Working on Water Access Only Camping Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on Water Access Only Camping Menu

Think it's time to step back from the 200 odd quart coolers total and see how low I can go for this trip to Indian and Saranac Lakes in the Adirondacks.
    We'll be there for 11 days booked so far starting a day or two before Independence Day.
    Since we need a boat to get on and off the campsite I need to think of a tight menu that requires less trips to the nonexistent local supermarket.

Here's what I've thunk up to date:

07/03 Day 1

Breakfast- n/a
    Lunch- on the road
    Dinner- homemade mufaletta sandwich and maybe a cuppa veggie soup

07/04
    Day 2

Breakfast- fruit platter (store bought), nuts and yogurt
    Lunch- hot dogs and veggie condiments
    Dinner- smoked prime rib, fruit and veggie coleslaw, grilled veggies smashed potatoes
    Dessert: bananas cooked in tin foil with berries and choc chips.

07/05 Day 3

Breakfast- fruit and yogurt
    Lunch- P+J sammies and tomato basil soup
    Dinner- Pizza with pick yer own toppings.

07/06 Day 4

Breakfast - baked oatmeal, fruit and yogurt
    Lunch - veggie soup with beans and small pasta added
    Dinner- marinated grilled chicken and salad w/ smashed potatoes

07/07 Day 5

Breakfast-Western omelet with leftover veggies
    Lunch - off site; restaurant
    Dinner - Chicky and veggie stew with dumplings.

07/08 Day 6

Breakfast - Yogurt, fresh fruit topped with crumbled home made pop tarts.
    Lunch- chicken salad on rolls
    Dinner- grilled fish tacos

07/09 Day 7

Complete day at Great Adventure and water parks; all meals off site

07/10 Day 8
    Breakfast - bacon, cheese, and veggie omelette "muffins"
    Lunch - sandwiches and leftover soup
    Dinner - grilled lamb chops and veggies atop egg noodles

07/11 Day 9

Breakfast- fruit and baked oatmeal
    Lunch -some kind of sandwich. Guessing a vegetable and mozzarella cheese will do the job.
    Dinner - Stuffed burgers with veggie sides

7/12 Day 10

A complete day of using up leftovers. I'll see where it takes us.

7/13 Day 11

Breakfast- prolly leftovers in an omelet
    Lunch- off site; restaurant
    Dinner- Porterhouse or ribeye steaks, grilled veggies, ramen noodles simmered in chicken broth ; pie from a local spot.

I'll prolly change some food offerings around as I think thru cooler use but this is where I am for now.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-21-2017, 06:23 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Working on Water Access Only Camping Menu

OK. I just made an executive decision ( Gosh makes me feel alll Presidential ish ish) gonna substitute constant fresh fruit with dried fruit some days. Easy to stew or just eat out of hand. I'm also noting that some menu items are being served on the wrong days since ice runs will not be happening everyday.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-21-2017, 10:31 AM.
    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Since I'm trying not to bring the white gas Coleman stove (excellent for bringing water to a boil), I think all pastas (required by the Princess AKA DGD), should be fast cooking or pre cooked. This leaves me with dried Chinese rice noodles and ramen noodles as well as Italian pastinni.

Yeahhhhhh but I've issues with some of the grains some of them are made with. Think I should try to sub quinoa and maybe farro when possible.
      Gonna work on that.
      2017:

Comment

You don't make your own pasta??
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
          You don't make your own pasta??
          This is the carry a minimum of frozen goods trip

I do make lasagna noodles, wonton wrappers and gnocchi but sorry that's it fer the moment and haven't tried drying any kind of noodles. Or as the man wud mutter under his breath: "Don't get her started on sum new nonsense that will disturb my 8 solid hours of football cuz when I go in the kitchen for a refill she'll say: "On the commercial could you do ........?. This is becauseeeeee she hasn't realised that the commercials are the BEST part of the game". Actually, I do understand how good the commercials are in relation to the rest of the stuff he's watching but errrrr from a different POV........totally on topic digression over:didas:.

