Bad trips make good stories....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad trips make good stories....

I have often told people that bad trips make good stories....I got a great story this weekend.

I took Friday off from work and was hoping that I would be able to leave Thursday after work but knew that was a long shot. Didn't end up leaving until after noon on Friday and after hemming and hawing between going to a couple places that I knew about and a new area someone on another message board had posted some pictures of their day trip of and told me that there was a few places that they thought would be good for camping along El Oso Rd. I decided on going to the new area. Specifically, to a spot where Sycamore Creek crosses El Oso Rd. I had high hopes because it had rained pretty heavily a few days prior and I figured the streams would be swollen with all the runoff.

With my truck loaded and my dog as my copilot I was off. It should have taken about 2.5 hours to get where I was going but because I wasn't paying attention to what my gps was doing I ended up going an extra hour out of my way. That's ok, I don't mind the drive because the scenery is so nice. Excited as I turned off the asphalt I headed up the dirt mountain road.

Ten miles in I had passed few places that I would consider good camping spots when I came to an impressive clearing. It was on a rock outcropping that gave way to some great views and had room to spread out a bit.

Naturally I hopped back in my truck and headed down the road. I didn't give a second thought to the fact that the road I was on wasn't on Google Maps. I just kept pushing forward toward my goal. Another mile in and I reached the spot I was looking for and couldn't help but be underwhelmed. Sure there was running water and even a small pond but the water wasn't moving fast so the pond was a little iffy. I had seen plenty of runoff and new that the lower down I went the more water there would be so I decided to explore further down the road that was, by this time, headed downhill.

Just around the bend I ran into, what turned out to be El Oso Mine.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170303_170828[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	72961
    About 6' tall and looking like a cave in the side of the mountain it is literally on the side of the road. There was water on the floor so I didn't go in...plus it was pitch black. Just on the other side of the road was a spot that would have been just big enough for me to park my truck and set up camp. It would have been a tight fit but it would have been enough. There was also a small stream coming down the mountain, crossing the road and dropping further down on the other side making a fantastic waterfall sound. I walked up the road about a quarter mile and decided that the road might cross the stream one more time and hopped in the truck and continued down the road.....

By the time I realized that was a mistake it was too late. The road was to rough for my full size F150 despite the fact that it has 4wd...and there was nowhere to turn around. I didn't have any choice but to push forward. Getting out often to plot the safest course over the large rocks and swells on the road and greatly adding to my pinstripe collection on my truck I crawled forward hoping to get to a spot to turn around. Soon I realized that I was closer to what I hoped was the end of the road, basically where it met up with another road, then the beginning and figured it would be better to push through. It took me over an hour to go 2 miles. It was starting to get dark when I got to a spot that I didn't think I was going to be able to pass less than half a mile from the end of the road. Fortunately there was a spot that I was able to execute an 8 point turn and drive back to a flat spot where I can unload and set up my tent, literally in the middle of the road.

Name:	20170304_110502[1].jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	72962
    I as I was lying there there getting ready to go to sleep I was stressing out because I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to make it out the way I came in either. I was trying to form a plan for the morning. Clearly I wasn't going to set up everything and camp in the middle of the road for the weekend but maybe I could set up the grill and make a quick breakfast....oh crap...I didn't load up my grill before I left the house. No worries, I have plenty of snacks. Apples, chips, candy bars, and beef jerky that I generously shared with my dog. I woke up in the morning with a fresh attitude and after a bit of reading, loaded up and headed out.

