Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by macgyver View Post
    hahahahaha!!!!
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      .....I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.....
      Agree. I'm on many lists, but never a member.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        I'm trying to brush up on some basic things like knot tying, knife & ax sharpening, bushcraft style fire starting, compass navigation, and cooking (beyond boiling water for freeze dried). I got a pressure cooker I'm hoping to be able to use for things like dried beans, rice, and quinoa.

Except when using the car instead of the motorcycle, the tent will be downsized from the ~10x10x7 PahaQue to a ~8x16x6 Redverz, for generally faster setup and drier setup in the rain, since inner and outer tents pitch together. The cooler on the tongue of the motorcycle cargo trailer has to go, because it adds too much tongue weight (bad trailer design with the wheels too far back). The propane tank is downsized to a 6#. A new rigid case for the CPAP machine and other fragile electronic stuff. Maybe getting a camera, maybe not. I'm also hoping to learn how to setup and start using the tarp I took along last year but never used.

A major overall goal is to be able to setup camp in about an hour. So far we haven't come close to that. So on "travel days" of a road trip (arriving at a campground in the early evening and leaving the next morning) there has been some cheating (motels).
        I too like quick setups and teardowns... The dome take 15-20 minutes, the standing room tent takes about an hour (one person - hoping to refine that this year).

Where do you get quinoa and how do you prepare it? ...heard about this for years but haven't found a source (other than seeds to grow your own)...

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
        Up to now, most of our camping has been with my son's Cub Scout Pack, but he's moving up to Boy Scouts next month. I'm hoping to chaperone a few of his scout outings and we're also planning a couple of weekends with other families in the same situation. So, the big focus for me will be helping him transition to the idea of "real" camping. Our Cub Pack turned everything up to 11 to get scouts (and their families) to enjoy the outdoors on (very) full stomachs.

So, on our family/group trips, I'm planning to teach him and his friends more about camp cooking (emphasis on Dutch Ovens) and how to entertain themselves in the outdoors without a full schedule of activities. Actually, that last part is going to be hardest on my wife. When we look at places to camp, her concern is "what is there to do?" Personally, I'm OK with wandering the woods or just sitting in a chair with a good book. Apparently that makes me boring.

Gear-wsie, I recently scored (on Craigslist) a very used by still functional Camp Chef Pro60X stove to replace the cheap Ozark Trail stove we've been using. It needs some rust removal and a coat of paint, but for the price, it was a steal. I'm also planning a smoker conversion kit for my Weber Jumbo Joe grill so we can enjoy real BBQ in the wilderness. Finally, I bought a new truck recently (2017 Toyota Tacoma), so we've now got more than enough space to haul all of this stuff.
        ...I'm a confirmed wanderer myself.
        ...usually can find a nice shady spot and a cool drink to accompany the reading; sometimes accompanied by munchies...
        That 60X looks like a whole lotta stove...

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Where do you get quinoa and how do you prepare it? ...heard about this for years but haven't found a source (other than seeds to grow your own)...
          I get quinoa at the bulk foods section of Whole Foods. Cooks like rice except with more water and less time. 3 parts water to 1 part quinoa. Cook for 15 minutes. 15 minutes isn't so bad for camp cooking. Its the long cooking time of dried beans and brown rice that pressure cooking should help shorten. The time isn't a big deal, but stretching out the fuel over more days is helpful. That's the theory anyway.

Comment

Oh, I also picked up two of these https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Original-30-Inch-42-Inch-Chocolate/dp/B00CLA0RVE/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1487448163&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+cot.

Got them at Costco for $19.99 each. Have blankies to put on them already. We'll see how the dogs take to them. Hopefully, they'll like them enough that I can sit out at night longer before Bat-dog insists it's time to go inside and be comfortable. She's been known to stand at the door of the clipper glaring at everyone until they realize they're interfering with her schedule.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              .....I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.....
              This doesn't work for me as I am awesome and every club would LOVE to have me as a member.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

With the advent of quality Bluetooth receivers and a 200 GB sd micro card in my Galaxy S7, it looks like there's little need to lug my 42 lb. Optima and 3-piece stereo around (okay, always fun in the desert) the local mountains for good sound. My trip to the islands last month confirms that I can get good, loud & clear mids and base in the outdoors. I've got two large and two small Bluetooth receivers, and one of each are even waterproof. The small power banks are also getting crazy cheap out here in SoCal as well, so I guess it's time to move on...no, not to living in "A Van Down By The River", I'll still be camping.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Toedtoes, I'm interested in knowing how the dogs take to those cots, hehe!
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

In preparation for lugging a house battery, and the cooler;
                    Got one of these...

A, relatively cheap, folding light duty hand truck/luggage cart...
                    I could reduce bulk some by going to bluetoot speakers, however the good ones are not inexpensive (while I am, often, more than a bit penurious)...
                    The 35 amp hour battery capacity is becoming marginal due to the stereo's power consumption so I expect to go for a larger (heavier) battery eventually....eagerly anticipating larger lithium battery tech...
                    ...trying hard NOT to bring the genny...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-23-2017, 07:35 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Just added a stainless cold food pan/tray to the cooler...
                      http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...6855#post46855

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        I added 2 inches of memory foam to my bed.

I just ordered a telescope, so I am planning on spending nights watching the sky. I will, at some point, get an adapter to attach my camera to it (but I figure I should get the hang of using it before I start trying to take photos with it).
                        A telescope, that's awesome! What did you get?
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

As for myself, I will be transitioning from tent/truck bed to hammock. Also placing an emphasis on foraging for food.

Comment

Oh, I also have been seriously remiss in my guitar practice, which deficiency I must correct in order to woo women at campgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              A telescope, that's awesome! What did you get?
                              I got an Orion 11043 SpaceProbe 3 Atlazimuth Reflector Telescope. It's an entry level version, but has maintained a high rating on stargazing sites over several years. I'm hoping to get a chance to try it out in a couple weeks.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Alt/az has limitations, but you can get a lot more scope for the $. I like the price of that one, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X