Oh and by the way Mr.IM, to miss no nuances I think you meant to write : "You don't make your own pasta?!?"
          :tussor::heart:
          2017:

Comment

The in house food critic AKA the Princess sniffed at the idea of roasted bananas for dessert on Independence Day- she wants cupcakes from
            Sprinkles (works for me since I really don't like to bake) and canna understand whyyyyyy she can't have mo mo homemade pop tarts. I'll see what I can do about the pop tarts but am making no promises.

https://sprinkles.com/cupcakes/flavors/calendar-july/independence-day-4th-of-july-gift-box

2017:

Comment

Don't know if y'all real cookin' type folks can deal with it, but Chef Mountain House makes some great food for those times when space and weight are critical factors.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Don't know if y'all real cookin' type folks can deal with it, but Chef Mountain House makes some great food for those times when space and weight are critical factors.
                Freeze dried doesn't necessarily bother me- I use dried shallots and green onions for camping all the time and this salad dressing is da bomb; just add oil and vinegar:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/salad-seasonings

https://www.thespicehouse.com/scallions

https://www.thespicehouse.com/shallots

Any product you recommend in the the breakfast and dessert sections?
                Oh and shock and surprise...bought a jar of chicken "Better than Bullion" with the idea of using it for camping and it's pretty darn good! Need to add about a quarter more water then they suggest to cut back on salt but maybe that's just me. The nice thing is even with the additional liquid it doesn't taste watered down :cool:.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-22-2017, 08:52 AM.
                2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  Any product you recommend in the the breakfast and dessert sections?
                  If you can keep the visual presentation out of it, I love Mountain House biscuits and gravy. Looks like chunky wallpaper paste - tastes pretty damn good. The same goes for their breakfast skillet. Looks could be better, tastes good. For the desserts, I stay with the apple crisp and raspberry crumble.

Comment

If you can keep the visual presentation out of it, I love Mountain House biscuits and gravy. Looks like chunky wallpaper paste - tastes pretty damn good. The same goes for their breakfast skillet. Looks could be better, tastes good. For the desserts, I stay with the apple crisp and raspberry crumble.
                    You don't know the Princess- the breakfasts are out for the 5 senses grrlie. She gives MY food sensory tests.............witchipoo; oops!.
                    Will explore the apple and raspberry desserts:cool:
                    Oh and you know I wuv she good but jesssssssssss Ms Picayune to the nth. And sooooo polite about it.
                    2017:

Comment

Might as well skip the desserts as well. Backpackers don't worry too much about the presentation. It's all about carbs, protein and getting filled up.

Comment

Might as well skip the desserts as well. Backpackers don't worry too much about the presentation. It's all about carbs, protein and getting filled up.
                        Her mother used to fret about her weight as a toddler. I told her she should look at early pics of herself and son to get an idea of what the Princess would look like as she grew.
                        That female makes me weary.........

The minute any berries are at good price here I plan to try dehydrating them. Shouldn't be too hard in a low temp oven.
                        2017:

Comment

We have started purchasing freeze dried foods from Packit Gourmet and putting together our own recipes. We had a couple of recipes that didn't turn out as planned but for the most we really enjoyed them. As any recipe it can be trial and error. The best part was even though I love to coo, it was really nice to have stress free meals and not worry about keeping ice for the cooler. Also check out steam baked lava cakes. You can buy a mix but I make my own and let them Bake while we eat. A favorite of my daughter's boyfriend.
                          http://www.packitgourmet.com/

Comment

OK........more changes especially for breakfast. I need to make or buy some granola. I know the "Children of the Corn" (Princess and grand nephew; haven't come up w/ a stick-able nickname for him yet) like both the homemade variety I've concocted in the past and Trader Joe's.
                            Thinking that a box of Chex won't hurt either.

Ordered some powdered milk from King Arthur's since it's much richer/higher fat content than regular:

Been told that pancakes are missing sooo I'll make some banana pancakes in advance, freeze em, heat them up and serve on site. It's fortunate that the man has 2 'nannas getting overly ripe in the fruit bowl. Will need bacon w/ the cakes so will buy a half @ pound of thick cut apple smoked and ensure that some is used in a pasta dish for dinner.

I don't like the composition of modern day pancake syrup so it'll be grade B maple syrup and berry compote a top. Somebody I know will "suffer" just before licking their plate clean.
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                              We have started purchasing freeze dried foods from Packit Gourmet and putting together our own recipes. We had a couple of recipes that didn't turn out as planned but for the most we really enjoyed them. As any recipe it can be trial and error. The best part was even though I love to coo, it was really nice to have stress free meals and not worry about keeping ice for the cooler. Also check out steam baked lava cakes. You can buy a mix but I make my own and let them Bake while we eat. A favorite of my daughter's boyfriend.
                              http://www.packitgourmet.com/
                              Fascinating offerings that keep with my at home eating ethos.........reading avidly. I will say that I prefer to take imported tuna in a jar or Genova's or Progresso's olive oil packed tuna in a can when camping. Available at most supermarkets and w/ the exception of the imported version muchs less expensive for a less than 2 week trip. Transfer contents to a plastic bag and it lessens the weight as well.
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X