bug stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug stuff

Well, time to check the stores - esp. small discount ones and food stores for discounted bug stuff. Ace hardware has a tendency to mark down stuff like that this time of year. Am allergic to certain bug bites. Dollar General puts bug stuff on sale about now thru March to get rid of old stock. Am having trouble finding cans of sterno jell. Can anyone suggest where to look - our walmart does not have.

Re: bug stuff

Good to know that bug sprays tends to go on sale this time of year cuz I can't have enough of the good stuff.

Sterno gel..........is there a Party City near you and is this the size can you are looking for? They will ship as well if this suits your needs.

http://www.partycity.com/product/ethanol+gel+12ct.do
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
      Well, time to check the stores - esp. small discount ones and food stores for discounted bug stuff. Ace hardware has a tendency to mark down stuff like that this time of year. Am allergic to certain bug bites. Dollar General puts bug stuff on sale about now thru March to get rid of old stock. Am having trouble finding cans of sterno jell. Can anyone suggest where to look - our walmart does not have.
      Order online via Walmart and have it shipped to your store for free. Pickup when you're in there next.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Sorry. I am one of those guys that bugs just don't seem to like. I can be sitting next to someone that has dozens of bites and I will be bite free.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Sterno? Is that good for bugs?? $1/can at Rose's.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

All bugs love me. Picked up some Deep Woods OFF at Family Dollar and I use that along with a Thermacell.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
              All bugs love me. Picked up some Deep Woods OFF at Family Dollar and I use that along with a Thermacell.
              I haven't had much luck with the Thermacell unless I remain in a stationary position.
              Normally, I stock up on the 30% DEET wipes which I find a surefire way to keep the kiddos from missing a spot, and Permethrin spray for the tents, chairs and such. This year I'm going to make sure I spray some of the Perm stuff on the night clothes we sit around the campfire in.
              Thanks for reminding me I need to call Sawyer's and find out if their product works on black fly, the unofficial state bird of NY, LOL.

I wish there were dollar stores near me; the loss is prolly due to the loss of reasonable rents in my area cuz yanno got to have as many fugly "needle" towers in Manhattan as possible.
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-30-2017, 03:53 AM.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl thank u. Near Waynesboro and in Augusta County could not find gel. We do have a party store of some sort in Waynesboro and I will check with them. No gel at walmart. James - I want a blood transfusion from u !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  Permethrin spray for the tents, chairs and such. This year I'm going to make sure I spray some of the Perm stuff on the night clothes we sit around the campfire in.
                  Thanks for reminding me I need to call Sawyer's and find out if their product works on black fly, the unofficial state bird of NY, LOL.

I wish there were dollar stores near me; the loss is prolly due to the loss of reasonable rents in my area cuz yanno got to have as many fugly "needle" towers in Manhattan as possible.
                  Ditto on the Permethrin, and I would include all clothing including socks and footwear. I had to cut our Acadia National Park camping trip (Wife's first ever real camping trip) short by 5 days last year to get lyme disease officially diagnosed and treated after I missed the first part second stage because it was fairly mild for me. I had Lyme before we went, just didn't figure it out earlier. I also may have had cloths treated when infected, just not properly.

Comment

I heard this mentioned last week, and have a link. It's a peer-reviewed study that only found 2 effective topical mosquito controls, DEET and PMD (30 percent oil of lemon eucalyptus):

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0216143936.htm

James is onto something researchers have also measured, in that some people who have a certain stress level seem to emit chemicals that the critters latch onto with proteins in their antenna and heads, thus finding some victims less attractive. I always thought it was because we were "locals", but I stand corrected:

http://scienceline.org/2007/09/ask-knight-mosquitoes/

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Dollar Store is fairly new to our area. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Ann W View Post
                        Dollar Store is fairly new to our area. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.
                        Welcome to the forum and let us know what goodies you find.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Got to checking and our store is Dollar General. Don't think they are quite as good as the Dollar Store but better than the big box stores.

Comment

Working...
                          X