Obviously I made it out but on my way out I was debating weather or not to just head for home or find another spot and camp for another night. My wife bought me a tripod grill for a campfire that I had to cook my food so it was still an option. I figured that I would stay at the original great spot with the views except someone was there. :( Kept heading toward home and took a different way out than I came in and was looking for a good spot. Came across one that was where 2 streams merged but it was right off a busy road. There must have been a dozen vehicles, mostly Polaris type off road things, go by in the first 30 minutes I was there looking around. I saw a turnoff on the other side of the road that only went in about 50-100 feet but opened to a clearing that was behind a small hill blocking most of the noise from the road. It was right by one of the streams and if you followed it up a bit there was a waterfall. The only hitch is that I would have to turn on the 4wd to get down that short road which after the trouble I had earlier I wasn't anxious to mess with anything like it again. But I decided I was going to stay there but since I had been texting my wife all that was going on and the last thing I told her was that I was most likely heading home I wanted to let her know that I was staying the extra night and where. The only problem was that there wasn't ANY cell reception. I even climbed the mountain a bit to see if I could get something...anything...but nothing. I figured I would head up the road a couple miles and find some reception. So I pulled up the gps coordinates and sent the text and went looking for a signal. 20 minutes later I still hadn't found a signal and my phone battery died despite being plugged into the lighter.

I called the weekend a bust and kept on for home. Thinking that my brother put it best. Mother Nature kicked my ass.

Name:	download518da3d7_f0_2fPictures_2fScreenshots_2fScreenshot_2017-03-04-18-09-24[1].jpg
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	72963
    Last edited by James.; 03-07-2017, 10:46 AM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Bad trips make good stories....

Yeah - you'll be talking about that trip for years to come. My gang's flood trip was about 30 years ago and we're still going on about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Yeah - you'll be talking about that trip for years to come. My gang's flood trip was about 30 years ago and we're still going on about it.
      That is a good story and definitely crazy. I don't blame you to want to stick to the high ground.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        That is a good story and definitely crazy. I don't blame you to want to stick to the high ground.
        The funny thing is, the site where we were during the flood is still one of the sites we frequent the most, especially when we have large groups. I've even gone there in Winter, with snow on the ground - just not three feet and 50+° weather predicted.

Comment

Ah... The penalties of full size vehicles (and not checking out the road via Google satellite view)...
          Been on a few trails that looked good until it became a deer/motorcycle path between 2 trees; especially fun to back out of for extended distances...
          Sometimes I have to wonder how pioneers ever got a team and wagon into/out of the location; or places with pre WW2 automobile remains (that remained) where highly prepped Jeeps had issues getting to/out of.

I was in so many places (before Google maps/satellite) that I can often say "I've been lost here before!".

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Ah... The penalties of full size vehicles (and not checking out the road via Google satellite view)...
            Been on a few trails that looked good until it became a deer/motorcycle path between 2 trees; especially fun to back out of for extended distances...
            Sometimes I have to wonder how pioneers ever got a team and wagon into/out of the location; or places with pre WW2 automobile remains (that remained) where highly prepped Jeeps had issues getting to/out of.

I was in so many places (before Google maps/satellite) that I can often say "I've been lost here before!".

Enjoy!
            That's the thing. I did use satellite view. It was wide enough....more or less. It was bumpy.

And they got their wagon teams into and out of those places because they were tougher than us....or they died.
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              The funny thing is, the site where we were during the flood is still one of the sites we frequent the most, especially when we have large groups. I've even gone there in Winter, with snow on the ground - just not three feet and 50+° weather predicted.

That's a nice picture. It looks like an ad.
              – E. B. White

Comment

That's the thing. I did use satellite view. It was wide enough....more or less. It was bumpy.

And they got their wagon teams into and out of those places because they were tougher than us....or they died.
                ...Well, at least you now know that location; sometimes you luck out, sometimes after doing everything right its still a bust.... only like a billion locations left in the eternal search for good spots...
                Sounds like a good area though,no cell phone coverage; you know you were in an area with potential!

they were tougher than us....or they died.
                Dead they are, probably... Hard living back then... Granny used to tell some stories; like planning for 3 months (when she was a young girl) to make a 20 mile all day day trip just to get to town (in Iowa). (Great grandpa, her father, was the second non Indian baby born in the county).

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-10-2017, 07:28 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  ...Well, at least you now know that location; sometimes you luck out, sometimes after doing everything right its still a bust.... only like a billion locations left in the eternal search for good spots...
                  Sounds like a good area though,no cell phone coverage; you know you were in an area with potential!

