Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent camping near Salem Oregon (August eclipse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping near Salem Oregon (August eclipse)

I've just become aware of the full solar eclipse happening in August and will be viewed full in Salem Oregon. Barring the un-foreseen I'll do that trip.

I've started well enough in advance if anybody has the "hot ticket" on where to camp I'd love to have your input.

I've never camped in tight quarters (like in a park) before and the few times I have (around many) it's always been around a group of friends. So the more remote (less amenities) the better....I don't even know if I have it in me to listen to RV generators and still feel relaxed. But then it's a new adventure and it is whatever it is. (Who knows....maybe it's a part of my one day becoming socialized).

If you're familiar with the area I'd appreciate whatever you know...and I do have the senior pass to national parks if that helps at all.

Grateful as always.....On TheHill

Re: Tent camping near Salem Oregon (August eclipse)

On an RV forum I frequent they make it sound as if all sites have been booked up for several months nationwide for this event.
    Now of course this might just be about the space requirements needed for an RV but were I you I'd pull up a OR map of boondocking and primitive campsites near where you want to be and check individually where reservations need to be made and not.

HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yeah it's crazy to think that I'm planning for August and already late to the party. Thanks NYC and while I'm thinking...there is a Forest Service office less than a mile from home....maybe somebody there knows something.

OnTheHill

Comment

Check www.recreation.gov - search on Salem, OR and then click on Camping. It looks like there are a couple campgrounds (national forest and BLM) with availability for the night of the 21st (I just did a check for that night). As the eclipse falls on a Monday night, you might have to play with the dates a bit over the weekend.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
          Yeah it's crazy to think that I'm planning for August and already late to the party. Thanks NYC and while I'm thinking...there is a Forest Service office less than a mile from home....maybe somebody there knows something.

OnTheHill
          Welcome to a bit of my world.E
          East coast is alllll about making reservations months, even up to a year, in advance. I'm kinda thankful that this year's kiddo trip wasn't made until the late winter because I might have been tempted to book at a more popular (read crowded) locale. Looking forward to spending most of this trip in a different environment on several levels.

I'm a little sad that we won't be able to camp anywhere in the USA to see the sky event but hey that's the breaks sometimes. Find your spot and have fun out there!
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I've been so sheltered....when the timing is right: I load up and go!

The mentality of planning a year in advance is astoundingly foreign....I have been holed up in a small little mountain community for the past 45 years.....yeah, I already knew that it showed, but it continues to amaze me on a fairly regular basis.

Off to follow up leads....Thanks all,
            OnTheHill

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
              I've been so sheltered....when the timing is right: I load up and go!

The mentality of planning a year in advance is astoundingly foreign....I have been holed up in a small little mountain community for the past 45 years.....yeah, I already knew that it showed, but it continues to amaze me on a fairly regular basis.

Off to follow up leads....Thanks all,
              OnTheHill
              Nothing wrong with your locale I'm sure..we adjust to our surroundings.
              I was born and raised in NYC but got lost in Manhattan the first time I went there on a job interview.

There are still places in the Northeast where you can camp making a snap decision but they are mostly much further away from urban areas and thus choices have to be made: give up a good part of your weekend traveling or deal with a more crowded locale that's easier to get to?

Enjoy the search:glasses:
              2017:

Comment

Looking at freecampsites.net...I see a bunch of sites near Salem.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

https://freecampsites.net/#!65333&query=sitedetails
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks Mormon....good link.....free is hard to ignore.

OnTheHill.

Comment

Don't know how close you want to be in Salem, but these area is incredibly beautiful.

https://freecampsites.net/#!65132&query=sitedetails
                      "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

I'm actually embarrassed.....I got a lot of good help from everyone....I'm learning about myself though if that's any consolation.

After so many hours of research I can't seem to reconcile the chance of ending up selecting a spot and finding that the people next to me turn out to be all night partiers or even worse....maybe remote camping or camping around selected people is going to be the only form that I'm willing to accept...looks like I've got some work to do.

I do have family in Oregon that I figured to visit on this trip....a little farther from Salem but then the variables are known. So I'll stay w/ family and commute to Salem to hang with friends gathering there.

I learned a lot about myself, so I don't consider it a wasted exercise.....Thanks to all that tried to help me along the way. I will scope out a few sites that looked promising while I'm there.

Question though: If any of you have paid subscriptions to Google earth....does the resolution on remote sites improve enough to make it worthwhile?

Thanks all for the knowledge and support, it does not go unappreciated.

OnTheHill.

Comment

Paid subscription to Google Earth? - ohhhhhh the horrors!
                          U can take that to mean no :he:.

Listen, life is a learning game. As long as there is some new way for us to assess past behavior it's allll good:glasses:
                          2017:

Comment

Thanks NYCgrrl......I'm in full agreement, it's all about growth.

I try to live up to "Kaizen" making everything in my experience a little bit better everyday.....some days I'm even successful!:yipi:

OnTheHill.

Comment

I try new places when there isn't anything at stake. That way, if the camping neighbors are lousy, I don't ruin a special moment. With that, I have found a nice collection of campgrounds where I can pretty much guarantee good neighbors. Those are my go to campgrounds and I keep them close to my chest.

As for google earth, I don't use it. I use flashearth.com and find I can see just what I need with that. No cost, no google, happy camper.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X