Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Just getting back into camping, lots of questions

Quote Originally Posted by a65hoosier View Post
    Until you go out regularly and get your system down so packing is automatic, I'd recommend using a checklist.
    I don't know if I'll ever stop using a checklist. Sure - I've complicated things because I'm super gadget-laden and I guess the memory ain't what it used to be, but even back when I was walking the trails and keeping it simple, I found a checklist to be indispensable. The few times I've thought I had everything I needed and didn't check my list, I invariably left something behind.
    11.3% more sarcasm in 2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't know if I'll ever stop using a checklist. Sure - I've complicated things because I'm super gadget-laden and I guess the memory ain't what it used to be, but even back when I was walking the trails and keeping it simple, I found a checklist to be indispensable. The few times I've thought I had everything I needed and didn't check my list, I invariably left something behind.
    Yea...I still use a checklist to some degree. Passing off the personal duffel clothing checklist to each member of the family makes it much easier now than when the kids were younger and we had to pack everything. Now the rule is you are responsible for your own clothing/personal care/shoes/flipflops/hiking socks/boots/etc. It makes my life sooooo much easier in that I have less to worry about...and be on the hook for. lol

I've pretty well gotten the gear part down without the need for a checklist because of how I have my camping stuff organized. Having most everything I need with the camping "stuff" makes a big difference. I seldom need anything from anywhere else in the house/garage/shed. Everything is on gear shelves and they are organized into a sortof a "pick one" off each shelf (tent, stove, fuel type, lighting, cooler, sleeping system) or certain shelves where I take everything off the shelf because it always goes (tarps, guyouts, stake bag, loo, axe, fire poker, chairs, first aid kit, kitchen bin etc.)

Where I still use a checklist is in menu planning which morphs into a purchase/bring ingredient/food checklist and a "here's what we'll need to cook this menu" (pots/pans/stove/fuel) checklist. I'll add or subtract from our kitchen bin accordingly for special utensils and check off the list. Likewise...we have the food checklist which is crossed off as I pack the food bin and/or cooler.

Oh..and since we got a new puppy in Dec...I have created a checklist for her sleeping/food/toy stuff since it is also new for me. Can't forget stuff for the pup. lol
    2017: 10 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps-16ft and 12ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I do a checklist maybe a day ahead of time...Guitar, CHECK! AR, CHECK! Oh yeah, camping stuff...also CHECK!
    2017: Oklahoma bound!

Thread Information