First camping in my Springbar Traveler 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First camping in my Springbar Traveler 5

Last year I had my first camping trip in my new Springbar. It went really well. We had some pretty good winds one day and it handled it like a champ. It's so easy to set these up/tear down, even by myself. It's really just putting in the stakes, which could be hard if the ground was hard. But I have a lot of different types of stakes for whatever ground I would encounter.

The only thing I may think about is getting some sort of toilet to keep in/near the tent. While the porta potty wasn't far, it was a lot of work to get dressed and make it there in time. I was drinking a lot of water because it was a dry area at high elevation. Also, if I take my wife and kids (all female), I think that could be useful. Let me know if you have any suggestions on that.

There were a few Kodiaks at this camp also, but mostly RVs.

I sometimes check out RVs, but ultimately I don't see it as worth the cost/effort/storage. Unless our family really gets into camping, it seems like a bad idea. And quite frankly the costs (even a small pop up) are a bit too high for me. I also wouldn't want to tow anything other than an A-Frame or popup. Of the RVs out there I like the Airstreams, but they are super expensive and heavy.

So for now I see tent camping as the way to go. Below are a few pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	72958Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0270_LI.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	72960
    Attached Files

Re: First camping in my Springbar Traveler 5

Originally posted by GOLGO13 View Post
    The only thing I may think about is getting some sort of toilet to keep in/near the tent. While the porta potty wasn't far, it was a lot of work to get dressed and make it there in time. I was drinking a lot of water because it was a dry area at high elevation. Also, if I take my wife and kids (all female), I think that could be useful. Let me know if you have any suggestions on that.
    When the Mrs is along for a car camp trip I bring the Luggable Loo and the associated "Double Doodie" bags. Pretty easy. Keeps wife happy.

Name:	loo.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	70746 Click image for larger version

Name:	double doodie.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	70747

Nice tent! Where were you camping in the pics posted? Looks wide open.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Gotta love new gear! Getting my Kodiak certainly made life easier. Think it's got something to do with my back screaming to get off the ground and having to dance horizontally to change clothes.
      I don't think you'll want the toilet in the tent (for somewhat obvious reasons). A privacy shelter is what the people I know use. More or less a tall narrow dome tent. Also nice to use with a solar shower - something the women would probably love.

Hard ground? Not an issue if you can carry a cordless drill. http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...eg-alternative

Yeah, you're right about the expense of a camper. The initial cost, tag fees, maintenance, lower gas mileage... Tent camp as long as you enjoy it and can do it. But if you do go that route, I think you'd be surprised at how much of an Airstream you could tow. They're considerably lighter than stickbuilts and fiberglass. It's a shame I'm in that small minority that just doesn't like the look of 'em because I'm in the market for a camper and I'm trying to keep it on the smaller side, partially because of the weight.

Comment

I took MavGyver's advice, and used the Spax bolts. I love them.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

Nice tent! Where were you camping in the pics posted? Looks wide open.
          This was at the Okie Tex Star Party...it's in Kenton Oklahoma. AKA middle of no where.

Comment

Here is another shot showing more landscape. Luckily this place had meals/showers/power/wifi. And actually it was a very affordable camping trip. I think it was probably around $400 for 7-8 nights with meals. Not to mention some very dark skies. But it is a somewhat rough landscape which in bad weather wouldn't likely be fun. Somewhat higher elevation and dry. It got pretty windy the first night. And when the sun went below the mesas, it got cold really quick.

It's at the Black Mesa Bible Camp.

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	70748

Comment

Originally posted by GOLGO13 View Post
              Last year I had my first camping trip in my new Springbar. It went really well. We had some pretty good winds one day and it handled it like a champ. It's so easy to set these up/tear down, even by myself. It's really just putting in the stakes, which could be hard if the ground was hard. But I have a lot of different types of stakes for whatever ground I would encounter.

There were a few Kodiaks at this camp also, but mostly RVs.

I sometimes check out RVs, but ultimately I don't see it as worth the cost/effort/storage. Unless our family really gets into camping, it seems like a bad idea. And quite frankly the costs (even a small pop up) are a bit too high for me. I also wouldn't want to tow anything other than an A-Frame or popup. Of the RVs out there I like the Airstreams, but they are super expensive and heavy.

So for now I see tent camping as the way to go. Below are a few pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5945[/ATTACH]
              Sounds like youse had a nice get together.

I'm faced with the same problem as you and if I dinna already have a portable medical supply port a toilet on hand I'd go the luggable loo route. Use a tarp and a couple of poles; set it up outside the corner of the tent and it's all good.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X