X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holding out

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    ... currently have 3 major wants (not really needs);
    A smaller extreme cooler; looking hard at the pelican elite 30 qt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7KGBOK?psc=1
    A new stove (propane) jetboil halfgen
    http://www.snewsnet.com/press-releas...-camp-kitchen/
    and parts for an awning for the tent...

(edit; ) almost forgot need to find some kind of off road folding hand truck to haul the cooler , batteries etc around the campsite...

Enjoy!
    Happy Joe - I too have been looking for a single burner stove and received this one at Christmas: Gas One Dual Fuel (Butane can or Propane). Usually these stoves run only off the Butane "spraycan size" fuel, this one has the connections for propane usage. It's a full size single burner...capable of holding a decent diameter pot/pan. $40ish. Like the dual fuel aspect and it's fairly sturdily built. Fits inside an included plastic case (not high quality case-but it'll work and protect it). I haven't had an opportunity to give it a good test...I'll report back eventually. Some info/pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas One.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	70729

Link to Amazon for more details/reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Not sure if I've been holding out or it's just frequently on back order:

https://snowpeak.com/collections/fir...iant=671153053

I know I was holding out for a better price after the" Late Night Grilling Accessories Massacre" (the man left a few hundreds of dollars worth of grilling accessories out in the street while trying to fit a 50 buck child's bike in the SUV; priorities must be met). Notably, a collapsible s/s chimney starter was lost and the manufacturer went out of business. Recently found a startup business making it and am simply waiting for them to give me some specification feedback to reel the starter back in. It's currently on sale for 30 bucks which is close to what i paid for my original one:

https://campmaid.com/pages/about-us
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
        Joe,
        one snowy day I took an old air mattress and felt insulation both laying around and spent an entire day making an insulated cover for the ice chest that I already had.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5925[/ATTACH]

Not real pretty, gotta remove it to get into the ice chest.....the payoff was after a 4 day trip there wasn't enough water in the chest to even drain off. (December trip to a somewhat shaded canyon) But I still have $450+tax that they wanted for the 75 Qt Yeti. Yes it took me the entire day to sew up this ugly cover....still glad I did though.

A hand truck with larger diameter wheels that folds as well is gonna' be a toughie...this co has an assortment.
        http://www.handtrucksrus.com/index.a...oogleHandTruck It seems that as soon as they fold there's always a little diameter wheel involved....good luck....post whatever you come up with....sounds interesting.
        I hear you; finally got tired of making do and trying to insulate existing ice chests; I believe I'll try the pelican; the Orca Ice chests get somewhat better results in tests but I can't say that I like the rubber lid hold downs/closures...

Thanx for the hand truck link; I see some there that can probably be modified with larger tires...

As far a money; I can't take it with me, so I might as well spend some. (Pension started Jan oneth... mad money, completely extra)...

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        Happy Joe - I too have been looking for a single burner stove and received this one at Christmas: Gas One Dual Fuel (Butane can or Propane). Usually these stoves run only off the Butane "spraycan size" fuel, this one has the connections for propane usage. It's a full size single burner...capable of holding a decent diameter pot/pan. $40ish. Like the dual fuel aspect and it's fairly sturdily built. Fits inside an included plastic case (not high quality case-but it'll work and protect it). I haven't had an opportunity to give it a good test...I'll report back eventually. Some info/pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5926[/ATTACH]

Link to Amazon for more details/reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        I was looking at those too; anxiously awaiting your thoughts especially how it simmers & time to boil a multi cup pot of coffee.
        so far there seem to be few dealers for the Halfgen and I will likely use the old SVEA and Trusty-Rusty (Coleman) until I see some wide spread availability and post introduction reviews.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-26-2017, 08:34 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Decided to forget the Campmaid chimney starter since I can find no specs and it doesn't look like it's made from s/s which is a material I prefer for high heat outdoor appliances.

Don't like the handles as much on this version and wish the holes were bigger to light w/ ease but am willing to forgo those bad designs (keep yer oven mitts nearby and light underneath!) for the rest of the package:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainles...3D262742704682
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-26-2017, 12:20 PM.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            I hear you; finally got tired of making do and trying to insulate existing ice chests; I believe I'll try the pelican; the Orca Ice chests get somewhat better results in tests but I can't say that I like the rubber lid hold downs/closures...

Thanx for the hand truck link; I see some there that can probably be modified with larger tires...

As far a money; I can't take it with me, so I might as well spend some. (Pension started Jan oneth... mad money, completely extra)...

