Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    After a bottle of rum it will look just fine.
    11.3% more sarcasm in 2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Which tent is that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Ordered a 12 volt Bluetooth audio amp for the campsite along with a 1,1.5, or 2 liter (depending on which review you read) pressure cooker (hopefully, to make better pasta at altitude).

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Amp...A2B8YUJLML2GI6

https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Delu...ressure+cooker

Enjoy!
    Old, well set up, CJ-7, lockers, 4:1 Tcase, gears, 35s, winch... for the far places...
    For "civilized" camping/glamping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; MTs and lockers soon.
    Usually hauling a 9x9 dome, a 10x10 (advertised) standing room, or a 12x12 alaknak tent (which one is length of stay dependent).
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Ordered a 12 volt Bluetooth audio amp for the campsite along with a 1,1.5, or 2 liter (depending on which review you read) pressure cooker (hopefully, to make better pasta at altitude).

https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Delu...ressure+cooker

Enjoy!
    What does the bluetooth amp thing do?
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    What does the bluetooth amp thing do?
    It lets me cordlessly link to the (50+ hours of) music in my phone (extra memory card) and drive a pair of wired speakers with (allegedly) 20 watts of power per channel... since other folks that I camp with use Bluetooth speakers (normally with short runtimes) we will potentially have the ability (with an app) to run every thing from the same source(s) for surround tunes... and /or run my system off their sources, after their speaker batteries die.

...this is a bit of a gamble since it is obviously cheap Chinese junk and it is likely that the specs are untrue; but for 20 bucks its not that much of a loss it doesn't work...
    It should arrive today or tomorrow; will post how/if it works.

Enjoy!

Edit; also ordered a Torsen front limited slip differential for the Explorer (not the best but the best that seems to be made) for this Minnie mouse IFS vehicle...
    https://torsen.com/aftermarket-sales/

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-16-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    Old, well set up, CJ-7, lockers, 4:1 Tcase, gears, 35s, winch... for the far places...
    For "civilized" camping/glamping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; MTs and lockers soon.
    Usually hauling a 9x9 dome, a 10x10 (advertised) standing room, or a 12x12 alaknak tent (which one is length of stay dependent).
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Ordered a 12 volt Bluetooth audio amp for the campsite.

Enjoy!
    Received the above amplifier, its about the size of a thick paperback book and considerably lighter in weight.
    After fabricating a power wire to let it run from my 12 volt tent (house) battery I attached a couple old KLH 970a weather resistant patio speakers (4; 2 in series per channel).

Fired up the amp and turned on the phone then went to the phone's settings and turned on Bluetooth then had it search for devices to connect to... it found the amp easily).
    I went to the phone's music player and started it playing...
    After a bit of time getting the tone controls set and trying out (the incredibly cheap , not very good) remote) I listened for a couple of hours ;
    The highs are piercing/incredibly bright had to turn the treble control down considerably.
    The bass control resulted in quite muddy sound when turned up but was acceptable at moderate boost (after a few beers I doubt that anyone will notice and bar music (country) isn't really noted for high quality sound in any case)....
    This little amp can provide enough sound level to completely fill a 10 x12 room so it will probably be OK camping and does perform a bit better in the midrange than the computer speakers that I was using. It does fall short in bass response (needs a subwoofer) although that is the result of the speaker size/characteristics more than anything else.

Overall I would rate this as acceptable for a low quality cheap/disposable amp purchased for camping...
    I would not expect to use the remote for much, it seems to be IR and doesn't work well.
    I did notice that picking up the box seemed to confuse the Bluetooth indicating that perhaps the circuitry is not particularly stable, however the indoor range on the Bluetooth is at least 20 feet for this particular unit so I cant really complain.
    I didn't try the FM radio features.
    It seems to have the ability to use either a memory card or thumbnail drive but the abysmal instructions are unclear and I did not attempt to use these features.
    As noted in the amazon reviews the front panel lightshow LEDs are quite obnoxious and I will either tape over them or fill their holes with black RTV silicon.

So far it performs well enough that I will likely buy another when (not if) this one dies...

Note; if attempting to use this amp with a 12 volt wall wart (plug in power supply) be certain that the wall wart/power supply is rated to supply at least 50 watts at 12 volts; insufficient power will almost certainly result in clipping and probably blown speakers and/or damage to the amp.

Enjoy!

Edit;I was curious so I measured the average(more or less) current draw of the amp in use; at normal(for me) personal listening levels it draws on the order of .25 to .3 amps or so.
    At higher (party) levels it draws upon the order of .5 or .6 amps.

...still need to figure out a portable 12 volt subwoofer (low level of priority)... the above will work, at least for this summer.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-18-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Thread Information