Sailors' mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailors' mirror

Got the last order of stuff form Amazon yesterday.
    Making an approximation of one of these;

for shaving and to improve the inside of the tent a bit...
    I decided to make principally because the item from anthropologie
    https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/s...M&type=REGULAR
    is too heavy (estimate around 4 pounds), but also it is a bit on the spendy side.

This (mirror) https://www.amazon.com/Round-Glass-M...s=round+mirror
    + a 9" cake pan https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metal...etallic+9+inch
    Plus some approximately 3/4" thick Styrofoam gives me the body;
    Glue Styrofoam to mirror as a spacer to center it in the cake pan (helps reduce visual confusion).
    ...then attach foam to pan.
    The Chicago Metallic pan is almost too nice to use for project makin's and the no stick coating has, so far, resisted my attempts to glue the assembly together (trying silicone RTV as an adhesive currently... 24 hour cure time, so no pics yet. Hot melt glue, 2 kinds, has been a no go. If this fails I will probably have to get out the abrasives, to remove the coating/enable a glue-able surface...

The steel pan is also a bit on the heavy side at 1.1 pounds; if I make another I will likely go with either an 8" or 10" aluminum pan, round mirrors are available in both diameters...

I still need to accumulate some 1 inch nylon or polly webbing and some Chicago screws...

Enjoy
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-09-2017, 07:14 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Sailors' mirror

The silicone RTV seems to have worked as an adheasive...
    Here's a pic of the body;

Click image for larger version

Name:	sailors mirror bodyDSCF0256.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	70732

Now I need to inventory the leather crafting supplies and look for some Chicago screws;

I like them for use where I want essentially a dressed up nut & bolt or a removable rivet; I usually get them from Amazon or Tandy leather or someplace local that sells horse tac/supplies.
    Think I will check out the local Big R after todays run to wally mart (for webbing and pizza makin's).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Found a couple of Chicago screws, however, they are 1/4" long so I will need to do some file work, 1/8" would be a better fit.
      Wally-mart didn't have any webbing so I will do a first run using some 3/4" that I have in stock; wanted 1" as I feel that it would look better.
      I'll knock together a double loop and post a pic...

Enjoy!

Comment

For webbing hit a hobby lobby, Michaels.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          For webbing hit a hobby lobby, Michaels.
          Yep! Hobby lobby was going to be my next try when I get time to drive across town...
          Here's a pic of the 3/4" webbing double loop;

Name:	mirror web strapDSCF0257.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	70733

And one of the mirror;

Name:	Mirror complete DSCF0258.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	70734

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            The silicone RTV seems to have worked as an adheasive...
            Here's a pic of the body;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5930[/ATTACH]

Now I need to inventory the leather crafting supplies and look for some Chicago screws;

I like them for use where I want essentially a dressed up nut & bolt or a removable rivet; I usually get them from Amazon or Tandy leather or someplace local that sells horse tac/supplies.
            Think I will check out the local Big R after todays run to wally mart (for webbing and pizza makin's).

Enjoy!
            Project is looking really good!
            Special shout out for giving the name of the chicago screw. Been wondering what to call that doohickie for far too long, LOL.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Project is looking really good!
              Special shout out for giving the name of the chicago screw. Been wondering what to call that doohickie for far too long, LOL.
              You are very Welcome!
              I like the plain, nickel plated or brass ones although sometimes (especially from tac/harness suppliers) there are designs embossed in them (fancier).
              Sometimes they are available from office supply stores, then they are usually aluminum and sometimes called binder screw posts/screw binder posts.

Enjoy!

(Edit); tried it out last trip its too heavy for the tent wall, I will be re thinking this ... perhaps a flat magnet, outside the tent fabric (the pan is steel/magnetic) supported (hung from) by the tent frame...
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-05-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X