Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy-peasy meals for a large group... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easy-peasy meals for a large group... Suggestions?

Yes to ChadVK's post on organisation and delegation!
    Once decisions are made on the actual menu (edited using whatever filters and parameters are needed: campfire; DO; Coleman stove, food allergies, etc) within the actual group, it's time to pass out jobs to campers whether the work is being done off camp site or on. This is the same way restaurant kitchens work so there is no need to re-invent the wheel. I find large colored binder clips useful for clamping same meal items together and you can get them at any stationary department or store. if you have say chopped onions in a bag that'll be used from one day to the next just clip them to the next day's food bundle and you are good to go.

I suspect you know this already, Shortypants, yet am writing it out for a someone who will ask this question again.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Doing a bit of menu re-tuning for self and found this link which might be of use to you as well:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/qui...cipes/view-all

I love a recipe (or 3) that allows me to not turn on the heat, especially for afternoon meals and dinners when we've been busy all day. Have found various types of jarred and canned fish/seafood useful in that manner. I've no use for canned chicken but prolly that's just me. I tend to sub roasted chicken for canned chicken.
      Excellent! Thank you for the link, I am trying to come up with a few no-cook meals since some of our group are fine with snacky stuff for a mid-day meal, but others seem to want something a bit more substantial and meal-like.
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Is this a situation where one person will be cooking for the group or is it being broken up into smaller groups with everyone taking care of themselves. I would think that just about anyone can cook certain things over a fire or on a camp stove (which is basically a gas grill). Hamburgers and hotdogs/brats come immediately to mind. Heck, hotdogs don't even need to be cooked. Tin foil meals are easy and can be fun. Plus everyone makes their own so it isn't lumped on one person to do all the prep.

It would also be cool to break it down into groups. That way people can swap and share which will give a bigger variety...but you will probably have to bring more supplies to make it work.

For my money Johnsonville Chedder Brats are always the way to go.
        At our usual gatherings (at someone's house, thus ovens/rangetop/electricity is available) we assign meals to each couple, and that has worked for that setting. IE: Bob and Suzy do Sat breakfast/brunch, Fred and Alice do Sat dinner, yadda yadda. Each couple is responsible for supplying all the necessary ingredients, doing the prep and cooking, then (in most cases) we all chip in for the clean up. When we do have a gathering where we have access to a campfire, one meal is hotdogs/sausages over the fire, so that will probably be on the menu for this trip, probably on arrival/setup night since it is quick and easy. They are also handy to just have around if someone does want to have some with breakfast and/or lunch.

Cheddar Brats are awesome! We bring those on most trips too!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          This is my favorite DO recipe site. The lady that did it was trying to make a cookbook. Her goal was to make something in her dutch oven everyday for a year and then publish a cookbook. I've made many of her recipes and have found them great. http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

You can also just do a big cobbler in the DO as a group desert.
          I have to admit I have been reading this site all morning (in between getting DD ready for school and off on the bus) and have been salivating over the recipes. Thank you so much for the link, it helps a lot!

I was seriously considering doing a DO cobbler as a desert option. I will admit that while I love camping, I really don't care for the `ol camping standby, s'mores. Bleh. I'd much rather have something like baked apples or a cobbler for desert.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
            I've been part of a lot of crews that cooked for large groups (mother's day brunches for 100-150, weekend camping trips for 80-100, and a few others), I can say it's absolutely important to have one person who's "in charge", but there need to be others to whom the "crew chief" can delegate either parts of meals or entire meals. With my son's Cub Scout pack, we'd create a duty roster with two crews for each meal (prep/cook and serve/clean-up). With 15 people, you probably don't need to be that regimented and one crew per meal would be plenty.

It's also important to have things organized. If the dinner crew has to spend a half an hour digging around to find all their ingredients or find the recipe, they're going to get frustrated.

