Camping Resets the Circadian Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Resets the Circadian Clock

Always suspected that camping was good for something...

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...202-story.html

Re: Camping Resets the Circadian Clock

That makes a lot of sense, but I don't need science to tell me camping is good for me. Years ago, I worked at a plant with thousands of people and every once in a while someone would tell me, "You need a camping trip". I knew what it meant - My attitude was sour (the polite word) and I needed an adjustment. I'd go out for a long weekend and come back ready to deal with all the garbage (another polite word) at work.

That still rings true. Work, along with 3 funerals in the last 6 weeks, has been rough on the nerves for the last couple of months and I'm long overdue to go out and live in the dirt for a few days. Still trying to make it happen...

Comment

Ditto! (although the funerals haven't yet started in earnest, for me, crosses fingers)... condolences, MacG...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Interestingly, our circadian rhythm is not based on a 24 hour cycle, but instead it's closer to 26 hours. If you deprive a subject of light cycle cues, they go into a free running rhythm that is slightly longer than a standard day.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

As someone who has always needed more sleep than the average person (I've always needed 8 hours of actual sleep - not 8 hours in bed), and have had serous sleep deprivation over the years, I've done a lot of self-investigation into my circadian rhythm.

1. Room/area temperature is the most important. When camping, you are subject to a colder temperature at night than you are in your home. That will help you reach a deep sleep pattern easier. I've gone to leaving my bedroom window open year-round to keep my nighttime temps down. A cold room with lots of warm blankets works better than a less cold room with no blankets (age-related aches and pains in the joints will feel cold more if there is no weight of blankets on them and those aches and pains will impede your sleep).

2. Light. As the article says, when you get light is important. Light during the day = good; light at night = bad. Also, when camping, you are less likely to light up your entire space. At home, you are trying to get things done at night, so you turn on all the lights; when camping, you happily sit in the dark relaxing and only turn on a single light to get another drink or find the bathroom.

3. Fluids. When camping, you tend to drink more fluids throughout the day as well as in the evening. Dehydration can make you wake up groggy and off-kilter. Even with 64 ounces of water during the day, when you sleep, your fluid levels will have dropped a good amount (look and see how much darker your pee is first thing in the morning than it was the night before).

4. Exercise and relaxation. When camping, you tend to play hard during the day and relax in the evening. At home, you tend to be far more active in the evening trying to get things done. The first is helpful to a good night's sleep; the latter not so much.

5. Food. When camping, you tend to eat better. That will help your sleep also.

6. Stress. Most folks begin to relax after the first night of a camping trip. They get caught up in the outdoors, etc., and start to let go of work and other stressors. This is why many people don't sleep well the first night away from home - they haven't let go of their stressors. After a full day away from home, they start to let go and are then able to sleep better.

7. Establishing a set sleep pattern. When camping, you tend to keep to the same bedtime schedule. At home, you're much more likely to vary your sleep pattern on a daily or weekly basis. The more you vary your schedule, the harder it is to establish a circadian pattern.

8. Each person has a time of night (usually a 1 to 2 hour period) where they do their deep sleep. Even if their schedule changes, this deep sleep period will be constant. If you interrupt this period often, you will develop sleep issues. For me, my period is between 4 and 6 a.m. As long as I can sleep during those hours, I can function well even on less hours of sleep. But if I'm awake during those hours, even if I slept a full 8 hours, I am a mess. Depending on when your personal period is, you are often less likely to be woken up during it. For example, at home, my deep sleep period is often interrupted by sirens, dogs barking, cars revving, etc. When camping, there are far fewer loud noises during those hours. If your deep sleep period is from 12 to 2 a.m., you will likely have more interruptions when camping due to folks staying up late at night, etc.

So, the study doesn't surprise me at all. We have far less stuff going on that will interfere with our sleep when camping than when we are at home. In addition, while it can take a really long time to "make up" for lost sleep, even one good night out of seven will do wonders for you. Especially for your emotional frame of mind. I get panic attacks when I have sleep deprivation. That one good night of sleep can stop the panic attacks for several days before they build back up. That's why I always keep trying to get that good night of sleep no matter how bad off I am.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
          X