible for the other.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X