Tarp camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarp camping

Me and a buddy went yarp camping last week! But honestly got a little creepy at night lol with one side of the tarp still open, and hearing all of the animals walking around camp.....lol was still a blast and not to bad and it rained from 11 p.m. til the time we left the next day and the rarp did its job by keeping me dry.......

https://youtu.be/lII3dKpWKGA

Re: Tarp camping

... spent many nights (and days) under tarps ... fun times!

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yup, tarps always worked for me when i was young and couldn't afford a tent.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

best night of sleep i have ever had was under nothing more than an ez up canopy.

Comment

I like tarp camping for its simplicity
          but does take a bit of getting used to
          especially if your squeamish about creepy crawlies in the middle of the night

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            I like tarp camping for its simplicity
            but does take a bit of getting used to
            especially if your squeamish about creepy crawlies in the middle of the night
            There's always one in the bunch!
            Creepy crawlies- massive shudder

:D
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I just have to ask: did you sleep under a Yarp, a Tarp, or a Rarp??? :lol:

Ever since my Mom told us about the time she and my dad went camping at the same time as a crazy guy was attacking another pair of tent campers in THAT campground with a knife (my parents and the other campers were on opposite sides of the large campground), I have felt the need to have more than a piece of canvas/nylon/plastic between me and other people while camping. Apparently the guy did a Norman Bates' knife attack while standing outside the tent - cutting up the innocent folks sleeping inside the tent.

But years and years before that, my 5th grade class went on a weekend backpack camping trip. We were camped at Kirby Cove just outside the Golden Gate Bridge. My friend and I found an old cement square foundation on the hillside. It was about 3 feet tall with a door opening on one side. We put her tarp inside on the ground and my tarp over the top and placed heavy rocks along the tops of the walls. Had a GREAT little cabin to sleep in. Even our teachers were impressed.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I spent 5 or so years camping around N Az (living out about 10 months of the year), mostly on a tarp as a groundcloth, sometimes in the back of my truck. I loved it at the time. The first year or so was on my motorcycle, and part time in a tipi for a couple years. Lot of good shelters can be made from a tarp. Not great where bugs are an issue, but if its just bears and coyotes and such, its not too big of a deal.

Have many good memories waking up, looking out at new falling snow, comfortable in the lean-to with the dog.

Comment

It sounds like a nice and 'wild' experience, but I'd prefer to sleep in a hammock under a tarp. Still open to the air, but off the ground away from crawly things.
                  "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

Working...
                  X