Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DPS State Trooper saved from attack by a civilian with a gun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS State Trooper saved from attack by a civilian with a gun.

I live in Arizona and this is amazing to me. Tonopah is a tiny little place about 15-20 minutes past the very edge of Phoenix. I don't know where you fall in the gun control issue but I am REALLY glad that this guy was armed when and where he was.

You can click the story and read it for yourself but the short version is the trooper was responding to a call that someone shot at a passing car. When he got to the spot there was a rollover so he started setting out flares when he was ambushed and shot in the shoulder. He was fighting, and losing, when a guy stopped and shot the attacker. Most likely saved the troopers life.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/342430...another-driver

There is still a bunch of unknown about this story.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: DPS State Trooper saved from attack by a civilian with a gun.

I saw this story and am heartened to see a Concealed Carry man get involved. The job of the police is hard enough. They need to know that the public is willing to risk their lives and treasure when need be. This man took a great risk by getting involved. It would have been much easier and safer to just drive on by.

Comment

Good for the guy that stopped (lucky trooper).
      IMO, There is too much liberal (anti-police & anti firearm; perpetrator as the victim) bias in the media (bet this story don't see national coverage).

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

It's getting some nationwide attention so far, and yeah, I am hearing people on talk radio saying things like "there should have been another option other than killing the guy". Personally, I look at it as one less idiot (not the word I'd normally use) using up my oxygen.

Comment

I am glad the guy stopped and assisted the officer. And MacGyver, I agree with you that now there is one less idiot using up our oxygen. There was no other good option than killing the attacker. What the idiots on the radio don't understand is that when something like this happens you don't have time to think "let's see, should I shoot him in the hand, or maybe the foot, or an arm or shoulder, or maybe just try to graze him". No, you shoot center mass first and you shoot until the threat is gone. I hope I am never faced with something like this but if I do I would like to think that I would act as responsibly as this man did.

Comment

Personally, I'm a dyed, fried, laid to the side true NYC "lib" ( but not tard) who thinks there are too many guns awash in this country but it doesn't change my feelings of relief that this ending was happy for the LEO.
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree with NCYgrrl.

I would add that while I am glad that this civilian was carrying and was able to save the officer, I don't this type of incident justifies the idea of armed civilians everywhere. I think there are more instances of a civilian's gun doing damage rather than good.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Too many guns...Perhaps;
                IMO the biggest issue is too many untrained/uncaring gun idjuts, ignoramuses/wannabees and criminals.

In this country, so far, firearm ownership is a constitutional right.
                Personally, I would support mandatory free; training (passed a firearm safety course before I had a driver's license), fingerprint & DNA (national/international database) registration before ownership/transfer; during a short waiting period while a real background check (of the mentioned database) is performed.

Libs have some good ideas but too often, IMO, the good ideas get sidetracked by the sign waving fanatics (similar to the conservative right)...

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  Too many guns...Perhaps;
                  IMO the biggest issue is too many untrained/uncaring gun idjuts, ignoramuses/wannabees and criminals.

Personally, I would support mandatory free; training (passed a firearm safety course before I had a driver's license), fingerprint & DNA (national/international database) registration before ownership/transfer; during a short waiting period while a real background check (of the mentioned database) is performed.

Libs have some good ideas but too often, IMO, the good ideas get sidetracked by the sign waving fanatics (similar to the conservative right)...

Enjoy!
                  I agree with the above. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the above happening in my lifetime.

I was told by a gun owning relative that "only stupid people do stupid things with guns". I agreed and said I wanted to see guns kept away from stupid people. She accused me of wanting to take away everyone's guns...

Not 2 months later, I was called and told to crawl through the dog door and put away the loaded shotgun she left IN the bed before her teenage neighbor boy came to housesit for her.

I guess she had a real concern that if we had laws to keep stupid people from owning guns that she would not have any guns.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                    Too many guns...Perhaps;

Enjoy!
                    wow, a DNA sample before I can buy a gun. Even though I have never broken any laws, you want to categorize me with rapists and murders. Oh well, as long as a woman can kill her unborn child it's ok. Speaking of stupid ideas, expecting law abiding citizens to submit to a DNA test and finger printing is pretty high up there on the stupid idea meter. THANK GOD TRUMP GOT ELECTED
                    If you want to reply arguing politics, then we can but I think this campsite should remain camping and steer clear of politics.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

When I was a kid everyone had guns and most dads taught their children to shoot, and that included gun safety, at an early age. I got my first BB gun at 8 or 9 and my pellet rifle when I was 10. My cousin and I were shooting 22 rifles on our grandfather's farm when we were 12. When I was in high school, 1961-1965, most of the pickups in the school parking lot had a rifle rack on the back gl**** usually had at least one rifle on the rack, and all the vehicles were unlocked. Murder just didn't happen back then with any weapon. I think that was partly because people, even criminals, respected life plus they knew if they killed someone they would be executed. Even if we were to outlaw all guns the criminals would still be able to get them somewhere and the honest law abiding citizen would be unprotected. I would rather have a criminal know that there was a good possibility that everyone else was armed and if they, the criminal, pulled a gun then they would have several pointed back at them.

Today people have no respect of life. Our laws are so screwed up - a person can injure a pregnant woman causing the baby to die and be charged with murder but that same woman can abort her child and it is OK because it is her choice. People need to realize that there is absolute truth, right and wrong, and if they break the law there will be consequences and the consequences need to be severe enough that the criminal won't make the same mistake twice. Sorry for the rant but I feel better now.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        wow, a DNA sample before I can buy a gun. Even though I have never broken any laws, you want to categorize me with rapists and murders. Oh well, as long as a woman can kill her unborn child it's ok. Speaking of stupid ideas, expecting law abiding citizens to submit to a DNA test and finger printing is pretty high up there on the stupid idea meter. THANK GOD TRUMP GOT ELECTED
                        If you want to reply arguing politics, then we can but I think this campsite should remain camping and steer clear of politics.
                        As far as firearms; If everyone were law abiding, I would agree however the reality is that many people are not.
                        However given the amount of insanity in todays world along with criminal behavior not to mention a tendency toward outright anarchy I see no other way for law abiding people to quickly and easily prove that they are entitled to exercise their right to own a firearm. I expect once trained and in the system a fingerprint reader would serve to identify a purchaser as qualified.

Its not about treating the innocent folks like criminals its about regulating the criminals and insane in the most error free way possible. (Note: the current system relies on criminals and the insane to tell the system that they are not qualified to purchase a firearm; could anyone actually expect this to work?.

A DNA, or similar, database is only a matter of time; starting with criminals then moving toward things like drivers licenses (prediction).

No one should have the ability to impose their religious beliefs upon others...

Trump has the potential for being a good president, however, he also has the potential to doom our civilization... (IMO)We need a do-over on the last election with some reasonable candidates in both parties.

In my experience when a president and both houses of congress are controlled by the same party bad things happen...(prediction)

Stupid is continuing to do what doesn't work and expecting a different result (some say this is one definition of insanity).

I re-iterate that the problem is the; insane, improperly/poorly trained and criminals. Never said that everyone would get into the database and no one other than criminals and the insane should be forced. You are required to prove residency, demonstrate competence (and to provide a thumbprint is some states) before being entered into the multistate driver's license database and allowed to legally drive I see this as no different.

...Although; I expect the new born will be early database entrants...Regulation is inevitable (prediction)

I agree; enough politics here; since the worlds problems can only be properly solved around a campfire while lubricated with quantities of beer.

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          .... THANK GOD TRUMP GOT ELECTED
                          Hushhhhhhhhhhhh! You are disturbing my day of mourning..:out:
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                          X