No announcement yet.

How is everyone doing in this weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is everyone doing in this weather?

Over the last couple of weeks winter has arrived with a vengeance; locally -10 deg. F and snow with slippery conditions.. way better than some places in the country.
    ...got to try out the 4WD in the Explorer on my (least) favorite hill in the neighborhood; made driving up it a breeze; grinned for a couple of hours (I hate that hill; used to have to slide back down and take another run at it several times each winter).

I also figured out that age isn't helping shovel the driveway; need to see if I can resurrect Frosty; the ol' snow blower (if it gets warm enough to dig it out from behind the shed today)...

How is everyone else handling winter, so far?

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: How is everyone doing in this weather?

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Over the last couple of weeks winter has arrived with a vengeance; locally -10 deg. F and snow with slippery conditions.. way better than some places in the country.
    ...got to try out the 4WD in the Explorer on my (least) favorite hill in the neighborhood; made driving up it a breeze; grinned for a couple of hours (I hate that hill; used to have to slide back down and take another run at it several times each winter).

I also figured out that age isn't helping shovel the driveway; need to see if I can resurrect Frosty; the ol' snow blower (if it gets warm enough to dig it out from behind the shed today)...

How is everyone else handling winter, so far?

Enjoy!
    I am still wearing shorts at work and I work outdoors so.....handling it pretty well.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Some of you may have seen the news from Maryland where a tanker truck went over a guard rail, blew up and wound up the focus of a 55 car pile up that killed several people. Well, I saw the smoke from that mess from my front porch. A sheet of ice on a lot of our roads, accidents all over the place... I deal with ice like this: Pull the vehicles close to the house, away from the road and stay inside while all the idiots wonder why driving 40 in a 25 is a bad idea with ice on the road. Looking forward to SNOW so I can go camping!

Comment

... I try to hibernate at home until the folks from Florida, Texas and Kalifornina have all run into the ditch or each other the first couple of days that it snows the first time... After that I venture out... (around here its a somewhat true unfunny joke that you know how closely you can follow the person in front of you in the snow by the state showing on their plates).

My blood is getting too thin to camp in the white stuff anymore...
        ...Saw the tanker crash vid.; made me cringe and shudder (used to drive in Chicago traffic, saw some spectacular leftovers)...
        Haven't seen anyone wreck or have a close encounter with the ditch, this year, though some probably will before they get smarter...
        It was 50 here yesterday and may get to 40 today... A warm couple of days (Christmas ?) may be on the way for folks east of the Rockies...

Have a Merry, Merry!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-21-2016, 12:30 PM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

son keeps asking me to go ice fishing
          smaller lakes are almost there,
          will see if we get a chance next week
          these pics are from last year

sons first fish through the ice

enjoying a hot chocolate on a wintertime hike
          3 years later kids still say its the best hot chocolate they ever had
          and keep asking me to do it again

heated on a makeshift hobo stove

brought along a tarp specifically so they can sit in the snow without getting wet
          smiles all around, success

Comment

Its been raining the last couple days.

I am still wearing shorts though.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Nights in the low fifties, a typical North Florida Christmas.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

... highs supposed to get into the 40s maybe 50s for the next week... Not shorts but jacket weather.
                ...Hopefully the snow shovel can go back into storage for a while...

Have a Happy!! ...Happy!!!

Comment

Winter? Temps yesterday, and today reaching 70 degrees, and currently in the middle of a thunderstorm and rain here in the tropics of the Ohio Valley in Western Kentucky. A week ago, temps were dipping into the middle teens, lol.

David

Comment

We've had freezing temps at night on and off for the past couple weeks. I have always believed if it gets that cold we should at least have snow, but no go on that. The other morning, my car door was actually frozen shut. I call that Canadian weather (OK, it's Canadian spring weather, but it ain't California weather).

I remember a few years back, a Canadian friend emailed me and said that they were going to barbeque for New Year's Eve because of the unseasonably warm weather they were having. I checked the temps and they were seeing 50 F for a daytime high....

Weather is subjective.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My mother and Big Sis' entire immediate family are vacationing in the mountains of Vermont as I type. The Empress [aka my mother] had to trade in her Birkenstock sandals for snow boots; must of been traumatic .

Me, I'm living La Vida Loca in NYC . Barely winter here right now but we have our moments .
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        My mother and Big Sis' entire immediate family are vacationing in the mountains of Vermont as I type. The Empress [aka my mother] had to trade in her Birkenstock sandals for snow boots; must of been traumatic .
                        That's beyond traumatic, that's torture for Moms.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Happy Joe,
                          i have noticed this. The first couple of snows are not to bad. The newbies stay home. But after the first of the year, they don't have vacation time, and they have to go in. Usually the 3rd and 4th snows are the worst. You have the people who are used to driving on the snow, then you have the newbies driving on snow for the first time. And that just causes chaos.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            That's beyond traumatic, that's torture for Moms.
                            AKKK?!! My Mother's lawyer is online:out:
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              Happy Joe,
                              i have noticed this. The first couple of snows are not to bad. The newbies stay home. But after the first of the year, they don't have vacation time, and they have to go in. Usually the 3rd and 4th snows are the worst. You have the people who are used to driving on the snow, then you have the newbies driving on snow for the first time. And that just causes chaos.
                              I haven't noticed that, I'll look this year. I do look at license plates in an effort to get a little extra warning on the slippery... I also avoid driving during amateur (drunk) night... although, since the impact of cell phones on people's driving; I've gotten better at compensating for their mistakes... Practice always helps...

Local forecast; low 60s today 10 deg. highs later this weekend and early next year...snow and slippery by Tues into Wed(need to keep ahold of the snow shovel).
                              Need to wash the Exploder, today, for the last time this year...

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-30-2016, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X