Holding out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holding out

I have thought about making an insulated box for my cooler. I figure if I glue up a box of ~2" styrofoam that fits snugly around my cooler, then put 1/4" plywood around the styrofoam to protect it, I will have a cooler that will perform at least as well and likely better than any commercially sold cooler. The water will be hard on the plywood so I figure a good coat of white epoxy paint will protect the wood. I know it will add weight and bulk but in my situation it won't matter because I have a bad back and once I get a cooler full I can't pick it up so the cooler always stays in the back of my truck. I always park my truck close to my eating area and sometimes use the tailgate as a food prep area so the cooler is never too far away. Now I just need to take the time to do it.

Happy Joe mentioned using block ice. You can always freeze gallon jugs of water and use them in the cooler. As they melt the water is contained so you don't have to drain the cooler and you eventually have an extra gallon or 2 of drinking water. The big problem with that idea is the gallon jugs take up a lot of cooler space but really no more than block ice.

Comment

I have thought about making an insulated box for my cooler. I figure if I glue up a box of ~2" styrofoam that fits snugly around my cooler, then put 1/4" plywood around the styrofoam to protect it, I will have a cooler that will perform at least as well and likely better than any commercially sold cooler.

I'm with you Joe, form follows function, aesthetics take the back seat at $450 for a cooler. I just picked up a Marmot Limestone 6 at a huge discount and still have a couple of C-notes left over. That ugly cooler cover will go un-noticed in the vestibule of a gorgeous new tent.
      We indeed are funny creatures. I enjoy the DIY almost as much as using it.

Mr. busy hands....OnTheHill.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
        I have thought about making an insulated box for my cooler. I figure if I glue up a box of ~2" styrofoam that fits snugly around my cooler, then put 1/4" plywood around the styrofoam to protect it, I will have a cooler that will perform at least as well and likely better than any commercially sold cooler.

I'm with you Joe, form follows function, aesthetics take the back seat at $450 for a cooler. I just picked up a Marmot Limestone 6 at a huge discount and still have a couple of C-notes left over. That ugly cooler cover will go un-noticed in the vestibule of a gorgeous new tent.
        We indeed are funny creatures. I enjoy the DIY almost as much as using it.

Mr. busy hands....OnTheHill.

Congrats on getting the Limestone 6P. Fantastic tent - durable thick fabrics, easy set-up, great zippers. I think you will enjoy the experience.

Gotta ask and give others a heads up----Did you get it at Campsaver? They're running a great sale (45% off) right now on the Limestone 4p and 6p. I love my 6P----so much I nabbed the 4P version on sale last weekend via their site (plus on online coupon) and it arrived Tuesday.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Yeah hoosier I was dealing online with a guy with a used Halo 6 (his price was good) but the shipping cost $54 all in California. Total cost about the same @ $250. The Halo 6 is a 10x10' I didn't really need 100sq'.

So the $247 for the 83 sq' Limestone with Marmot's warranty just seemed to make sense. Only the gold one was discounted so in about 6 months I'll probably be able to see it on Google Earth glowing in the SoCal desert somewhere. And nature calls on a pitch black night can be done without a flashlight. (I wonder what kind of paint is appropriate for tent fly's)

Truth is though that I camp in good weather as much as possible and don't spend that much time actually in the tent. And getting over the idea that I'm not that fond of the color could actually reflect personal growth. (He said hopefully)

OnTheHill

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
            Yeah hoosier I was dealing online with a guy with a used Halo 6 (his price was good) but the shipping cost $54 all in California. Total cost about the same @ $250. The Halo 6 is a 10x10' I didn't really need 100sq'.

So the $247 for the 83 sq' Limestone with Marmot's warranty just seemed to make sense. Only the gold one was discounted so in about 6 months I'll probably be able to see it on Google Earth glowing in the SoCal desert somewhere. And nature calls on a pitch black night can be done without a flashlight. (I wonder what kind of paint is appropriate for tent fly's)

Truth is though that I camp in good weather as much as possible and don't spend that much time actually in the tent. And getting over the idea that I'm not that fond of the color could actually reflect personal growth. (He said hopefully)

OnTheHill
            Your Limestone 6p will certainly move you from a backpacking mindset to the luxurious car camping side.

While the Halo is also a fantastic tent---maybe a slight upgrade from the LS (it's bigger, more features/etc...but strangely it has thinner denier floor fabric than the LS), I think getting a new LS with Marmot's lifetime warranty is the right way to go over a used Halo. I would have liked to have seen the Halo on sale at that % off....but nope.

My 6p is in the dark hatch/cedar (green) color. Campsaver has the 4p on sale in both the green and the Malaia gold (orange) color with the aurora blue roof panels. I actually went with the orange on purpose....especially since my boy said to get the orange (he'll be in it with our new puppy on most car camp trips).

One way to get used to and appreciate the orange/blue color is to think of the $$$ you saved on it which can be repurposed on other gear. That should bring a smile. Hope you have great times!

ps: the Marmot logos and tieout points on the rainfly are highly reflective. Orange color...and reflective logos? Yes, your return trips at night will be easier. lol
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-28-2017, 05:19 AM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Decided to forget the Campmaid chimney starter since I can find no specs and it doesn't look like it's made from s/s which is a material I prefer for high heat outdoor appliances.

Don't like the handles as much on this version and wish the holes were bigger to light w/ ease but am willing to forgo those bad designs (keep yer oven mitts nearby and light underneath!) for the rest of the package:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainles...3D262742704682
              Plus it's made in Korea! Hard to go wrong with that :-)
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
              X