Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are you planning for this year?

Since its been pretty quiet around here, lately; I'm wondering what gear/technique additions/changes everyone is planning for the up coming camping season?
    so far I've accumulated;
    A better cooler (arrived yesterday),

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...r/cooler/30QT/
    A sailor's mirror (mostly for shaving)
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...Sailors-mirror
    Some wall art... to relieve the institutional grey walls/make the tent interior more interesting...
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ck-Down-Tables
    A way to temporarily/intermittently (for a couple of hours) heat the tent (while getting up, going to bed and for social time when it rains/snows/sleets/etc.).
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ers)&highlight=

Need to make/get;
    A new camping stove,
    Headboard/arm rests for the cot,
    An awning,
    A way to pressurize the in-tent water container (I'm thinking; a hand pump pressurized garden sprayer).
    A way to conveniently heat the shave/wash water
    a hat rack, both for visitors and myself; I live in "the West", after all...

Admittedly some of these fall into the Glamping arena and some (the cooler) will definitely take up more space in the vehicle...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-16-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

My goal is to put a fresh coat of paint on my chuck box. Add a sleeping pad and get out more.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

3. Likes Happy Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm adding movie night to the party. Have yet to work out the frame for the screen, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Kee Klamp fittings and 3/4" pipe. I'm also adding another deep cycle to the mix, so that's added thoughts about making a collapsible cart for the battery bank and solar panels.

5. Likes Happy Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I added 2 inches of memory foam to my bed.

I just ordered a telescope, so I am planning on spending nights watching the sky. I will, at some point, get an adapter to attach my camera to it (but I figure I should get the hang of using it before I start trying to take photos with it).

Working on adding TPMS to my clipper tires.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

7. Likes Happy Joe, MacGyver liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post
    I added 2 inches of memory foam to my bed.

I just ordered a telescope, so I am planning on spending nights watching the sky. I will, at some point, get an adapter to attach my camera to it (but I figure I should get the hang of using it before I start trying to take photos with it).

Working on adding TPMS to my clipper tires.
    Do post up some pics when you get it dialed in.
    2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12

9. Thanks toedtoes thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm adding movie night to the party. Have yet to work out the frame for the screen, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Kee Klamp fittings and 3/4" pipe. I'm also adding another deep cycle to the mix, so that's added thoughts about making a collapsible cart for the battery bank and solar panels.
    ...this (movies) is sounding more and more tempting...
    ...Get thee behind me ...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-17-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

The Mrs. and I are heading out Saturday night for our first camp in 2017-leaving the boy with his sister at home...to watch our new puppy-more on that below

We're looking forward to it as predicted temps are mid 60's highs and mid 40's lows (so much for "winter camping" lol).

Going to be trying out some new camping "gear" on this trip...leaving a couple of future camping "take alongs" home until future trip(s). We'll be trying out a single burner stove from GasOne for our morning oatmeal and coffee (haven't decided on perked or instant). It is dual fuel...I'll be running it on the 1lb green propane tank:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasone.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	5937

I hunted down a good sale on a Marmot Limestone 4p this winter at close to 50% off. Because the weather will be mild, we'll be taking this tent to give it a shake down. Not sure about the blue/orange combo, but mainly it will be my son's tent going forward when we car camp (he'll keep the dog in with him). He loves orange (my choice would have been the green), so orange it is.

Name:	limestone 4p tent.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	5938

We're leaving behind a Blackstone 15x17 propane fired griddle my dad gave me for Christmas (this trip it's just the two of us for an overnight so we're going simple. We'll be cooking dinner (ribeye chunks on skewers, baked potato/sweet potato and steamed veggies) over the campfire.

We're also leaving behind our new hiking gal and camping partner in crime, "Willa":

Name:	16508158_10207482362887158_5310665543681043034_n (1).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	5936

We got her just before Christmas. She is our first family dog. I'm so excited to get her out camping. We've done day hikes already (when the weather wasn't raining or brutally cold-she's not a fan of cold temps). She loves being out on a trail. I'd like to take her on her first trip this time, but the kids would scream (since they have plans to take her to the park). It was part of the deal...sooooo, we'll just enjoy a quiet adult campout. FYI...this week has been crawling along.......
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-16-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12

12. Likes Happy Joe, toedtoes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Willa's a cutie!!! Moose-dog was cold a lot when he was a puppy - his metabolism was so high that he just couldn't eat enough to maintain any insulation (he was eating 5-1/2 cups of food per day). He has long since evened out and no longer gets real cold like that. Also, snow can make up for being cold.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

14. Likes a65hoosier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by a65hoosier View Post
    Do post up some pics when you get it dialed in.
    Will do. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the hang of it pretty easily, so photos won't be long in coming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Bought some heavy duty camp chairs for the new camping season. Had two different styles of chairs fail last year. Either they are making them much flimsier or perhaps we are gaining .... no, no, no, they are making them much flimsier. These new ones are rated at 500 lbs, so I think we are ok

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...0-lb?a=1886409
    - Laura
    Coleman Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer
    Nights camping in 2017 = 0

17. Likes NYCgrrl, Happy Joe, toedtoes liked this post

Thread Information