Site not secure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site not secure?

I went to login to the site from work and noticed it said unsecured, that information could be compromised. Anyone else seen this? Or do we just have a problem with the work computers?

Re: Site not secure?

Not just from your work computer. I see it in the URL line from my home laptop...along with the info circlebox " i " to the left of the address that explains what it means.
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-31-2017, 01:00 PM.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      I went to login to the site from work and noticed it said unsecured, that information could be compromised. Anyone else seen this? Or do we just have a problem with the work computers?
      Going over to mozilla to get more info. It's not getting flagged by any of my security software but i do see the unsecured notice in the address box.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Otayyyyyyyy.....something weird is going on. In addition to this site, the following sites that I frequent come up w/ the same un-secure message: cnn; wall street journal, fox news and bbc.com. As you can see I try to look at life's stuff from alllllll sides of the coin before making up my own mind. Still, the NYTimes website, is listed as secure soooo it's obviously a fake news libtard conspiracy that THEY promulgated.

Made some slightly inconvenient for me changes to the protocols for each effected site and can only hope for the best until mozilla answers me back:go:.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In the latest Firefox browser, they've updated their secure site notifications. If the web address has an https: in front of it, it is secure - and there will be a green padlock to the left of the web address field. If the web address is not secure, the padlock will not be there. There is also a third secure notification and that is if the site has an insecure password. In that case, the padlock will show, but there will be a red diagonal line through it. This means that if you enter your password it could be stolen.

Here is the official Mozilla info on it: http://https://support.mozilla.org/t...fox/ta-p/27861

(Notice that the Mozilla page has the green padlock, while this forum does not.)
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

That link needs a little tweak
            https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

I know how to identify secure vs unsecured sites. My concern is why some sites are suddenly showing up as unsecured. Or is it that I just hadn't noticed before?

Comment

It's because they're now indicating ALL websites - not just the secure ones. They're making the insecure sites easier to identify so folks will pay attention.

P.S. Thanks for fixing the link, I thought I grabbed it right but didn't check it after I posted.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

That link needs a little tweak
                https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

I know how to identify secure vs unsecured sites. My concern is why some sites are suddenly showing up as unsecured. Or is it that I just hadn't noticed before?
                That's what I'm wondering as well and no, still haven't received an answer from Mozilla.

Perhaps it's much ado about nothing when reading this excerpt from Mozilla (the page listed in this thread)

About insecure pages

Pages that need to transmit private information, such as credit cards, personal information and passwords, need to have a secure connection to help prevent attackers from stealing your information. (Tip: A secure connection will have "HTTPS" in the address bar, along with a green lock icon.)
                Pages that don’t transmit any private information can have an unencrypted connection (HTTP). It is not advised to enter private information, such as passwords, on a web page that shows HTTP in the address bar. The information you enter can be stolen over this insecure connection.
                The password I use here is unique and this site has nothing to do with c/cs.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-01-2017, 01:13 AM.
                2017:

Comment

Websites are now showing "not secure" because they require a login password but don't normally have encryption, etc., because personal information isn't used. So any site that you normally login to in order to participate is being identified as not secure - they recommend you never use a password on a not secure site for a secure site - because it can be easily stolen from a not secure site.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    ...they recommend you never use a password on a not secure site for a secure site - because it can be easily stolen from a not secure site.
                    Uhhh... Not quite sure I get what that means.

Comment

Don't use the same password here that you would for your bank's website or Amazon, etc. Or a similar password (such as Tutu here and Tutu1 for Amazon). They can easily hack into this website and obtain your user name and password. Then they just try to use that combination to login to other secure websites (banks, Amazon, ebay, etc.) and see if they can gain access through the front end of the website (the user login).

So, if you use Tutu as your password here and at your bank, and the hackers obtain it here, they will start entering MacGyver and Tutu (Tutu1, Tutu123, Tutu007, etc.) at different bank websites to see if they can access your account. If you use the same password, then it's just a matter of time before they find the right bank and get access to your bank accounts. Or access your Amazon account and your stored credit cards (then they go to fake storefront websites that launder money to max out your credit cards).

Comment

Uhhh... Not quite sure I get what that means.
                        It means never use the same password over and over again....not that any of us ever have.
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-02-2017, 12:05 PM.
                        2017:

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Think I had an early senior moment there. Guess I'll have to stop using the letter A for all my passwords, huh?

Comment

At least you used an upper-cased A. My boss uses a lower-cased a. Seriously. No joke. That is his password at work for anything that doesn't require X number of characters. He's too lazy to type in anything more.

P.S. NYCgrrl explained it much more effectively than I did. Got lost in a deep moment there with my explanations. I blame it on lack of sleep - turns my brain to mush and it takes a lot more to get a coherent thought out of my head...
                            Last edited by toedtoes; 04-02-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

......I know someone who uses "abc123do" as a password for alllll sites that require an 8 character minimum......

The fact that she uses Michel Jackson as an avatar makes it that much easier to figure out:tussor:
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X