I was looking at those too; anxiously awaiting your thoughts especially how it simmers & time to boil a multi cup pot of coffee.
            so far there seem to be few dealers for the Halfgen and I will likely use the old SVEA and Trusty-Rusty (Coleman) until I see some wide spread availability and post introduction reviews.

Enjoy!
            This summer I'll give my Coleman Extreme 5 or 6 day coolers ( not sure if I'll bring both or just one yet) a true workout. Going on a camping trip in an area with limited stores and hard to reach access for supplies. On the bright side there are a lot of trees and night temperatures tend to be cool so that'll help with the ice. Gonna try to change my replenishing dates to once every 3-4 days.
            I'll let youse know wha ha happened when I get back after this field trip.
            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              This summer I'll give my Coleman Extreme 5 or 6 day coolers ( not sure if I'll bring both or just one yet) a true workout. Going on a camping trip in an area with limited stores and hard to reach access for supplies. On the bright side there are a lot of trees and night temperatures tend to be cool so that'll help with the ice. Gonna try to change my replenishing dates to once every 3-4 days.
              ahhhhh.....to drain or not to drain....that is the question. lolololololol
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

You had to, didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  You had to, didn't you?
                  Sorry. I just couldn't resist. :diablo:

sigpic

Comment

I have a dollar that sez someone will. (within 14 days sounds reasonable).

Comment

Delete. Double post undoubtedly caused by a ROTFLMA off moment
                      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM.
                      2017:

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhh jes get thee to a nunnery!!!!!!
                        Wait.
                        That doesn't sound right..........

:tussor:
                        2017:

Comment

hehehe...let's steer this back on topic.

Not sure if I was "holding out" on this item, but I had mentioned it to my Dad earlier this year and he got it for me for Christmas. It's a Blackstone portable gas griddle. 15 x 17 inch rolled steel surface. Runs on propane and has an "H" style burner. Definitely a car camping piece of gear as it weighs almost 22lbs. Ace Hardware has for around $70. More at Amazon $97 but better pics/info:

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Po...kstone+griddle

Name:	Blackstone Griddle.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	70731

I can see multiple uses at the campsite based on how/what my family eats. I believe, with some creativity, that many of our meals can be cooked on the griddle (sausage/onions/peppers or eggs/bacon/hash browns, etc). We won't take it all the time as I enjoy my campfire cooking, but it gives us some different options (especially if rain is forecast).

I spent the better part of a day "seasoning" the griddle surface with flaxseed oil to get the black surface. This past Saturday I gave it it's initial test. I had the griddle surface waaaaaaaay toooooo hot for the first test batch (they stuck and were blackened...lol). After some temperature fiddlin...the second (and third) batch turned out great:

Name:	Flap Jacks.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	70730
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-26-2017, 04:57 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I'm all for knowing how your family eats and cooking accordingly.
                            Nice looking griddle...with a heat diffuser/metal trivet I bet you could make coffee, boil water for pasta, etc:cool:
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              Block ice, when you can get it, helps, as does minimizing the number of times the chest is opened... even tried wrapping my coolers in a solar blanket, shiny side out which also helps a little...The really good/expensive ice chest say that they will keep ice up to 10 days but I would bet 5 is closer to reality (and will serve me well, crosses fingers).

(Edit; ) ... sorry! I responded before seeing the above posts...

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-27-2017, 05:27 AM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

hehehe...let's steer this back on topic.

Not sure if I was "holding out" on this item, but I had mentioned it to my Dad earlier this year and he got it for me for Christmas. It's a Blackstone portable gas griddle. 15 x 17 inch rolled steel surface. Runs on propane and has an "H" style burner. Definitely a car camping piece of gear as it weighs almost 22lbs. Ace Hardware has for around $70. More at Amazon $97 but better pics/info:

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Po...kstone+griddle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5928[/ATTACH]

I can see multiple uses at the campsite based on how/what my family eats. I believe, with some creativity, that many of our meals can be cooked on the griddle (sausage/onions/peppers or eggs/bacon/hash browns, etc). We won't take it all the time as I enjoy my campfire cooking, but it gives us some different options (especially if rain is forecast).

I spent the better part of a day "seasoning" the griddle surface with flaxseed oil to get the black surface. This past Saturday I gave it it's initial test. I had the griddle surface waaaaaaaay toooooo hot for the first test batch (they stuck and were blackened...lol). After some temperature fiddlin...the second (and third) batch turned out great:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5927[/ATTACH]
                                The first batch is always a throw away. Even if it looks good, it sucks up the extra seasoning, so it never tastes the same as future batches.

OK. That's it. That's the full extent of my cooking knowledge... (besides "let someone else do the cooking for me).
                                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                                X