No announcement yet.

So, what kind of loot did your rack up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what kind of loot did your rack up?

What did you get, that was on your Santa list?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: So, what kind of loot did your rack up?

It was a tough year for us money wise so gifts were few but my wife surprised me with a tripod cooking grate for over a fire.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Nook 7 tablets to have reading material when we camp. Nice bonus was that they can recharge via USB from the Coghlan 6000 3 way charger.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm against the commercialization of the holidays, mostly brought about because my family seems to like to play the "who outdid who" game every year. So, a while back, I started to make donations to charity in the names of each couple and their kids. Since that has gone unappreciated, I decided this year to save a bunch of money by switching to Geico... I mean spend some money on myself for a change. I bought a new video card for my computer and three Pelican Storm cases - one for a first aid kit, one to hold tools for the truck and the biggest one they make, the im3075 to hopefully fit everything but the bulk gear in for warm weather trips.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I'm against the commercialization of the holidays, mostly brought about because my family seems to like to play the "who outdid who" game every year. So, a while back, I started to make donations to charity in the names of each couple and their kids. Since that has gone unappreciated, I decided this year to save a bunch of money by switching to Geico... I mean spend some money on myself for a change. I bought a new video card for my computer and three Pelican Storm cases - one for a first aid kit, one to hold tools for the truck and the biggest one they make, the im3075 to hopefully fit everything but the bulk gear in for warm weather trips.

I totally get that. I gave up after my family decided that buying you what they think you should want or what they know you won't want was more fun. That way they could accuse you of being unappreciative while gloating that their gift was so much better than anything you might actually want. Now, I just buy for a couple friends and I splurge on me. Got a cool gel memory foam pad and a new faux fur blanket for the RV bed. The dogs each got a new RV stuffed toy.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

No whirled peas.
            No unearned just fell in my lap billion dollars ...hmmm maybe I should run for an elective office ........
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I know its not much by some knife enthusiast
              where some knives can cost hundreds of dollars
              but usually only having walmart type knives i splurged and got this for myself from my son
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	70723

For gifts for others
              i bought everyone a pair of good quality made in us merino wool socks

Comment

Found, ordered & received a copy of Andre Norton's; Mark of the Cat, Year of the Rat...at a somewhat reasonable price (a bit rare/slightly collectable book, small publisher) after wanting to read it since it was originally released near' 15 years ago.

I primarily use moderately priced knives and have had quite good luck with them (It hurts less when they get "borrowed"/disappear)...Still have one of those Buck folders (somewhere) it gave very good service for many years... (Good choice, IMO).

Everyone got money orders (the women got Russell Stover candy too).

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-30-2016, 07:55 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I got one of those "Light My Fire" Mora knives. It has a ferro rod in the handle, as well as a 90 degree spline to struck it with. Been looking at them a while. Took a package played with it start a couple fires. I like it. I have included a picture of my fire starter kit a knife and some fat wood.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 12-30-2016, 04:43 PM.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I have to say that my interest in knives is pretty much centered on the kitchen versions currently. I need a butcher's scimitar and want to be there when it's purchased so no one else will buy it for me; smart them.
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

...Hard to go wrong with a Mora...

NYCgrrl; do you mean one if these?
                      "Now that's a knife!"

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-31-2016, 06:28 AM.
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        I have to say that my interest in knives is pretty much centered on the kitchen versions currently. I need a butcher's scimitar and want to be there when it's purchased so no one else will buy it for me; smart them.
                        I am not a real big knife guy. And to be honest, this mora would about be perfect for the car camping/hiking/kayaking stuff I do. It can serve as a fire starter, can do kitchen chores, cut paracord, process fish and small game, etc. but there is one thing it won't do very well and that's baton wood. Not that I baton lots of wood, and I am sure someone will say "use an axe". The reason I like to baton wood is to make fat wood torches. So I found a knife works better for making torches, so I am looking for something with a little longer blade.

I dont think you can wrong with with a classic buck 110 though.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                          ...Hard to go wrong with a Mora...

NYCgrrl; do you mean one if these?
                          "Now that's a knife!"

Enjoy!
                          Yesssssssssssssss!
                          Remove the chine and let me have at it!
                          Bet nobody will disagree with me w/ that in hand.
                          2017:

Comment

We do $20/person, except for the 2 kids.
                            works out great.

Comment

Sometimes we draw names, or ask for donations to charity, etc...this time we just bought stuff. I got a Grand Trunk Double for my experiments in hammock camping. Not as fancy as my son's Warbonnet Blackbird XL, but I'm not convinced you need to go that high get a comfortable hammock. I'm gonna ditch the carabiners on this thing...they weigh as much as the hammock, if not more. I know how to tie knots :-) I did order a suspension from Warbonnet consisting of tree webbing and whoopies.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X