Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy-peasy meals for a large group... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easy-peasy meals for a large group... Suggestions?

I made a dish tonight on the spur because the man felt I put too much ketchup (yes, ketchup) in an oxtail stew I made and dinna like it. Oh welllll...maybe he's been emboldened by the Princess. Don't worry he'll still get to eat it again after I add more sauteed onions and I d/k what but so it goes.

Interim, was faced with a man who worked from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM and wanted chicken instead.
    Sooo I pulled some skinless, boneless chicky breast cutlets out of the fridge and made this instead:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...iccata-recipe2

Yeah of course I played with it cause it's who I am. Added frozen peas at the end; the zest from 1/4 a lemon as well as the juice of the whole fruit. Used only one supermarket cut cutlet since it was a serving one person. Evened out the cutlet by butterflying it and then cutting the meat into mouth sized triangular pieces. Also made for faster cooking (about 3 minutes total instead of 6) and less surface "puckering". Combined the flour ( I used instant flour-Wondra instead of all purpose), salt and pepper in a plastic bag to coat the meat. Added sauteed minced red peppers, garlic and onion slivers to the sauce because we like colour.

Normally I do this type of sauce with veal but it works nicely with all sorts of white poultry too. Rough cut the parsley since I was feeling particularly lazy and definitely used (about a handful) more than the recipe called for. Not a prob for us since I learned a while back that this is an herb packed with vitamins and other cultures use it as a veggie as well as seasoning/garnish. Served it with cooked linguine mixed into the sauce for a complete "Don't make me dirty another thing" dish.

The man pronounced it "tasty" (his highest praise for food) and suggested we add it to the kiddos' camping menu. Probably not going to happen since we've enough poultry entrees but it's a dish that I felt might fit in this category.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-30-2017, 11:28 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Campfire Mac & Cheese - a MUST for your next camping adventure!

I just made this awesome campfire mac & cheese recipe that you can prep in mini personalized tin pans and cook over the fire! It was really easy to make and tasted delicious by the fire. Here's the link to the complete step by step recipe with pictures Would be really easy to adjust recipe for a larger group (just need to buy more mini pans!)

https://www.basicallycooking.com/sin...t-camping-trip

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0978 v1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	70805

Comment

A few years ago, I finally found someone that I can camp with. I'm a bit of a foodie, but she's not. I do the food planning, but she's not into all the prep, and really doesn't love trying different things the way I do. We have a trip planned for June, and grateful to have a camping partner, I don't want to get too hung up over food. I'll bring some frozen home made sauce and pasta, some foil packet meat (marinated lamb) and vegetables to include, and maybe some marinated chicken for grilling. She's not a big breakfast person, but I'll bring eggs and sausage anyway. I guess I'm just whining and looking for sympathy because my camping companion isn't interested enough in the food to get involved or excited about it. We'll camp. We'll hike. But we'll also eat, regardless!

Comment

When I have friends join me camping, I just plan my own meals as usual, but give them a heads up for my chosen dinners. Since I'm a vegetarian, I like to give them the option of bring some real meat to add.

So, for my next trip, I'm gonna do kebobs. I'll let my friend know and tell her I'll have mushrooms, peppers, zuchini, onions, and tomatoes as well as my fake meat strips. That way she can add anything she wants that I'm not bringing. Usually, she's pretty easy going and just eats what I make.

For breakfast and lunch, we do our own thing as we get up at different times. If she is up when I'm fixing breakfast, I will "feed her" too. But we don't worry about it. Lunch is usually when we find ourselves hanging in camp during the day and doesn't get major planning.

I've been planning a trip to Death Valley for this coming December and find that I will not be cooking as much as usual. The trip is going to be a lot of photography at sunrise and sunset and a lot of driving inbetween. So I suspect I am going to be carrying peanut butter and jelly in the suv and making sandwiches for most meals. I've got days that I will be away from camp for 14 or so hours. And one night, I'll be sleeping in the suv so I won't have to drive a really rough road in the dark.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
          X