Help Me Think this Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Think this Through

I'm camping at a new to me area this year @ Indian Lake, NY. It's a primitive site and all gear and provisions has to be boated in.
    Has a privy but I suspect my peoples aren't going to want to use it unless it's a dire need moment.
    My initial thought was to use a 5-6 person dome tent as a privy/shower but maybe I'm overthinking this.

On this site we are only allowed to have 2 tents so if I used one as a bathroom and the other as a sleeping tent wouldn't have a screen tent with all it's uses.

The new thought is to bring the screen tent which is much bigger (12'*12') and partition it for regular use as a inclement weather L/R/dining space/cooking area AND bathroom. Oh and I'm thinking that regular bathing can be done in the lake as long as we utilize a biodegradable soap. I'll still bring a 4 gallon sun shower for bad weather days.

How does that sound to you?

TIA!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Help Me Think this Through

Another option would be to get one of these (which I have no experience with):

http://www.pahaque.com/pq/product.asp?pid=104149

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
      Another option would be to get one of these (which I have no experience with):

http://www.pahaque.com/pq/product.asp?pid=104149
      That's my owned and needs a few repairs (thanks for the reminder!) baby.
      Costly but soooooooooo worthy. ceiling is almost 7' tall which could help un trap excess gas.....
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I wouldn't want the bathroom that close. Can you have a small bathroom like Fred suggested?
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          The new thought is to bring the screen tent which is much bigger (12'*12') and partition it for regular use as a inclement weather L/R/dining space/cooking area AND bathroom.
          From the other side and through the thin curtain: "hey, can you just bring my pancakes to me? I'm going to be sitting here a bit....those burritos last night really did a number on me."

Perhaps this whilst you enjoy your carefully crafted camp breakfast:

Seriously, I think I would call and verify. Many of the campgrounds I go to allow 2 tents and 1 dining fly/ez-up/screen house (lol...of which none I use-I go with the Noah Tarp). They may not even consider a bathroom privy shelter to be part of the "tent" count. You can find those privacy shelters at all price/quality points.

How about setting up an open top screen wall for the privy? Not cheap, but high quality materials and it has some multi-functional use to it. Since it's in 3 segments, you could form a triangle and put the privy inside:

http://thewallup.com/classic/index.htm
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Awww, just make 'em pee in the woods... :tussor:
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yanno.....there are times when it just makes noooooooooo sense to post.
              My mind was wandering obviously:he:.
              Maybeee it was a flashback to a French movie where people sat on toilets around the dining table and then excused themselves to eat in the bathroom. Maybe it was "Discrete Charms of the Bourgeoisie" ? Maybe not but for sure it was Bunuel directing.
              See that? I can blame one more thing on the French!

I have tried calling the park but they are not opened this time of the year.
              Thanks for the link to the privacy screens, hoosier.

And Fred, in the spirit of my day of living stupidly I dinna scroll down the link just saw the screen tents at the top.....sigh. No idea what's getting into me.
              2017:

Comment

Seriously, I think the bathing in the lake is a great idea. I do it with me and the dogs. Keep a bottle of biodegradable all-in-one in the clipper (have regular shower gear for rallies, etc.) Besides, the best part of coming home is going straight for a nice long hot shower.

Personally, I think the idea of peeing in a porta-potty in a tent close enough to everyone for them to hear me doing my business is worse than using the pit toilets. I wouldn't overthink it. Get a couple tarps and hang them around the porta-potty in a location as far away from "camp" as possible. Then tell them they can go there or in the pit toilet - their choice. I suspect after the first time they hear someone else peeing in the porta-potty, they'll all be traipsing over to the pit toilets.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I agree with toedtoes about hanging a couple of tarps, but I would use some black plastic sheeting. It's cheap and if you can find 3 or 4 trees close enough together you can just wrap it around the trees and set your porta-potty inside. If you can't find any trees close enough together then just tie the plastic to some limbs. Years ago I was teaching some boys campcraft skills and when we camped we would dig a slit trench and then surround it with some black plastic. It was such a novel idea to them that they looked for an excuse to use the facilities. Now that works for boys but might as not be acceptable for girls or adults but it would be better than some pit toilets I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    Awww, just make 'em pee in the woods... :tussor:
                    Rightttt.
                    The well nicknamed "Princess" who is a Picayune of the First Order is gonna pee in the woods?!?
                    My goodness what kinda drugs are you on and can I have some too?:glasses:
                    2017:

Comment

Rightttt.
                      The well nicknamed "Princess" who is a Picayune of the First Order is gonna pee in the woods?!?
                      My goodness what kinda drugs are you on and can I have some too?:glasses:
                      Gotta pee somewhere. If there is no other option then the woods it will be.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Even princesses pee in the woods. I believe it's actually a requirement for them - how else will they be kidnapped by the evil magician so the handsome knight/prince can save her???

And if Eleanor of Aquitaine could go on crusade, then the Princess can use a pit toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          Gotta pee somewhere. If there is no other option then the woods it will be.
                          There is that reality and always the possibility I'm overthinking. the whole thing.

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          Even princesses pee in the woods. I believe it's actually a requirement for them - how else will they be kidnapped by the evil magician so the handsome knight/prince can save her???

And if Eleanor of Aquitaine could go on crusade, then the Princess can use a pit toilet.
                          Let's all hope she not waiting for a handsome prince to save her bacon but Eleanor of Aquitaine now that's ingenious; the Princess loves " A Lion in Winter" and Katherine too.
                          2017:

Comment

Let's all hope she not waiting for a handsome prince to save her bacon but Eleanor of Aquitaine now that's ingenious; the Princess loves " A Lion in Winter" and Katherine too.
                            OK - I hereby recognize The Princess as an exceptional person!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X