Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
    Finallyyyyyyyyyyy sold my apartment today and I plan to spend .015 % of the 4% of the net profit on camping gear.

Going to the car show this weekend and gonna act grand but but spend sensibly, LOL.
    Last payment on the RV.
    Buying a Jetboil and demn the need to bring another fuel just for morning hot beverages.
    Maybee I'll go full tilt boogie and buy a porta potty tent too.

Sweet! Congrats on the sale.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Finallyyyyyyyyyyy sold my apartment today
      You can SELL an apartment? Must be a NY thing...
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Congrats on the sale NYCgrrl!

Let the shopping begin!

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

You have no idea how big of a smile that screenshot of the video gave me. The album that that song came from was a gift YEARS ago from the people I used to babysit for. Considering how many people know that song, I am surprised how the album itself has remained pretty obscure. Only a true Rare Earth fan would have known that Quentin Tarentino used a riff from one of the songs on the album in his movie Inglorious Basterds - that also made me smile when I saw the movie. That cover art is definitely etched in my mind. I'd gone through I five copies on vinyl before I finally found a copy on CD.

Comment

Need some opinion (and I know there's a lot out there;
            Should I get an ARB air locker (on sale with a free $200 compressor until the end of the month) for the explorer (bout a grand without bearings, installation set etc.), Or should I spend part of the money on a jet boil half gen stove (about $180)?
            The air locker will let me go more places easier (farther from more people), but the jetboil is also desirable (but not essential), this summer.

Enjoy!

edit; essentially I save enough to pay for the stove; ordered the locker (there does not seem to be any available from 4 wheel parts in the US) and brought home the air compressor...
            Now come the endless wait for the slow banana boat from Australia... good thing its a want and not a need!

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Well... it looks like Maryland threw the switch on the weather and it's now Summer. High 40s, low 50s in the morning last week, now we're pretty steady at 70+. I sat outside on the deck midday and realized that three weeks from now might wind up a bit of a scorcher for our big trip. So, it was off to the Internet to order a tarp big enough for half a dozen or more people to sit under. 18x30 and in a new color for me - tan.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                18x30 and in a new color for me - tan.
                That's a good size tarp. Hope you get some decent weather for your trip.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I used up my REI dividend (along with the 20% member discount and a couple of gift cards) earlier this month on a big ticket item. Essentially...I paid sales tax on it...the rest of the cost was covered...so I splurged. I usually try to get a larger item with my dividend rather than chewing it up on smaller stuff. A couple years ago, we got Therm-a-rest pads, last year was the Marmot Limestone 6p.

NOTE: I'm not a crazy spender at REI since they tend to be at full retail most of the year. I build most of my dividend using their branded Mastercard and pass my daughter's monthly college tuition/expenses thru the card to accumulate the "cash back/dividend" points. I get a smaller portion of the dividend via REI purchases (10% back as a member and an extra 5% if I use the card). It adds up fairly well.

This year: I got a YETI 50 cooler in ice blue. I went with the 50 due to it's relatively smaller footprint (it is taller-more cubelike rather than rectangular like most of their models) and the ability to still carry it solo. It should fit a bit better in the SUV than my Coleman Xtreme. Nice feature....the YETI 50 will hold 2 litre bottles and/or bottles of wine standing up (NYCgrrl - I remember a thread that touched on this topic and trying to find a decent cooler to accomplish this task).

I still have a mental block that I have to make sure I keep this thing either in the SUV or securely locked down (I'm leaning toward keeping it in the SUV for the most part). I never worried at all about the Coleman "walking away" whilst I was out hiking and away from camp---so security thinking will be a change for me.

Of course....the ice blue color was on backorder when I purchased. I'm hoping it will arrive this week as I have a car camp trip coming up next weekend. Really curious about the performance...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yeti50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	70789
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Added this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	70793
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

• Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

That's pretty sweet 05KQ700 !! A guy I work with has been talking about purchasing one of those. Sounds like him & his girlfriend are tired of the tent on the ground type camping, but aren't to keen on buying a trailer yet either. He was telling me they make an air mattress that is shaped to fit inside the bed of his truck also. Thanks for sharing the pic !!
                      2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

• Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        Added this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6021[/ATTACH]
                        Very nice! It looks great...complements the color of your truck.

Is that the Disco-O bed off to the side? It appears you did good with your camping shopping list.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

This year: I got a YETI 50 cooler in ice blue. I went with the 50 due to it's relatively smaller footprint (it is taller-more cubelike rather than rectangular like most of their models) and the ability to still carry it solo. It should fit a bit better in the SUV than my Coleman Xtreme. Nice feature....the YETI 50 will hold 2 litre bottles and/or bottles of wine standing up (NYCgrrl - I remember a thread that touched on this topic and trying to find a decent cooler to accomplish this task).

I still have a mental block that I have to make sure I keep this thing either in the SUV or securely locked down (I'm leaning toward keeping it in the SUV for the most part). I never worried at all about the Coleman "walking away" whilst I was out hiking and away from camp---so security thinking will be a change for me.

Of course....the ice blue color was on backorder when I purchased. I'm hoping it will arrive this week as I have a car camp trip coming up next weekend. Really curious about the performance...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6017[/ATTACH]
                          Quite jealous of the YETI and love the blue! Please give us a review when you get a chance. I would definitely keep it in the SUV under cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                            You can SELL an apartment? Must be a NY thing...
                            It's called a co-op here and is pretty much only found in NYC. The closest real estate transaction the rest of the country knows of is a condominium. You don't get a deed when buying a co-op; you get shares in the corporation...that holds the deed to the entire building. And like a condo you still get the "privilege" of paying a monthly fee. Now I have to go back to looking for the new place before the "gummint" can sink it's teeth into me.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              You have no idea how big of a smile that screenshot of the video gave me. The album that that song came from was a gift YEARS ago from the people I used to babysit for. Considering how many people know that song, I am surprised how the album itself has remained pretty obscure. Only a true Rare Earth fan would have known that Quentin Tarentino used a riff from one of the songs on the album in his movie Inglorious Basterds - that also made me smile when I saw the movie. That cover art is definitely etched in my mind. I'd gone through I five copies on vinyl before I finally found a copy on CD.
                              Rare Earth. Motown's new beginning, LOL. :glasses:
                              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                                I used up my REI dividend (along with the 20% member discount and a couple of gift cards) earlier this month on a big ticket item. Essentially...I paid sales tax on it...the rest of the cost was covered...so I splurged. I usually try to get a larger item with my dividend rather than chewing it up on smaller stuff. A couple years ago, we got Therm-a-rest pads, last year was the Marmot Limestone 6p.

NOTE: I'm not a crazy spender at REI since they tend to be at full retail most of the year. I build most of my dividend using their branded Mastercard and pass my daughter's monthly college tuition/expenses thru the card to accumulate the "cash back/dividend" points. I get a smaller portion of the dividend via REI purchases (10% back as a member and an extra 5% if I use the card). It adds up fairly well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6017[/ATTACH]
                                Nowwwwwwwwww that's traveling in style! Ice blue colour calls for blue curacao margaritas to celebrate and the bottles will even fit :B.
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X