Is it wise to tempt fate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wise to tempt fate?

So, my almost-10-year-old son just moved up to Boy Scouts from Cub Scouts. He's in Troop 81, I was in Troop 82, and being at the meetings with him brings back a lot of memories for me of my time in Scouts. Then we start hearing about the next camping trip. They're going to Gettysburg PA and doing a bicycle tour. Sounds great, right? Camping at a scout reservation nearby at the end of April, should be great weather. Then I remember the weekend that was to be my last Boy Scout camping trip.

It was early April 1980-something and I was really excited to go camping after a long winter. We were going to Gettysburg, too, and I was very into history at the time. As the time got closer, the weather folks were calling for cloudy skies, but nothing to worry about, right?

The day arrived and we all met at the school and divvied up among the 4 leader's vehicles with all our gear in the back of a couple Suburbans. Merging onto the PA turnpike, it started drizzling. By the time we hit Harrisburg, it was a steady downpour. We got a little lost finding the camp, so it was near midnight by the time we got there. Setting up old-style scout tents (the standard triangular, a-frame type with one pole at each end and not enough tie-down points to keep the roof taut) in a driving rain is no fun. Learning hours later that your entire site is in a floodplain is less fun. We all got up after a few hours of barely sleeping to a soggy breakfast and a drive to the battlefield where we all changed into dry clothes in the men's room. We boarded a bus tour, but due to the unstopping rain, we were pretty much stuck on the bus the whole time. When we got back to our campsite, the water over most of the site was ankle-deep, and the tents were stuck in the muck. We unanimously decided to cut our losses and pack up. All the tents, sleeping bags, etc. were packed up into the backs of those Suburbans, but because it was all saturated, the bumpers were nearly dragging on the ground. We got back to the school around 10:00 Saturday night and spent the next two hours wringing out tents and sleeping bags, then laying them out on the gym floor to dry.

So, my dilemma is this: do I send my son on this trip - his first trip as a Boy Scout - on his own to ensure that my own bad luck and track record doesn't ruin the weekend for everyone? Or do I just go and hope that that time back in the 80s was an anomaly. I mean, it didn't rain on EVERY scout trip I went on...and since he's been in Cub Scouts, we've had many fair-weather camping trips together.

Now, the up-side is that back then, I was a dumb kid. Now I know a lot more, and I suspect that the leaders of this Troop know more than mine did way back then. We have better tents and equipment now. Plus - not to be selfish - I really want to experience this with my son. He's going to have lots of other trips when he gets older, and weeks at summer camp, that I won't be able to share, so I'd really like to take advantage of this chance.

Re: Is it wise to tempt fate?

There must be something about Gettysburg that's just plain evil. Aside from the flood we survived in Western Maryland, the next worst trip I went on was at Drummer Boy campground. It rained sideways for two days straight and we were stupid enough to stay after the first day. This was well before I'd learned any kind of trick to keep weather out my gear (not that sideways rain is something you can beat at all). We woke up with a swamp in our tent, our sleeping bags and all our clothes were soaked, a lot of it to the point where we had to wring it out. BUT - having said that, I would still go. It's a first for your son as a Boy Scout and you won't get a second chance to experience it with him. Even if the curse follows you, you'll both have a story that'll last a lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
      Or do I just go and hope that that time back in the 80s was an anomaly. I mean, it didn't rain on EVERY scout trip I went on...and since he's been in Cub Scouts, we've had many fair-weather camping trips together.

- I really want to experience this with my son. He's going to have lots of other trips when he gets older, and weeks at summer camp, that I won't be able to share, so I'd really like to take advantage of this chance.
      Yes. Go. Or you can think about what might have been later. My son is 12 and I go every chance I get. Our next dad/son camp trip (not Scouts) is coming up in less than 2 weeks. We're in the process of waiting for a weather forecast and planning gear and of course our menu. Maybe some early season fishing... hmmm. It's just a great opportunity to spend time with your boy.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Go. And when you're all sitting around the campfire, tell the kids your story (play it up big). Odds are the kids will actually end up envious of your trip.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          There must be something about Gettysburg that's just plain evil. Aside from the flood we survived in Western Maryland, the next worst trip I went on was at Drummer Boy campground. It rained sideways for two days straight and we were stupid enough to stay after the first day. This was well before I'd learned any kind of trick to keep weather out my gear (not that sideways rain is something you can beat at all). We woke up with a swamp in our tent, our sleeping bags and all our clothes were soaked, a lot of it to the point where we had to wring it out. BUT - having said that, I would still go. It's a first for your son as a Boy Scout and you won't get a second chance to experience it with him. Even if the curse follows you, you'll both have a story that'll last a lifetime
          Two Summers ago, we camped there and aside from some noisy neighbors and a rockier site than I was expecting, didn't have any issues. Thankfully, it didn't rain at all that weekend.

Comment

Are you kidding. You have a fantastic memory and a good story. Go with your kid. Make a memory. The opportunities are limited to do that.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Your being there or not won't effect the weather one way or the other. Go if you want, stay home if you'd rather, don't let superstition control or even influence your life, especially when it effects your relationship with your son.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Jack View Post
                Your being there or not won't effect the weather one way or the other. Go if you want, stay home if you'd rather, don't let superstition control or even influence your life, especially when it effects your relationship with your son.
                Yeah....except with sports because if your not careful you will jinx your team and be the reason they lose.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

You want that I send ya my kiddos' telephone numbers via PM?
                  The way I see it they survived my luck and lived to tell their therapists about it....:love:
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Since the Gettysburg trip was this past weekend, I just wanted to circle back and close the loop on this.

I won't give the whole blow-by-blow, weather-wise, but will say that it did rain. Around 2 AM Saturday, a wicked thunderstorm rolled through. Except for some gear left uncovered, everyone and everything stayed dry. It also rained for a bit while we were driving from the scout camp to the battlefield, but it cleared up by the time we started the bike ride. All in all, it was a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
                      Since the Gettysburg trip was this past weekend, I just wanted to circle back and close the loop on this.

I won't give the whole blow-by-blow, weather-wise, but will say that it did rain. Around 2 AM Saturday, a wicked thunderstorm rolled through. Except for some gear left uncovered, everyone and everything stayed dry. It also rained for a bit while we were driving from the scout camp to the battlefield, but it cleared up by the time we started the bike ride. All in all, it was a great weekend!
                      Glad to hear that all went well. Thanks for the follow up. Maybe a few more highlights/lowlights from the trip if you have the time and inclination.
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        Glad to hear that all went well. Thanks for the follow up. Maybe a few more highlights/lowlights from the trip if you have the time and inclination.
                        Highlights: Touring a fantastically historic site with a personal guide was awesome. Experiencing it on bike, while at points exhausting (Alex - my son - only made it until lunch and then rode in the support truck for the rest of the day), was far more engaging and interesting than taking the CD-based auto tour. Also, getting to see Alex be part of his patrol and help with the cooking and cleanup was pretty cool. Finally, the guy who did the cooking for the adults did an awesome job. The best part was the biscuit doughnuts for dessert; so simple (just pilsbury grands biscuits deep fried then dusted with cinnamon-sugar), but so delicious.

Lowlights: Hills. Specifically, pedaling up them. There are lots, and in many cases, there are stops at the bottoms, so lots of lost momentum.

Comment

Good memory. Meanwhile, enjoy, the show goes on. Was an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                          X