Adding a cold food tray to a pelican 30 Qt. cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a cold food tray to a pelican 30 Qt. cooler

Have been thinking about adding a cold food tray or bin to the Pelican 30 Qt. elete cooler.
    At first look Pelican seemed to offer a wire basket as an accessory, however more careful checking and measuring showed that this accessory would not fit the 30 QT (pelican says it fits the 35 QT, 30 Qt is N/A)... it is over priced; at around $50 in any case, IMO.

A quick web and amazon search indicates that some folks are using steam table trays as cooler trays;

A further search of amazon indicated that the Winco 1/4 size steam table tray can probably be made to work IF an adapter frame is fabricated (it will fall to the bottom of the cooler without the frame to hold it up);
    https://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPQ4-Si...ds=winco+1%2F4

Ordered and received the Winco 1/4 x 4 inch deep tray; Now I just have to cut some 1/4" Lexan/Plexiglas for the frame... ought to keep me occupied today...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-25-2017, 01:37 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Adding a cold food tray to a pelican 30 Qt. cooler

Step 1. measure the cooler (and determine that, like old houses, roto molded objecs are only kinda square and kinda straight.
    2. trim a likely piece of material to size and lay out the cuts...
    3. make the cuts (a 1 3/4" hole saw seems to match the corner radius of the pan pretty well)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler tray support DSCF0260.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	70740
    4. round 2 corners, on a long side, to fit the cooler.
    5. peel the protective coating and try it; fine tune the fit to the cooler...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler with trayDSCF0261.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	70741
    ...cans and bottle are for scale and the lid closes with an upright can in the steam table pan/tray...

Success!...I think...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Nice!
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Success? Absolutely!!!
        looks like you can fit butter/bread spread; cold cuts + cheeses; 1/2 dz eggs...maybe more and all those lil items that get lost in the bottom.
        Wayyyyy cool.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanx!
          ...as far as stuff I figure (typical weekend) a jar with 4-6 eggs (without shells), 1/4 pound of butter, some jalapeno cheese, some American cheese(like substance), a package of dogs or lunchmeat, several burgers, some condiments (maybe a couple of steaks or pork chops) and potentially some cold fried chicken (lunch the first day)...
          We will have to see how it goes; if I need more room I can get a 6" deep pan for 50% more space... and preload fewer beers/sodas.
          I 'm thinking that the pre-nuked foil wrapped baked 'taters may need to be double freezer bagged and the potato & macaroni salad in plastic containers; may still end up as floaters...
          (I almost always bring too much food!...)

One of the things that I really like, is that this cooler is supposed to be rated as bear resistant (still need to chain it to a tree and bolt/padlock the lid though (have been, a bit, worried for years about a hungry bear tearing up the vehicle to get food).

I can get a cover for the tray also but so far haven't been able to determine a need...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-26-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Ordered, and received the deeper steam table pan; for use instead of the smaller one, if I need it; better to have and not need than to need and not have!
            ... the 2 pans nest together pretty well and store in the cooler (saving cabinet space).

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-11-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

You've inspired me to do a temporary mod to my cooler in the same vein.

Most of my tools are in storage now so I'll use a waxed piece of cardboard to replace the Lexan and an existing rectangular baking pan for the container. Hopefully it'll hold up for the duration on my long camping trip.
              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

...Cool!
                ...hope it works at least good enough (I suggest double lock freezer bags as a backup)...((pro'lly preaching to the choir)).
                Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-25-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Tried out the cooler and stainless tray over the weekend after memorial day; it is too small , I will be making another support and using the second pan on the other side of the cooler.

Enjoy!

Comment

Bah - Forget all the measuring and cutting and trial and error. Just build a solar powered super conductor so the pan will float in mid air. :he:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Bah - Forget all the measuring and cutting and trial and error. Just build a solar powered super conductor so the pan will float in mid air. :he:
                      Now you know that was jes wronggggggggg. In fact, I think it was cold......

2017:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        If you have an old one lying around; maybe we can deal but the cost & time of development for me would likely be excessive...
                        A polycarbonate frame takes maybe 20 minutes to make and fit; pro'lly less now that I have one to duplicate. (Need to stock back up on disc sander stick-ons though)
                        the alternative of just letting the things like potato salad float on around in ice is even easier yet.

...Looked this morning and the ice cubes (20 lbs) are down by less than half in 5 1/2 days so the potato salad container wouldn't even be wet yet...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                          If you have an old one lying around; maybe we can deal...
                          I would let you have mine, but I use it to levitate my cot in hot weather. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                            Now you know that was jes wronggggggggg. In fact, I think it was cold......
                            Yeah - I get told that a lot. A LOT!

Comment

Working...
                            X