New build, a standrop....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build, a standrop....

Started another trailer, this is my 4th. The teardrop is great, but I want a little more space and the ability to stand up and pull on my pants. So this build will be 5ft X10.5 ft long. The bed will go crosswise giving me the ability to step into a foot well and stand up. I will build a bump out for my feet to stick into, giving me a full size bed. I'll have a AC unit and small sink, a toaster oven and an induction hot plate inside. Small table and a porta potti. The rear will have a galley like a normal teardrop, hence a standrop distinction.

Waiting for the new axle. The trailer will be covered with painted aluminum.

Re: New build, a standrop....

That's awesome! And I'm jealous - I wish I had the room (and the time) to build one myself.

Comment

Yeah, me too. That is really cool.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

:great:

Sounds like for each build you learn better what you want!

Loving the kitchen setup. Seems to have more than adequate counter and storage space and truth be known you can nevah have enough counters. Is that a metal or plastic sink and will it drain?
        Where will you place the table- next to the bed and have you considered a fold down table so you can access the space underneath for additional storage?
        Will you place a vent fan over the WC/kit area and will you use a cassette/ mulching( prolly the wrong word) or other type of portable toilet?

Yeah enquiring (read nosy) minds want to know :D.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          :great:

Sounds like for each build you learn better what you want!

Loving the kitchen setup. Seems to have more than adequate counter and storage space and truth be known you can nevah have enough counters. Is that a metal or plastic sink and will it drain?
          Where will you place the table- next to the bed and have you considered a fold down table so you can access the space underneath for additional storage?
          Will you place a vent fan over the WC/kit area and will you use a cassette/ mulching( prolly the wrong word) or other type of portable toilet?

Yeah enquiring (read nosy) minds want to know :D.
          Thanks for the kind words. The sink is a plastic mixing bowl from Bed Bath and Beyond. I drilled a drain hole in it and it will drain into one of those 5 gallon blue jugs. An RV pump will draw water from the other jug. The table is just the extension of the counter top. I will build a bench that opens with a porta potti in it that will be the seat for the table. The seat will be where the cooler is sitting in the picture.

Here is the drain hole in the sink/bowl.

Comment

Looks like a great project.
            ...Although its a bit larger than I want to start...

Any ideas yet as far as a stove/cook top? (I find myself increasingly tempted to inset some inductive burners/hobs into the kitchen countertop, at home. Thought about bringing one camping but it would need a genny for power).

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Cool project. I like these build threads and find them interesting. Especially since I have neither the tools, skills, or space to build something like this. Please keep us posted as you progress.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-31-2017, 01:01 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                Looks like a great project.
                ...Although its a bit larger than I want to start...

Any ideas yet as far as a stove/cook top? (I find myself increasingly tempted to inset some inductive burners/hobs into the kitchen countertop, at home. Thought about bringing one camping but it would need a genny for power).

Enjoy!
                I have an induction, hot plan thing that I can use inside. The rear of the trailer will have a full galley kitchen. I live outside and do my cooking out there, But when bad weather comes, i can move inside in a pinch. That is why there is no drop in stove. I may have a pull out Coleman gas stove in the rear galley. I'll keep posting as I make progress.

Comment

Subscribed. Great thread.

Id love to build one also. Have to get the body functional again first, but have been getting ideas. I like your cabinet work. I also would like one that I could stand up in, not sure how much difference it would make on fuel mileage compared to a teardrop.

Comment

I'm sure the fuel mileage will suffer little. Mostly because of the extra height. Weight will be about 300 Lbs more then the teardrop. But I will be more comfortable so it's worth the loss of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                      I have an induction, hot plan thing that I can use inside. The rear of the trailer will have a full galley kitchen. I live outside and do my cooking out there, But when bad weather comes, i can move inside in a pinch. That is why there is no drop in stove. I may have a pull out Coleman gas stove in the rear galley. I'll keep posting as I make progress.
                      I had the manufacturer of my on order TT remove the propane cooking appliance and replace w/ an induction burner. Like you, I see the use.
                      Useful attributes for this type of appliance: an automatic shut off feature and a diameter big enough for the largest pot you'll normally use. I went w/ a 12" CI skillet as my biggest pot since I rarely use anything bigger.

HJ, I tested my induction burner at home before making a decision for the TT. Did a fine job of making candy which is fussy about sustained heat.As well the readout was easy to read whether a pot was atop or not.
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I just look at the induction as a convenience if the weather does not allow me to cook outside. But the one I have, can be taken out and used as a secondary cooking surface if I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                          I just look at the induction as a convenience if the weather does not allow me to cook outside. But the one I have, can be taken out and used as a secondary cooking surface if I need it.
                          Dual usage is smart from a cost and weight point of view.
                          2017:

Comment

Got a little further. Paying work keeps getting in the way.

Got the floor attached to the frame. Put up the side walls with the interior skins on already. Then the back wall next to the bed.

Got the ceiling in a framed out the nose.

In the morning I will install the last piece of the inside skin. Then on to the outside Galley. Right now it is a blank canvas. There will be a cooler on a roll out a Coleman Gas stove and some storage for cast iron and food ETC. Most of my cooking will be outside.

Comment

I can only post 4 pictures in a thread soooo. Here is where I am now. Those little plywood discs allow me a 1 inch gap to get the trailer out of my shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X