Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-6 week dispersed camping trip in Wyoming

Hello all,

I’m planning a dispersed tent camping/backpacking trip from approximately mid/late April thru mid/late May this year. I’m focusing on northwestern Wyoming. I am considering a number of areas, but it’s hard to decide so I wanted to see what more experienced campers think. I’m considering some places in the Gros Ventre Wilderness, National Elk Refuge, Shadow Mountain, maybe Shoshone National Forest? Possibly even as far as Wolf Flats in Targhee. I know these are all very broad areas… as you can probably tell, I’m pretty overwhelmed with possibilities.

I know spring time has high bear activity, so if any of these places has lower bear activity relative to other places that would be preferable. Considering the duration of our trip, we’ll likely have to relocate once or twice (I think you have to move five miles every two weeks or so in most of these places).

What I’m looking for:
    Beautiful views of the Tetons and/or surrounding mountain ranges (I’m here for the nature!) And I’m hard to impress… I want drop-dead STUNNING views
    Enjoyable and beautiful hiking
    Privacy
    Something (very) near water
    Any kind of cell phone signal is preferable, but not necessary
    Relative proximity to some kind of road/civilization, in case we need to restock on supplies
    Something backpack-able… we’ll likely get a friend to drive us from Jackson and drop us off, but after that we’ll be without a vehicle. I don’t mind a several hour hike to camp.
    It would be great to be near hot springs and/or some other things to do for fun
    And most importantly, it has to be free!

I know that’s a big list and a lot to ask… I don’t expect to get everything I want, but I want to make the most of this trip. Any stories, experience, suggestions, or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: 4-6 week dispersed camping trip in Wyoming

Welcome!
    Sorry; I don't camp Wyoming (no real reason to drive that far for similar country to what we have locally)... so I can't make recommendations...
    Sounds like fun though...
    Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I don't have anything for you but jealousy. I would love to just visit Wyoming...camping would be amazing.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Welcome to the forum, pplbetrippin. I also wish I could help you, but Wyoming is 2,000 miles from here, so it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever get to go camping there. But, with my weird sense of humor, I think it's funny that I've always said that my lottery dream is to buy a cabin on a mountaintop in Wyoming, put up a ten foot fence around it and only come down into town once a month for food and supplies. The legend in town: "Don't go up there - he eats people".

Yeah - I'm with James. Nothing but jealousy here.

Comment

No help besides a welcome and enjoy your WY adventure.
          I'll be camping much further east near black bears so will be reading this thread avidly for bear tips.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Some of the higher country will still be snowed in, most will be melting, with large changes in how far in you can drive/hike every week at that time of year.

Taker several larger canisters of bear spray. One aint enough for a group, and a long trip, Id want more than one even if alone. Learn how to use it (good youtubes from the makers of the stuff, not joe schmoes interpretation of how to use it), and don't buy the cheapest stuff available, its not something you want to cheap out on. Consider it a consumable part of the trip, like gas to get there, and food. If you keep it for a few years and re-use it, fine, but don't get hung up on the economy of it.

All of the country you are going to is good grizzly country. A packable bear fence may also be worthwhile in your circumstance, at least for the cooking area, and maybe one (couple together) around the sleeping area. Good vid about testing them at the grizzly center in west Yellowstone I believe. Read up on the rules of safe food handling, wearing clothes you cooked/ate in, and such. You aren't trying to fool a human, youre trying to avoid detection of food odors from a very large carnivore/omnivore that can smell food from a long ways off. Taking food in your tent, or wearing clothes that smell like food isn't smart. Its been a fatal mistake in several instances, or we can surmise so, since there wasn't always much left to deduce information from. Be smart and have fun. Don't be smart, and tempt fate. Its not like theres a bear behind every tree waiting to pounce on you, but on the other hand, ignoring good advice about them and hiding your head in the sand and just saying "it wont happen to me" is a poor plan that can have life changing potential.

Its great country. Enjoy it. Be smart. It will go well.

ETA: forgot to add, Id suggest checking with the local ranger districts of the National Forests you plan on visiting and see if theres any current restrictions on tents. If bear activity is high or theres been a problem bear around, they may close areas to tent camping. Best find out beforehand. You may be able to sign up for notices somehow.

Last edited by Malamute; 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Wyoming is on my list. Just not there yet...
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
              X