Tarp over tent with no trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarp over tent with no trees

Last season I tried erecting a tarp over my new tent and failed miserably. I have 4 adjustable poles to use and stakes and line. If I'm doing this myself is there a trick to the process? I would have no trees to tie to so would be free standing more or less. The tent would be an 8x9 or 10x10 at the biggest. What size tarp (heavy from WalMart silver and brown) would be best? I literally need step by step instructions here. Thanks in advance and yes, camping season here in the Midwest is just around the corner!

Re: Tarp over tent with no trees

Two possible solutions:
    Using the poles you have and adding 2x3's to stand in for the trees and anchored like this:

Or getting two more poles that extend higher than the poles you have and setting it up like this:

Note that I didn't highlight one of the guylines on the front right pole properly. It doesn't connect to the center pole as it looks in the picture. All guylines go to the ground.

In either case, you need to make sure the slope is steep enough to allow rain to pour off. Note the guyline I put in the center front that forces the water to the center and front rather than having a steep slope that would make you have to duck to get under cover. For the back, you can either drop it off at a steep angle or add another center line. I also recommend using a bungee on every line to absorb shock from wind or the weight of rain.

Some will tell you to just let the tarp rest on the tent. I like to keep it off the tent to insulate from the heat of the sun and as a buffer in case a tree branch falls on it or it rains. A tarp resting on a tent could possibly stress the tent and tent poles in the event of high wind or rain.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by MacGyver; 03-10-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Blue, you may find it helpful to loosely stake out the tarp before putting up the poles. This will help keep them from falling over. When you get the poles upright then you can go back and tighten your guylines.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks so much, as soon as this deep freeze is over I'll give these tips a try!

Comment

I have to do all the set up solo too. Loosely guying the tarp then adding the poles does make it much easier. I also make sure to angle the poles bases inward. They're more likely to stand on their own that way. Then I straighten and tighten the guy lines.

Comment

Originally posted by mishi View Post
            I have to do all the set up solo too. Loosely guying the tarp then adding the poles does make it much easier. I also make sure to angle the poles bases inward. They're more likely to stand on their own that way. Then I straighten and tighten the guy lines.
            This helps immensely, Thank you mishi! The more details and tips the better! Still have not got out to try it but schedules are clearing out to do so soon!

Comment

Originally posted by mishi View Post
              That's how I do it, too. And this is where the bungee cords on each line starts to come into play. I've figured out how loose to have the guy lines so that when I stand the corner poles up, they're pretty much exactly under the right tension. Only minor adjustments after that. (Hope that makes sense - kind of hard to describe some things in print)

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                That's how I do it, too. And this is where the bungee cords on each line starts to come into play. I've figured out how loose to have the guy lines so that when I stand the corner poles up, they're pretty much exactly under the right tension. Only minor adjustments after that. (Hope that makes sense - kind of hard to describe some things in print)
                The more info the better MacGyver! I can see how this would work.

Comment

I know a bit about pitching a large tarp over a large tent with no trees (a while back):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	70786

I've lightened my set-up and speeded my pitch up/down time considerably by moving to a Noah's 16' tarp. Only 2 poles required. I use it more as an awning...but I have tucked my tent under on occasion. Hopefully these pics show the corner pole/guyline set-up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ouabache.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	70787 Click image for larger version

Name:	SH5.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	70788

Regardless of tarp type...the advice above by others is good. Another good option is to view some YouTube videos for set-up advice. It is difficult to describe the set-up....much easier to watch. A basic set-up is not difficult...even solo.

Have pre-cut/measured guy lines ready to go-either have the knots tied or use the little 3 hole tensioner thingees. I keep my guy lines clipped onto a large carabiner to keep them organized.

I set-up my tarp first...then put the tent where i want it (under the tarp, close...like an awning, etc.)

After determining where your first pole will be placed...know (or step off) the distance to your 2 main guyline stake poinst. Stake down your first 2 guylines at 90 degrees from the first pole set. Determine where the remainder of the poles will be placed (you can either step off or use a length of paracord/other line that is premeasured to assist you in getting your distances apart correct). Stake out the remaining guylines.

