Camping Action Vs. Camping Slothdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Action Vs. Camping Slothdom

I was going to post this in response to the comments about "things to do" when camping on the other thread, but decided it should have it's own.

I prefer campgrounds without activities... part of my enjoyment in camping is to slow down the pace without guilt. So if I do nothing but sit around reading, eating and sleeping, I'm fine with it. If I feel like doing stuff, I will add in some casual hiking, photography, swimming (well, it's more like wading with the dogs along), and critter watching.

I also tend not to want to socialize outside from the folks I'm with - I have to do enough of that with work. So campground events don't intrigue me at all. Like my home, I consider my campsite to be my "personal space" and I don't like intruders. The camphost who sees me outside reading and wants to chat for an hour drives me insane. I'd bring the bird outside more often if he didn't draw people over so much. The casual "hello" with no expectation of conversation is fine and happily reciprocated - I'm not anti-social, just not social.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Camping Action Vs. Camping Slothdom

I agree. I am an introvert and socializing while camping is not high in my list of priorities.

One of my other hobbies is playing the ukulele. There is a Ukulele Campout every year about three hours from my house. There is tent camping near a stage, and RV camping up a hill a ways. Three days of playing songs with other people, having mutual meals, and generally lots of events including workshops. Every year I think I am going to go. Then, I start looking at the amount of people talking about it in the campout Facebook page with sign ups for bringing food, t-shirt order options, and lists for the songs to play, and .... then I go camping elsewhere with my significant other and have a good time playing my uke all by myself.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Really depends on how I'm feeling and who I'm camping with. There are times when "I vant to be alone" whilst camping, normally with adults.
      For the kiddo included trips I'm always an extrovert except for mornings.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Actad - I do the same thing. I think about how much fun a group camping trip sounds. Then I start thinking about having all those people there all the time and I realize it won't be fun at all.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I think this is funny. I don't do camp sites because when I am camping I really don't want to see another human being. But if I run across someone I have no problem having a long conversation with them.

It should be noted that I am drunk.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I normally do my camping in state parks but I plan my trips when the tent camping areas are empty. I usually camp in late winter/early spring, Monday through Thursday, while school is in session. Usually it is too cool for most tent campers and since the kids are in school families don't show up until the weekend and I am gone by then. It's not that I am antisocial, it's just that I get enough social interaction during the week and I camp to unwind and relax. I eat when and what I want to. I bathe when I want to. I sleep and nap when I want to. I watch nature, take a few pictures, read a book or two, or just lay back and watch the clouds drift by. I have found that after about 3 nights alone I am re-energized and ready to get back to my wife, to work, and to real life. In a couple of years when my wife and I retire then she will go with me and we might stay an extra night or 2 then.

Comment

As far as campgrounds with activities; you mean there are actually people that want activities? ... other than such natural things as, cleaning out the fire pit, wood gathering and hauling water from the spring/creek/rivers; listening to the brook & wind in the trees while catching some rays or inhabiting the shade, or wandering around for exercise and/or to see whatever...
              I think I vaguely remember stopping overnight at a numbered site in Wisconsin in the early 1980s (hopefully I'm mistaken) but otherwise I avoid such things.
              I go camping to try to get as far away from "civilization" as possible (when there is no cell service I know that I am getting close)...If there are pads, showers or toilets its time to hit the accelerator and "get-outa-there"..."Run away, Sir Robin!"
              If other folks show up its a pretty fair indicator that they have similar thoughts/attitudes, and we can normally socialize just fine; IF we want.
              Regularly, I let friends, who have moderately well prepped 4WD vehicles, know where I will be camping and if they happen by it sometimes/often turns into a quiet party; 'round the campfire/under a tarp or canopy - if it rains sleets snows etc...("All my rowdy friends have settled down...")
              Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm not going as far out as some of you. But, out here, we have a lot of National Forest campgrounds up in the Sierras. They vary between small and primitive (less than 15 sites, no water, pit toilets) to large (over 100 sites, showers and real toilets, boat ramps, general stores). I usually go with the medium sized (15-50 sites, pit to real toilets, water spigots) as they tend to meet my non-social preferences with my "don't drive 3+ hours without reservations" in high-season policy (and they're only open in high season). Even if they're full, I get my solitude.

For off-season, I hit the lower altitude campgrounds that are too hot and have too many partyers in high season. They are beautifully empty in winter. And since they tend to be in the foothills with shrubs not trees, I can sit in my campsite and see a long way off.

Comment

I'm pretty much down with camping slothdom. I do like to explore. Or not. Any way the wind blows...
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Camping for me is all about relaxing/being lazy. The extent of my activities usually consists of cooking, napping, drinking beer, and target shooting. Not necessarily in that order. I don't like to go hiking, play games, ect. The people that usually go with feel the same.

I generally hate to cook at home, but camping I actually enjoy it and do it all. Usually a big breakfast, followed by small lunch and decent sized dinner. Last trip we did a brisket in my smoker. This trip we will do another brisket and fry wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      I'm pretty much down with camping slothdom. I do like to explore. Or not. Any way the wind blows...
                      Oklahoma?
                      Here's some mood music for ya:

https://youtu.be/ZbrnXl2gO_k
                      You may, or may not, be happy to know the Princess is going through a Rodgers and Hammerstein phase.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We call "camping without activities" an RV PARK, hahahaha. :penguin:
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I believe my wife and I prefer Camping Slothdom. Like others, that's not to say we do nothing, we just plan our own activities, if we want to.

We use camping as a way to get away from being busy all the time. It's nice to just go and do nothing. There is actually plenty to do around camp anyway, tending to the fire, cooking delicious meals, keeping the bugs away.

Comment

NYC, I've listened to that entire soundtrack until I know every word of every song :-)
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              NYC, I've listened to that entire soundtrack until I know every word of every song :-)
                              Didn't we all? I also had an uncanny ability to be sick from school on the days that Dialing for Dollars showed Carousel and Oklahoma... I love Carousel.

Oh and if Princess enjoys Rogers and Hammerstein has she tried Rogers and Hart? Opens up a whole new world.

Comment

Working...
                              X