Did I make a mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I make a mistake

I just pulled the trigger on a kelty trail ridge 8 tent. Two adults and two kids plus an 80 lb Chesapeake bay retriever that is still growing. Is this tent going to be too big for most campsite pads? What do most families our size use?

Re: Did I make a mistake

I don't know. I have never seen a campsite pad. I will say that I have a tent that is 16x16 and I have found a spot for it.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I haven't camped at a park with pads in years, but I do seem to recall that some places had pads that only allowed for tents up to 10x10. I guess in your situation it'd be good to call around to the places you're considering camping and ask what accommodations they have. If they're too small and it's not too late, I'd "pull a reverse trigger" on a return.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I haven't camped at a park with pads in years, but I do seem to recall that some places had pads that only allowed for tents up to 10x10. I guess in your situation it'd be good to call around to the places you're considering camping and ask what accommodations they have. If they're too small and it's not too late, I'd "pull a reverse trigger" on a return.
        I recall the same info (10x10) somewhere in a different thread...I think it was regarding the size of pads in National Parks out West.

I have camped at a couple of parks with pads, all being larger than 10x10. MacGyver's idea to call ahead (or web check-but may not be indicated) is a good one.

I do have to ask: how old are your kids? The reasoning being that if they are old enough, you could lean towards a 2 tent solution (may not help with campsites with small singular pads). You and other adult in one 4-6 person tent, the kids in another 4-6 person tent...the retriever goes in either tent. Gives everyone some privacy, smaller tents pitch easier/take down quicker, etc.

Of course, if the kiddos are little ones...then everyone goes in the big tent (lol....I've been there).

FYI....the Kelty Trail Ridge series is a decent tent. Good waterproof ratings on fly/floor. Aluminum poles. If you got the new version..it has that cool star gazing fly. You may want to put down some sort of rug or blanket on the floor to protect it from dogs claws/punctures...floor is only 68 denier fabric. It will hold up without (68 is not bad)...but a little extra margin of safety never hurts (besides..it sucks to get a tear in a new tent). Put a tarp or footprint under the tent floor on the ground and you'll be good to go.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

All- I appreciate the responses- we were able to check out the sites of a local campground online and will have plenty of room
          A65 I appreciate the response. Kids are 4 and 7 so separate tents are not an option yet. Should I be worried about the quality of the floor? Maybe this is why it came with a foot print? I tried not to go bottom of the barrel, but the wife kept me on a budget. The plan right now is to use a couple of old comforters on the tent floor and since we are car camping space/weight isn't a big concern.

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackers102 View Post
            I just pulled the trigger on a kelty trail ridge 8 tent. Two adults and two kids plus an 80 lb Chesapeake bay retriever that is still growing. Is this tent going to be too big for most campsite pads? What do most families our size use?
            Another one who rarely sees a tent pad yet you got a great answer from others about checking out the size of pads in the region you would like to camp in. The only restriction I know of by me is at Fire Island National Seashore where my 14'*12' is too large.

HTH and have fun out there.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The luxury of big tents comes with its challenges. Outside of the tent pad issue, some parks with smallish campsites can be generally challenging for larger tents. Usually you can figure out a way to make it work, but you might have tree roots under the tent and guy lines running into the bushes (we always stake out all our guy lines don't we?). Only one time, last summer, I had to move to a larger site, and luckily one was available. Setting up a tarp (which I have no experience with yet) would seem to need additional space and might not always be possible in some places, I would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                (we always stake out all our guy lines don't we?)
                Errrrrr now I do. The CT shore has taught me a few lessons:cool:.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have used a 10 x 12 tent for years. It's a little big for some tent pads at campgrounds. When I asked about placing it on the grass off the tent pad most camp site attendants didn't object. Sometimes I had to try to fit it the best I could, which sometimes meant one end was for sleeping and the other end was for storing gear.

Comment

Why aren't the moderators releasing my response post?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackers102 View Post
                      All- I appreciate the responses- we were able to check out the sites of a local campground online and will have plenty of room
                      A65 I appreciate the response. Kids are 4 and 7 so separate tents are not an option yet. Should I be worried about the quality of the floor? Maybe this is why it came with a foot print? I tried not to go bottom of the barrel, but the wife kept me on a budget. The plan right now is to use a couple of old comforters on the tent floor and since we are car camping space/weight isn't a big concern.

thanks again.
                      The included footprint is a bonus. I always use something under the tent (sometimes a footprint if I have one for the tent I'm bringing...sometimes a properly sized tarp for other tents). It adds some abrasion protection to the floor and keeps the underside of the tent floor cleaner---adding some longevity to the hardest working part of the tent. Comforters will work fine inside. When car camping, I use a couple of old army wool blankets on the floor.

Your Kelty TR is a good tent (certainly not barrel bottom) and much better than the average tent found in the big box stores. Nothing wrong with sticking to a budget---you probably will have other gear to obtain. Most tents will last a long time with proper site selection, careful pitching, guying out fully, care using the zippers.....and storing it clean and dry. I hang my tents from the ceiling in the garage for a few days post trip to dry and air out before storing away. I never put away any gear/supplies on my shelves until it's dry, clean, maintenanced/fixed, and/or replenished. Ready to grab and go the next trip...no worries.

Have fun on your camping adventures. Your kids ages are fantastic to begin to instill a love of the outdoors and camping. Remember each camp trip is practice to fine tune the next trip (sortof like the first pancake cooked). Roll with it. You'll have an ooops or two, but you'll have good memorable times.

Post up pics of your camping trip if you hang around the forum.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

That tent is not overly large. Not near as bad as the monster Coleman I regret purchasing, which tent I have been able to set up in pretty much any developed park (state, Corps of Engineers...).
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                        X