Collapsible Chimney Starter Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsible Chimney Starter Mods?

OK. Think I found a replacement for my much lamented and missed collapsible chimney starter. This is what I've found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainles...3D262742704682

It has a s/s body which is great but the handles look too hot to handle and the air and light holes look too small to use a butane long neck lighter.
    What tool would you use (and bit) to make a few bigger holes and do you think there is a way to add......silicone or resin handles to the thin metal? I have a Dremel which is prolly the fastest motor tool I own.

TIA!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Collapsible Chimney Starter Mods?

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
    What tool would you use (and bit) to make a few bigger holes and do you think there is a way to add......silicone or resin handles to the thin metal? I have a Dremel which is prolly the fastest motor tool I own.
    I would likely get out the Greenlee punch set, leftover from my electrical days (pretty spendy if you don't need one professionally), however a Dremel or die grinder will likely work, using a stone or tiny sanding drum (the metal will likely groove the stone/drum quickly, keep it moving in and out to even the wear).
    I would be leery of using a drill bit as they have a tendency to bur and grab thin sheet metal (although it can be done if your proceed with caution (and a backer board)
    ...another option is a, relatively fine tooth, rat tail file; slow but very safe and has the least chance of destroying/damaging the piece.

For a semi heat resistant handle cover I would be inclined to clamp a couple of pieces of wood together in a vice then drill a hole between them (resulting in 2 pieces of slotted wood) then put them over the metal handles and screw or glue the pieces together (maybe round off the corners first)...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-28-2017, 05:32 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Before I even read his post, I thought what Joe said - a Greenlee punch - definitely. Any other way will more than likely leave the holes a mess, while the punch will make clean holes. But I wouldn't bother with adding anything to the handles because it wouldn't fold up as neatly. I would just wear a leather work glove, something I think is a gotta-have when camping anyway.

Comment

I knew I could count on youse guys!

Pulled out my toolbox (No. It is NOT pink but but it is red cuz that's an energy colour...........snert) and since I haven't a Greenlee set, contacted Dremel's customer assistance line and now know the exactly right mandell/bit and drum to use (yeah that's how old my version is :D) to expand the metal holes in the base. Woooohoo!

Next stop will be the handle because... well.. because all my oven mitt type things are prolly too clumsy(?) to pick it up with ease. Just got to be sure that the enhanced handles will still allow it to close properly. Clearance that's the word, clearance.

Sometimes overthinking is a good thing.

:cool:
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I was gifted an "Ov glove" that works pretty well, thin and easy to pick things up with; though I haven't tried it for hot metal handles...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you haven't bought that chimney yet, you might want to just get one of these and save yourself some time & trouble:

I got one during the kickstarter campaign and have used it a few times at home. It works really well, fits inside a 12" DO when folded and even came with a handy bag to keep the soot contained. As long as you don't need more than about 40 coals lit at a time, it's ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              I was gifted an "Ov glove" that works pretty well, thin and easy to pick things up with; though I haven't tried it for hot metal handles...

Enjoy!
              Hey Happy Joe!

I have the Ov Glove and it's in my kitchen kit. It's fine for picking up hot pans/handles, but there comes a point where the heat will begin to penetrate the glove if one "holds onto" the hot handle a bit too long (and no, I do not have an exact countdown time-your results may vary). Let's just say I found out I didn't have a full "minute" to hold a hot cast iron fry pan handle with the glove before a burning urge to set it down came upon me. lol.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Campmaid New Charcoal Chimney

Makes me wish I liked cooking. Love me a good doohickey!

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  Hey Happy Joe!

I have the Ov Glove and it's in my kitchen kit. It's fine for picking up hot pans/handles, but there comes a point where the heat will begin to penetrate the glove if one "holds onto" the hot handle a bit too long (and no, I do not have an exact countdown time-your results may vary). Let's just say I found out I didn't have a full "minute" to hold a hot cast iron fry pan handle with the glove before a burning urge to set it down came upon me. lol.
                  Yep! Mine is in the camp cookware too; saw how thin/packable it was and didn't even take it to the kitchen...
                  Although, I have since tried it for taking stuff out of the oven; like you said don't want to hang on to really hot things too long (use welding gloves for that but even then there's a relatively short comfort zone)...
                  ...back to old timey square pot holders in the kitchen...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post

Enjoy!
                    Had to do a google to find out more about the gloves.

The Ove/Ov glove has silicone "bars" across it and is certainly is more flexible than the all silicone mitt I have what has a handle burn across the middle of one mitt sooo be careful out there. Fortunately, I realised it was getting hot before the heat reached my hand.
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 02-15-2017, 11:11 PM.
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
                      If you haven't bought that chimney yet, you might want to just get one of these and save yourself some time & trouble:

I got one during the kickstarter campaign and have used it a few times at home. It works really well, fits inside a 12" DO when folded and even came with a handy bag to keep the soot contained. As long as you don't need more than about 40 coals lit at a time, it's ideal.
                      That's the one I saw first and maybe you can answer some questions for me since there is no "contact us" hyperlink on the website:(.
                      Is it made from galvanized or stainless steel?
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        That's the one I saw first and maybe you can answer some questions for me since there is no "contact us" hyperlink on the website:(.
                        Is it made from galvanized or stainless steel?
                        I don't believe it's stainless and I'm pretty sure not galvanized (I've smelled what comes off of galvanized metal when it's heated, and I didn't smell it on this). I think it's "aluminumized" steel - the finish is similar to Weber's chimneys, but the material itself seems a bit thicker. Eventually, it'll likely rust and need to be replaced, but if I get 5-6 years out of it, I'll be OK with that.

Incidentally, if the one you found on eBay is like the Chinese-made "stainless steel" grill grates I've bought in the past, it's actually stainless-plated. After a few uses, that plating will start to break down and it'll rust just as badly as any other chimney.

Comment

I don't believe it's stainless and I'm pretty sure not galvanized (I've smelled what comes off of galvanized metal when it's heated, and I didn't smell it on this). I think it's "aluminumized" steel - the finish is similar to Weber's chimneys, but the material itself seems a bit thicker. Eventually, it'll likely rust and need to be replaced, but if I get 5-6 years out of it, I'll be OK with that.

Incidentally, if the one you found on eBay is like the Chinese-made "stainless steel" grill grates I've bought in the past, it's actually stainless-plated. After a few uses, that plating will start to break down and it'll rust just as badly as any other chimney.
                          My Weber chimney starter showed signs of rust in 2 seasons along with being cumbersome to pack:(. Could be I've been camping in wetter climes than you. Thanks for the heads up on plated stainless!
                          What I weally want is what I had: a s/s collapsible chimney starter that had ab-sul-utely no design flaws besides not being glow in the darkish. Nope, the man ain't living this one down because wellllllll because there's an elephant in the room of his life. I have a job and I do it according to specs, silently with just a glance..........:angel:.
                          2017:

Comment

Stainless steel cannot be electroplated, only welded. What you're experiencing sounds more like the breakdown of low-quality grade of stainless steel when exposed to high heat. That heat can accelerate oxidation (like corrosion) and break down the integrity of stainless steel.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

http://infomesr.org/attachments/3-028.pdf

But I doubt it would be cost effective in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X