The bottom line is that on a trip like this, there are lots of jobs to be done - both in the kitchen and out - and everyone can contribute in some way. Sometimes it just takes a little digging to find out what skills and talents each person brings to the party.
            Yup, I am a very rigid planner, almost too rigid sometimes, I will admit. LOL! Unfortunately, a majority of our group are not. In the ten years we have been having these 4 times a year gatherings, I have definitely identified the folks that pitch in and help when needed, and also the ones that hang back, try to blend in to the woodwork and won't do anything unless they are specifically asked. Sometimes not even then. *sigh*

I've already run into one instance where I was trying to get a bit of a plan for keeping stuff organized in coolers so we can make the most of ice lifespan for the five days we are there, and one of the group said, "Meh, there are stores within 15-20 min, we can just go grab what food we need when we need it. Don't have to worry about bringing everything on day one." And while I do agree that stuff can be picked up over the duration of the trip, I don't really want to be wasting 2-3 hours of every day of our vacation driving to the store, shopping for meals that people are waiting to eat back at the site, potentially forgetting ingredients/supplies needed.... You know the drill. This could all be avoided with good pre-planning, cooler layout and organization, and everyone being on board with maximizing vacation time and not racing off to the store multiple times a day.

I'm thinking while it *shouldn't* have to be too regimented for a smaller group, it might have to be for this crew. Otherwise we will end up not eating until 10 o'clock at night or not having firewood. LOL!

Comment

I understand and sympathize completely. After dealing with these types of issues in the past, I have made following personal policies:

1. if everyone says "sounds good" to my meal plan, then I don't worry about it. If they didn't bother to actually read/hear what I emailed/told them, then they can go hungry.

2. if someone forgot something or wants to eat something different than planned, that's fine. But I won't be the one taking them to the store, storing their "something different", or doing without (see below).

I'm a natural planner and I don't mind doing it. But I take issue with folks who leave all the planning to me and then fail to do the one thing asked of them. And for that reason, I always bring the food items that I want in my meal. For example, if we're having tacos, I will bring the shells, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, tomato/salsa, and fake meat. They can bring the lettuce, onion, real meat, hot sauce, etc., because it won't bother me not to have those in my tacos. I don't think any of them have ever caught on to that trick - they just think I'm being generous (I have the RV, I make more money, I enjoy it, etc.) by buying the bulk of the ingredients. But, by my way of thinking, I'd be buying the same stuff if I camped alone and this way I ensure that I don't go hungry over someone else's laziness.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

With a group of multiple families, it's much harder to deal with. First, you have family food dynamics (I remember the argument at the grocery store because one family always drank a 1/2 powdered milk/1/2 lowfat milk mixture, another drank skim, and the third drank whole milk; it took forever to get them to agree to go with my compromise of straight lowfat milk - and I was a kid at the time). Then you have the individual kid food issues ("I want REAL tacos like at Taco Bell"). Then you have all the other stuff like laziness, "whatever", selfishness, control issues, etc.

Sometimes I think I'd love to do a large group outing. Then I think about it and decide "I think not". I now prefer to plan my own camping trip and if folks want to meet up that's great, "here's what I'm eating, if you want to share, I'm good with that just bring any meat you may want, etc. If not, no problem."
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  With a group of multiple families, it's much harder to deal with. First, you have family food dynamics (I remember the argument at the grocery store because one family always drank a 1/2 powdered milk/1/2 lowfat milk mixture, another drank skim, and the third drank whole milk; it took forever to get them to agree to go with my compromise of straight lowfat milk - and I was a kid at the time). Then you have the individual kid food issues ("I want REAL tacos like at Taco Bell"). Then you have all the other stuff like laziness, "whatever", selfishness, control issues, etc.

Sometimes I think I'd love to do a large group outing. Then I think about it and decide "I think not". I now prefer to plan my own camping trip and if folks want to meet up that's great, "here's what I'm eating, if you want to share, I'm good with that just bring any meat you may want, etc. If not, no problem."
                  Hull-lololo!
                  I remember not so fondly a time when a camp meeting was set up for a group of a different forum's posters. I slaughtered and froze the meat from at least 8 lobsters in butter using gallon ziploc bags. Mannnnnnnnn was I over the top peeved when the family contingent dropped out leaving us with 3 attendees instead of 10.
                  Ever try to defrost a gallon''s worth of lobster meat for a small amt of people w/o massive amts of waste?
                  Took me almost a year to be able to communicate with that poster again w/o smoke blowing outta my ears:D.
                  On the bright side learned that qt. ziploc bags are my better friend even if they do take up a bit more space.
                  2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Back in my meat eating days, I would have made sure your lobster and hard work did not go to waste - even if I had to eat 5 gallons on my own...

