Working on Water Access Only Camping Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on Water Access Only Camping Menu

OK. Packit Gourmet is 'spensive but for the most part still wholesome and easy to make.

I'm thinking I can easily expand the serving amt by adding various leftovers and ingredients such as Better than Bullion and water; fresh leftover veggies, and small pastas or parboiled versions such as broken oven baked ready lasagna , leftover rotisserie chicken and veggies, both root and salad varieties. Canned beans (throw the beans in a Ziploc type bag to lower your weight) will add more fiber.

The Basic Camp Kit reads well for cooking from scratch but it would be nice if the description stated serving amount given the 61.00 price. .
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Don't know if y'all real cookin' type folks can deal with it, but Chef Mountain House makes some great food for those times when space and weight are critical factors.
      Found a blogger who had a pic of the sausage and gravy mix already made up. Gonna order a packet or 2 for the man and I.
      Should silence him the next time he wants to ask me: "Is THAT for camping?!? said with Simon Legree sneer plastered on face.

Believe it or not, this year, marks 30 years of such quips.
      Some of us are gluttons for punishment...........
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I'm thinking I should make some home fries at well home for first breakfast. Easy to freeze a small batch and re- heat.

What is this breakfast obsession you say?
        The song remains the same- I don't "shine" in the morning anddddddd I don't want anyone to shine at me. Just eat and talk amongst yerselves.

I'll be in the antisocial corner drinking a hot beverage and hoping I weally and truly kicked the nicotine habit.
        2017:

Comment

After musing for a bit decided that this kit best fit my needs:

http://www.packitgourmet.com/BeanVeggiePack.html

I should be able to concoct some nice soup... maybe some bean fritters and stir frys from it. If it only braises well with liquid I can work w/ that.

Found some ox tails and a rump roast on sale and decided to make an oxtail stew served over noodles/ rice and Italian wedding heros w/ pepperoncini. Since I know the kiddos like both dishes adding them to the menu. It's getting beef heavy so maybe I'll switch some other choices out.
          2017:

Comment

After her Ompaah (AKA the man) made her a lunch of Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup on the sly this weekend, the Princess argued/discussed for the same whilst camping; picking my battles so it's on the "menu".
            Fortunately (and it wasn't like she'd win THAT war (note I dinna say battle) she's in complete agreement that veggies and a chicken breast can be added. Maybe I'll be allowed to add some roasted pork instead of chicky but not counting on it 'cause she's reading "Charlotte's Web" and thinks she shouldn't eat such a cute animal.
            Demn Disney and all it's competitors........

Oh but just so youse know I'm holding at Chef Boyardee's; that line will not be crossed on my watch:party:
            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Oh and by the way Mr.IM, to miss no nuances I think you meant to write : "You don't make your own pasta?!?"
              :-) I'm not a foodie like you but I do enjoy dabbling in the kitchen. Mainly anything that involves flour is fascinating to me. It is just magical stuff. My wife doesn't bake but she's a wiz at everything else, so it works out well. I have a nice pasta machine that I ordered from WM for about $20. It is very handy for making wonton wrappers too :-) Next on my wish list is a tortilla press. I suppose I could just McGuyver one.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                :-) I'm not a foodie like you but I do enjoy dabbling in the kitchen. Mainly anything that involves flour is fascinating to me. It is just magical stuff. My wife doesn't bake but she's a wiz at everything else, so it works out well. I have a nice pasta machine that I ordered from WM for about $20. It is very handy for making wonton wrappers too :-) Next on my wish list is a tortilla press. I suppose I could just McGuyver one.
                Flour is where science become apparent in cooking:cool:.
                I finally succumbed to the allure of the pasta machine when I realised I could buy pre made wonton wrappers and make them thinner by rolling thru the machine. So far I've held off on the tortilla press but now that the Princess decided she can eat Mexican food (hold the cheese) who knows?

Interim you can roll out tortillas in the pasta maker and here is a tutorial to help:

http://www.happybellyfoodie.com/home...a-pasta-maker/
                2017:

Comment

Getting into the home stretch but know I'm being too all over the place in terms of reusing leftovers and such.

My current restrictions are:

A minimum of cheese.
                  Lots o' noodles and rice.
                  No known pork (unless it's bacon or ham steaks; the logic baffles me)
                  No veal or lamb, or rabbit.
                  No asparagus but any other veggie is fine.

So with that in mind here is the menu to date:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9lg/edit#gid=0
                  2017:

Comment

You totally rock, NYCGrrl!

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                      You totally rock, NYCGrrl!
                      I wish she'd do some more rockin' on here. It's been quite a while and I miss her input on "things".

Comment

I agree!
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I wish she'd do some more rockin' on here. It's been quite a while and I miss her input on "things".
                          Probably busy with all her retirement.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                          X