portable toilet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable toilet?

Recently I have known about the existence of .......toilets for camping, guys, portable toilet...for...camping. Is it me so uneducated? Does anybody know about this one?:aww:

Last edited by Adon; 09-11-2018, 04:01 AM.

Re: portable toilet?

The need (IMO) determines the accumulated knowledge, in many cases... (after nearly falling over into a, recently filled, cat hole; I decided to get this one)...
    http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-320p/

Primarily because I can get spare parts for it. However, if I were to get another I would get a larger tank (can also get a larger tank as a spare part, if the small capacity becomes a bigger deal).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-03-2017, 06:09 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The travel trailer has a nice mini bathroom, but right now the trailer is winterized. A bedside commode fits in the bathroom floor space. It works great as it has assist rails, which the Thetford toilet does not have.
      Last edited by actad; 02-03-2017, 05:00 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

We use a lug a loo. It has disposable bags. My rule is you use #2 in the bag, you change it, and put a clean one in for the next person. I tried the portable chemical toilet and it was to gross. I can't deal with OPP (other people's poop) even if they are my family.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          We use a lug a loo. It has disposable bags. My rule is you use #2 in the bag, you change it, and put a clean one in for the next person. I tried the portable chemical toilet and it was to gross. I can't deal with OPP (other people's poop) even if they are my family.
          Same here but I usually change the bag after a few uses. Doesn't bother me. The chemicals keep the smell away and there is always a layer of paper on top.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

... during some sewer problems last year I set up a 5 gallon bucket for emergency use;
            Turns out that walmart bags fit really well
            Double bag for solids...
            To reduce smell, after use; remove both bags tie off the inside bag, leaving a couple of bag loops exposed, then tie off the outer bag leaving both sets of bag loops exposed, re-tie off the inner bag then re-tie off the outer bag (learned this technique for disposing of sometimes smelly cat litter).
            Guys can use a re-sealable jug for liquids (not an issue in the woods)...

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If I felt compelled to bring a toilet, I like that hassock that is in the original link because it is multi-function, which I appreciate in my gear. Otherwise I would probably just do the paint bucket/swim noodle hack. It isn't uncommon for me to have a bucket in my truck for various purposes. It really hasn't been an issue for me as I tend to camp in secluded woody areas.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                ... during some sewer problems last year I set up a 5 gallon bucket for emergency use;
                Turns out that walmart bags fit really well
                Double bag for solids...
                To reduce smell, after use; remove both bags tie off the inside bag, leaving a couple of bag loops exposed, then tie off the outer bag leaving both sets of bag loops exposed, re-tie off the inner bag then re-tie off the outer bag (learned this technique for disposing of sometimes smelly cat litter).
                Guys can use a re-sealable jug for liquids (not an issue in the woods)...

Enjoy!
                Got to treat the solids to make them safe to throw in the trash. The Double Duty bags already have the chemicals inside for that. The self contained toilets have the blue liquid to break it down.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

On time thread.

We'll be camping at 2 sites in the Adirondacks with outhouses. The more I think on it, the surer I am, my fellow campers will actively revolt when faced with the reality.
                  Sooo my idea is to take a medical supply house portable toilet, add a liner or bag in it and dump the contents into the outhouse. There will not be any other bath facilities either so I'm thinking I'll take a tall dome tent, divide it in half w/ a shower curtain and use part of the tent for showering and part for the commode. Should save me the cost of buying one of the toilets in the OP's link.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I love my clipper's toilet. I don't worry about any of this anymore. But, I have to say, I prefer a campground pit toilet to a bucket. While that cold breeze wafting up on your bare butt in the middle of the night is awful, I'd rather put up with that than have to deal with the waste myself.

The other year, I was camping at my favorite campground and because of the drought, the campground restrooms were closed. The smell that came from the garbage bins was just awful. It wafted throughout the campground the entire time. When it's just one or two campsites that use this method, it isn't so bad. But when it's at least half of the campsites, it is like walking through a pit toilet's pit.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

when we were using the Kodiak tent and weren't close to a bathroom at the campground we would set a bucket in the corner
                      with a removable toilet seat (Emergency Essentials has/had both)...used the disposable bags...those are more expensive so
                      now we just use the bucket alone and I have the priveledge of taking it to the dump station and emptying it every day...
                      Recently bought one of those shower tents, since we live out of the van (no more canvas tent). The bucket gets set up in there
                      and I still am the designated bucket emptier...don't mind it as long as we have the flexibility to NOT have to be parked close to the bathrooms at campgrounds. When I am on my own in the future I will have completely different system...

Comment

Working...
                      X