Where do you draw the line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Being a true southerner, 90 degree heat does not bother me. That's what shade trees are for. Colder temps...I'm not exactly opposed to it; I just don't have the gear for sub-freezing weather, not that we actually have any. But rain...I don't like to be confined to my campsite. I know how to stay dry, but I really don't wanna hang out under a tarp all day. Even with a couple of good books.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      You should be investigated for un-American activities for such a claim! LOL

Believe me - when you've camped with the same people for 30+ years, you get to know who likes what. As much as I like Winter camping, Spring can't get here fast enough. Definitely looking forward to setting up the Theater in the Woods!

X2 on spring...

Haven't got any Brooks (or plans for... never had anyone ask for any) in the movie library...
      In terms of so bad that its entertaining; I do have a fair collection of grade C-D 1940s and 50s, B&W action/adventure/sci-fi/classic horror, sometimes unintentionally funny... Drama gets very few requests & no repeat requests and comedies get few.

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      Being a true southerner, 90 degree heat does not bother me. That's what shade trees are for. Colder temps...I'm not exactly opposed to it; I just don't have the gear for sub-freezing weather, not that we actually have any. But rain...I don't like to be confined to my campsite. I know how to stay dry, but I really don't wanna hang out under a tarp all day. Even with a couple of good books.
      I reserve e-books (print is too subject to damage) for rainy days, usually while waiting for folks to show up... have hiked & backpacked in the rain but its not particularly enjoyable, IMO.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Gonna work on the man's limits this camping season.
        We'll be spending 10 days water access camping between Indian and Saranac Lakes in the Adirondacks this summer.
        Not sure that he understands what a pit toilet really is but he's about to find out.
        Hopefully, the motorboat, and hot showers, down river at Lewley Lake will make it better for him.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Gonna work on the man's limits this camping season.
          We'll be spending 10 days water access camping between Indian and Saranac Lakes in the Adirondacks this summer.
          Not sure that he understands what a pit toilet really is but he's about to find out.
          Hopefully, the motorboat, and hot showers, down river at Lewley Lake will make it better for him.
          Awww, his first pit toilet camping!! After his first sit down visit in the cold, he'll wonder how he ever went this long without enjoying the pit toilet. :surprised:
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Awww, his first pit toilet camping!! After his first sit down visit in the cold, he'll wonder how he ever went this long without enjoying the pit toilet. :surprised:
            He figured it out. Demnnnnnnnnn:D.
            I'm ahead of the game though.

The site has a 2 tent maximum so I'm gonna put a porta potty in a 6 pp dome tent and divide the space with a shower curtain into a full bthrm where sun showers can be taken as well.

No need to use the out house which has peeps aghast in advance.

Still haven't told any of em that they shouldn't be surprised if a black bear shows up on site.....
            Gosh. I'm such a stinker!
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-18-2017, 07:49 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              I don't know. Sitting under a tarp on a rainy day reading a book sounds like a great way to spend a day.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

think I would find it interesting camping with you!! sure would beat just sitting around watching the other campers and their antics, or the big RV's and their owners holed up inside watching their big screen TV's.

Comment

Rain on tarp and reading can be OK for a time; 'though it can get boring after a couple of books...
                  As long as the weather is not miserably cold/windy/sleety/snowy and wet, firewood forays, cleaning out/rebuilding the fire pit along with splitting some wood (to get to the dry center wood) and fire starting can help break up the routine.
                  When its chilly make up a pot of coffee (or two)...
                  Once going keeping the fire fed and hot in the rain can sometimes be a challenge...
                  Having someone along to help people watch & BS with also helps.

Often migrating between several friend's campsites/tarps adds some variability.
                  Regularly someone shows up asking for/needing help/snatch strap etc. so adjourning for a rescue run can be entertaining...

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    I don't know. Sitting under a tarp on a rainy day reading a book sounds like a great way to spend a day.
                    Normally I would agree, but when camping I tend to have the Wanderlust.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                    X