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                      I have to admit I have been reading this site all morning (in between getting DD ready for school and off on the bus) and have been salivating over the recipes. Thank you so much for the link, it helps a lot!

I was seriously considering doing a DO cobbler as a desert option. I will admit that while I love camping, I really don't care for the `ol camping standby, s'mores. Bleh. I'd much rather have something like baked apples or a cobbler for desert.
                      Well, if you decide to go with a cobbler, most people will love it. I do not know your level of DO cooking, but I find the easiest method is the Din witty (SP) method. Just one ring of coals around the outside rim of the top and on the bottom, a ring just under the bottom edge. Rotate the oven 25 percent one way and the lid 25 percent the other every 10-15 minutes. Once you start smelling the cobbler start watching it. If it is not brown enough in the middle add 2-3 coals on top the last 15 minutes. Enjoy. I love that site, just wished she could have pulled off the cookbook.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        Back in my meat eating days, I would have made sure your lobster and hard work did not go to waste - even if I had to eat 5 gallons on my own...
                        You would have enjoyed eating with the Empress AKA my mother back in the day.

Took her out on Mother's Day to a seafood restaurant and when she asked for lobster the waiter sadly stated they only had a 5 lber left and surely that would be too much for such a daintly lil creature such as she.
                        She batted them hazel eyes and said "Go ahead. What I can't finish I'll bring home."

There were no leftovers:surprised::mdr:.
                        2017:

Comment

This is my favorite DO recipe site. The lady that did it was trying to make a cookbook. Her goal was to make something in her dutch oven everyday for a year and then publish a cookbook. I've made many of her recipes and have found them great. http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

You can also just do a big cobbler in the DO as a group desert.
                          Lov

Wuvv that website too! the Breton Apple cake is calling my name -could make a specially nice breakfast cake:glasses:.

Do you think it could be made in a CI chicken fryer? I just got a DO (absconding with my mother's) but am trying to keep weight down for my next long camping trip.
                          2017:

Comment

quote:
                            originally posted by kimmi
                            thanks, lurah. Our camping season is just about to begin up here in cold northern michigan, so i've been looking for new recipes to try out. I'll be sure to check it out.

Nyc, would you mind sharing the link to the camping forum you're on?

Linnie, are you coming north to build your cabin?
                            mostly rv type recipes but many are adaptable for tenting (but i think yer an rver anyway)

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...m/12355902.cfm

camp cooking blogs:

http://www.campingforfoodies.com/lat...-camp-recipes/

http://www.dirtygourmet.com/

mostly i enjoying reading this one for inspiration:

http://localmilkblog.com/2013/09/a-k...nashville.html

good general thunk with recipes:

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaini...ps-for-camping

http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitc...ooking-recipes

and my hands down favorite at least in the ability to not think just follow:

http://www.cookinglight.com/entertai...oking/view-all

and here is the article that originally was seen w/ the menu/recipes:

http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.co...end-vacations/

more general thunk as well as how to meals:

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/road-trip-food

hth!
                            w
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              Lov

Wuvv that website too! the Breton Apple cake is calling my name -could make a specially nice breakfast cake:glasses:.

Do you think it could be made in a CI chicken fryer? I just got a DO (absconding with my mother's) but am trying to keep weight down for my next long camping trip.
                              If you have a lid for the Chicken fryer, some people get a length of chain and form a circle just a bit smaller then the diameter of the lid. This gives you a way to keep the coals on the lid. You can find 3 stones for legs on the bottom. You might have to adjust how many coals you use as your food will be closer to the heat being a shorter pan. Or you could just bring a DO and leave the CF er at home. Anything you cook in a CF on the stove should be able to be done in a DO. I cook on a Coleman fuel stove. Or buy an aluminum camp oven.

Comment

If you have a lid for the Chicken fryer, some people get a length of chain and form a circle just a bit smaller then the diameter of the lid. This gives you a way to keep the coals on the lid. You can find 3 stones for legs on the bottom. You might have to adjust how many coals you use as your food will be closer to the heat being a shorter pan. Or you could just bring a DO and leave the CF er at home. Anything you cook in a CF on the stove should be able to be done in a DO. I cook on a Coleman fuel stove. Or buy an aluminum camp oven.
                                Good to hear that any lidded CI will work.
                                You've given me more ways to gerry-rig the feet of a DO and add charcoal to the top of my slightly domed skillet lid.
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X