Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

We're also leaving behind our new hiking gal and camping partner in crime, "Willa":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5936[/ATTACH]

We got her just before Christmas. She is our first family dog. I'm so excited to get her out camping. We've done day hikes already (when the weather wasn't raining or brutally cold-she's not a fan of cold temps). She loves being out on a trail. I'd like to take her on her first trip this time, but the kids would scream (since they have plans to take her to the park). It was part of the deal...sooooo, we'll just enjoy a quiet adult campout. FYI...this week has been crawling along.......
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:cool:
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

I have been sitting here re/over thinking this 30 quart cooler... I may have gone too small.

The included destructions/literature recommend a 2:1 ratio of ice to goods; giving me roughly 577 cubic inches (~10 quarts) of food &/ beer capacity... not much (12-18 cans and some dogs & burgers) although it will likely be fine for me for up to 3, hopefully 4, days (if I reload the beer/soda in the (cool/cold) mornings).

Its now apparent that I have been overloading the old cooler with food & refreshments.

Can't, hardly, wait until I can see if the numbers are correct...I feel the need for a trial run... Gotta find a source for block ice (besides my freezer)...

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-17-2017, 07:19 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        I have been sitting here re/over thinking this 30 quart cooler... I may have gone too small.

The included destructions/literature recommend a 2:1 ratio of ice to goods; giving me roughly 577 cubic inches (~10 quarts) of food &/ beer capacity... not much (12-18 cans and some dogs & burgers) although it will likely be fine for me for up to 3, hopefully 4, days (if I reload the beer/soda in the (cool/cold) mornings).

Its now apparent that I have been overloading the old cooler with food & refreshments.

Can't, hardly, wait until I can see if the numbers are correct...I feel the need for a trial run... Gotta find a source for block ice (besides my freezer)...

Enjoy!
        ...I...I think it's not tall enough for a wine bottle..........oh horrors!:bigboulay:
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Up to now, most of our camping has been with my son's Cub Scout Pack, but he's moving up to Boy Scouts next month. I'm hoping to chaperone a few of his scout outings and we're also planning a couple of weekends with other families in the same situation. So, the big focus for me will be helping him transition to the idea of "real" camping. Our Cub Pack turned everything up to 11 to get scouts (and their families) to enjoy the outdoors on (very) full stomachs.

So, on our family/group trips, I'm planning to teach him and his friends more about camp cooking (emphasis on Dutch Ovens) and how to entertain themselves in the outdoors without a full schedule of activities. Actually, that last part is going to be hardest on my wife. When we look at places to camp, her concern is "what is there to do?" Personally, I'm OK with wandering the woods or just sitting in a chair with a good book. Apparently that makes me boring.

Gear-wsie, I recently scored (on Craigslist) a very used by still functional Camp Chef Pro60X stove to replace the cheap Ozark Trail stove we've been using. It needs some rust removal and a coat of paint, but for the price, it was a steal. I'm also planning a smoker conversion kit for my Weber Jumbo Joe grill so we can enjoy real BBQ in the wilderness. Finally, I bought a new truck recently (2017 Toyota Tacoma), so we've now got more than enough space to haul all of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            ...I...I think it's not tall enough for a wine bottle..........oh horrors!:bigboulay:
            Just checked; lid won't close on a vertical bottle E&J Gallo white zinfandel (first bottle that came to hand)...
            However since wine should be stored on its side, to keep the cork moist, it fits fine laying down... disaster has been avoided!
            ...not certain; should red or white be served with hot dogs?... and S'mores...

Enjoy!
            (edit);
            I figure turkey dogs probably should be accompanied by a white wine.
            And all beef dogs red...
            (shrugs)...
            Oh, well I will likely just go with a basic domestic pilsner (Miller Genuine Draft) instead.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-17-2017, 12:57 PM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I don't recall you saying what yer movie list was. Did I miss it or is that just ahead of the gun?
              I'd like to see "Deliverance" and the latest remake of "Last of the Mohicans", thankee kindly.
              With our gang of idiots.. I mean friends, it's going to be all Mel Brooks, Monty Python and the original Airplane. Just about anything stupid, irreverent, or politically incorrect will do.

Comment

...should red or white be served with hot dogs?... and twinkies...
                Yes.

Comment

Just checked; lid won't close on a vertical bottle E&J Gallo white zinfandel (first bottle that came to hand)...
                  However since wine should be stored on its side, to keep the cork moist, it fits fine laying down... disaster has been avoided!
                  ...not certain; should red or white be served with hot dogs?... and S'mores...

Enjoy!
                  By the time you get to guzzling err drinking the wine, storage worries, are over as far as the cork is concerned . Your new problem is serving it w/o getting water in it. I have noted that "2 buck Chuck", yanno the ones in the cardboard box will hold up fine even when ( no if to that) the box disintegrates since it has a screw on plastic bladder.
                  Ahhhhhh the scientific 'speriments I preform for youse........hiccup...

Twinkies need ice wine or Barsac type wine
                  Hot dogs cries 4 beer.
                  S'mores want copious amts of water, a toothbrush and paste; helps with the high class/de trop (as u see it) plaque.:angel:
                  2017:

Comment

...sorry! I was editing my post to include beer and missed a timely response to the responses...
                    (an I haven't even been drinking any adult beverages today...Yet!

Enjoy!

(edit); wine comes in boxes?... I guess I have heard though not seen... need to check this out!

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      With our gang of idiots.. I mean friends, it's going to be all Mel Brooks, Monty Python and the original Airplane. Just about anything stupid, irreverent, or politically incorrect will do.
                      What no Borat! or or Bean or Blackadder????!?
                      Hpmh ya need to change yer level of sarcasm this year.....
                      2017:

Comment

...sorry! I was editing my post to include beer and missed a timely response to the responses...
                        (an I haven't even been drinking any adult beverages today...Yet!

Enjoy!

(edit); wine comes in boxes?... I guess I have heard though not seen... need to check this out!

Enjoy!
                        There's always a bar open in some time zone. Jet lag is funky
                        2017:

Comment

???Benny Hill?...

Comment

???Benny Hill?...
                            Fawlty Towers!
                            2017:

Comment

What no Borat! or or Bean or Blackadder????!?
                              Hpmh ya need to change yer level of sarcasm this year.....

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                                .....I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.....
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X