Tarp over tent with no trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tarp over tent with no trees

On larger tarps you can beat some serious wind by adding more tieouts with bungees. That spreads out the tension on the grommets - especially the corners.
    This is an 18x24 getting kicked around a bit.

Comment

It was so noisy at night it was hard to sleep! I think I can salvage the tarp with ball bungees with cord wrapped around them where grommets pulled out. Kind of a pricey tarp to just let it go without trying to use it again sometime. I did enjoy the covered space it gave me.

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
        It was so noisy at night it was hard to sleep! I think I can salvage the tarp with ball bungees with cord wrapped around them where grommets pulled out. Kind of a pricey tarp to just let it go without trying to use it again sometime. I did enjoy the covered space it gave me.
        Sounds like you adapted and improvised well!!! That is a characteristic of a good camper! I'm sure the tunes made for enjoyable times!

I had much the same experience when I was using those types of tarps--popped grommets or having to add lines and/or poles (for lack of trees) to keep a good pitch....esp on a large tarp (wow you went giant for your first tarp!!). Yes, adding guyouts can provide additional tension and tautness to minimize flapping and grommet failure--but it also adds more work. Mac has his system down via practice and experience (trial and error) and it works great. But...I never could get those types of tarps to consistently pitch perfect (clean drainage and no flapping) if I didn't have trees to establish a good ridgeline and multiple lines to hold it quietly down in winds. If I managed to avoid the puddle and the flap, I'd stress and/or pop a grommet (which sounds like a medical condition-lol).

It's the reason I ultimately switched to the Noah. After a few years of use, I'm a believer in the ability of the Noah's catenary cut to help maintain a tighter pitch (the polyester fabric also has a bit of stretch to it which helps). Tighter pitch means it needs less lines (6) and less poles (2) to get cover overhead very fast, very taut, and very easy (solo). Really doesn't flap in high winds if pitched properly. Not for everyone as it has some limited best ways to set-up and the cat cut does cut down on coverage over the stated dimensions a bit where the cat cut "cuts in" along the length. And it's more expensive. But I generally set it up in the preferred flying diamond shape anyway and it covers what I need it to cover. And I am still using the same Noah---pretty durable/overall cost effective for a piece of gear. It's one of my family's favorite pieces of camping "stuff"-it's always used.

Definitely repair your tarp (it's worth it to do so to get you through the season). However, if you should need a new tarp in the future...seriously look at the Noah or similar (this could be one of those "watch for a great sale online" pieces of gear---they do go on sale---esp at the end of the season). It would be an easy tarp for you to set up solo.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I just saw this video on YouTube, does anyone have an opinion on this technique for guying tarp corners?

https://youtu.be/7E-r23PAKV0

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
            I just saw this video on YouTube, does anyone have an opinion on this technique for guying tarp corners?

https://youtu.be/7E-r23PAKV0
            Looks like it should work well for corners where you're not using a pole for support. The only question in my mind is how it would affect the geometry of the hang, like maybe the corners would bunch up or get some weird wrinkle or something. Some of my tarp setups don't use poles in the back, so I'm gonna try that next time I'm set up that way.

Comment

a65hoosier what size Kelty tarp is in post #9?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RickS View Post
                  The tarp in the top pic is a standard 16x20 tarp. Tarp in bottom pics is a 16 foot Noahs tarp.
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-27-2018, 11:45 PM.
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    The tarp in the top pic is a standard 16x20 tarp.
                    I missed that. How dare you! You're Cat Man. I'M Flat Man.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      I missed that. How dare you! You're Cat Man. I'M Flat Man.
                      Ha. No worries. Old pic. It's been many moons since I pitched a flat tarp.
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-28-2018, 01:51 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Here is what I did a couple weekends ago on first outing with my 2-person Kodiak.
                          12X12 Kelty tarp with 2 nice shock-corded tarp poles from Amazon. I wanted to keep sap and water off tent, so if I left in morning, tent wouldn’t be moist and could pack dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-21 19.01.37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	71052

Comment

Working...
                          X