Dead they are, probably... Hard living back then... Granny used to tell some stories; like planning for 3 months (when she was a young girl) to make a 20 mile all day day trip just to get to town (in Iowa). (Great grandpa, her father, was the second non Indian baby born in the county).

Enjoy!
                  Yeah, and it wasn't a complete bust. I did find a couple spots that I want to go back to. One is back away from everyone and just before the road started to get bad. The other might be more seasonal because its main feature was that it is right near water but I don't know if it was running because of the heavy rain we had in the week before my trip.

I don't know if you have ever seen the movie A Million Ways to Die in the West but it makes the point that life back then was HARD. I think this goes over most peoples head. Even if they know, they don't really KNOW. I like westerns but most don't really show the hardships of day to day life. Camping gives us a taste of what it was like but even that isn't right because I take a battery with lights and my Nook, have toilet paper, pre-chopped wood, ice chest, etc.

Can you imagine going back in time with all your camping gear and meeting up with some homesteader? What would they think about all your gear?
                  – E. B. White

Comment

James - I would have totally explored that mine! Too good to pass up.

I can't say I've had a bad camping trip, other than finding out that the place I intended to camp, while arriving there past dark, is totally unsuitable. Which is why I now always have a backup site in mind.

There was this collecting trip I made with a bunch of guys however...my first clue it was going south was when somebody asked "Do you have any duct tape?"
                    Last edited by Irate Mormon; 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      James - I would have totally explored that mine! Too good to pass up.

I can't say I've had a bad camping trip, other than finding out that the place I intended to camp, while arriving there past dark, is totally unsuitable. Which is why I now always have a backup site in mind.

There was this collecting trip I made with a bunch of guys however...my first clue it was going south was when somebody asked "Do you have any duct tape?"
                      There was a good 6" of water on the floor of that mine that kept me from setting foot inside. Not saying that I would have gone far inside but probably a few feet.
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Yeah, and it wasn't a complete bust. I did find a couple spots that I want to go back to. One is back away from everyone and just before the road started to get bad. The other might be more seasonal because its main feature was that it is right near water but I don't know if it was running because of the heavy rain we had in the week before my trip.

I don't know if you have ever seen the movie A Million Ways to Die in the West but it makes the point that life back then was HARD. I think this goes over most peoples head. Even if they know, they don't really KNOW. I like westerns but most don't really show the hardships of day to day life. Camping gives us a taste of what it was like but even that isn't right because I take a battery with lights and my Nook, have toilet paper, pre-chopped wood, ice chest, etc.

Can you imagine going back in time with all your camping gear and meeting up with some homesteader? What would they think about all your gear?
                        Never saw that movie (stuck it on my search for in Netflix list; thanx!).

Since I regularly having been retired for some time I often get saddled with leaving early to occupy the best campsite, usually have a day or 2 of solo camping and trying to imagine the reactions of our ancestors has been one of the things I think about; I figure we would be burned or hung as witches...

Some years ago (in2002) PBS showed a number of programs having to do with modern folks living as they did in the past frontier house ...at least the first program is on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLWhuZxRX4
                        is in Montana 1870s. They made a number of others Victoria house and colonial house come to mind.

Enjoy!

Comment

The frontier house was a great show. It really pointed out some of the work. They stayed there for 3 months during the summer and had to have enough food, supplies, wood, etc., by the end of the show to get them through a winter. I think only 1 family was successful - the others would have died that winter. If I remember correctly, several of the couples split up after the show - it really pointed out some of the less "hard-working" folks... I remember they caught one guy with a spring frame under his mattress - that was "illegal contraband" for the show (they wouldn't have had something like that).
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hey James.
                            Told ya you should go for insane views but jessssssssss like my kids ya dinna listen.
                            Just don't call me with the same money whine cuz just like them you won't like the answer.......UNLESS you dangle a weally cute grand child in front o' me which allows me to fall like the house of wussy cards I know I'm made of.

Gotta wuv mixed metaphors and bad grammar.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                            X