Assemble your poles and place on ground in position. If your poles are adjustable (which makes this easier), set them to a lower setting.

Unroll/unfold your tarp and place into position. If it's windy, you'll appreciate having done the earlier steps at this point.....

Raise the first corner with the pole into tarp grommet...looping your 2 guylines over. Adjust height of pole until you have "some" tension in your lines and onto the pole (you will get to know where to set your knot/tensioner on the line). Holding onto the tarp to maintain tension...walk your way over to the opposite diagonal pole corner and do the same process (pole into grommet, loop guylines, raise pole). Loosely tension enough so everything stays up.

Do the other corners the same way.

After you are done, you can go back to each corner...loosen the guyline tension and raise your poles to the height you'd like and reset the tension.

A center pole...higher than your corner poles will/can prevent pooling on your tarp if you don't get the 4 corner angles/height quite correct. A tennis ball on the top of the center pole spike will prevent the pole from poking through the tarp.

Have some extra guylines ready to go and clip onto the tarp...in case the winds pick up and you need to quiet some flapping.

Practice a set-up before camp. When taking down...loosen your guylines just a bit...it'll make the next set-up more accurate. You WILL get better at set-up, prep, stake/guyline positioning each subsequent set-up!!!

All this is pretty easy and fast...especially if you have everything ready to go upon arrival. Always hank your guylines when taking down so they'll unroll easily when needed next time instead of being tangled. All this prep work a really pays off when you are trying to set up the tarp in windy or impending rain.
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 04-23-2017, 05:10 AM.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier you should do a video. We really like your setup and want to do some thing similar once our current canopy dies. We are visual learners.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      a65hoosier you should do a video. We really like your setup and want to do some thing similar once our current canopy dies. We are visual learners.
                      I agree with this and think Mac should do one as well.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                        Originally posted by James. View Post
                        I agree with this and think Mac should do one as well.
                        I described a more general tarp set-up above using the style of tarp being used by the OP (which I used to use). For the past few years, I have been using a Noah's tarp...which sets up a bit differently, however, the concepts and order I do things in is fairly standard: prepping/pre-tying my guylines, using marks/paracord to estimate distance on pole/guylines/stake placement, etc.

I don't think I can shoot a very good video with my older "smart" phone, however, my son has a newer phone (and an ipad) and the required skill set to shoot video so I may enlist his assistance.

If all else fails, I can take a series of pictures showing what I bring to the campsite for tarp set-up and how I actually go about setting up step by step.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I just got back from a week in northern MO for a festival. I got a 16 X 20 silver tarp set up over the Kodiak just fine. Four poles, six guy lines and four tarp straps on the back side with one line pulling down in the front for rain run off. Worked great in a soft rain the next day then the winds started up day and night with gusts up to 30 mi. per hour. Noisy! Finally had two grommets pull out and over she came. A couple of nice folks help me get it unhooked and folded up. I had a plan B which was the canopy and wing from Kodiak which housed my cooking set up but with much less room. So lesson learned that there must be no wind of consequence in the forecast to use a tarp set up like that. I had a lot oompliments on my set up before and after the wind though. And I did use tarp straps between the guylines and the stakes.

Comment

I just got back from a week in northern MO for a festival. I got a 16 X 20 silver tarp set up over the Kodiak just fine. Four poles, six guy lines and four tarp straps on the back side with one line pulling down in the front for rain run off. Worked great in a soft rain the next day then the winds started up day and night with gusts up to 30 mi. per hour. Noisy! Finally had two grommets pull out and over she came. A couple of nice folks help me get it unhooked and folded up. I had a plan B which was the canopy and wing from Kodiak which housed my cooking set up but with much less room. So lesson learned that there must be no wind of consequence in the forecast to use a tarp set up like that. I had a lot oompliments on my set up before and after the wind though. And I did use tarp straps between the guylines and the stakes.
                            Last edited by BluegrassLady; 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

16X20 is huge! I can imagine the problems.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X