Holding out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding out

So we continue to reimagine our gear to get the things that we want/need out into the field. I'm personally reinventing things from a backpack perspective to a much more luxurious car camping scenario. So spending a little money ends up being part of the deal.

Now being tethered to more comfort I'm much more likely to go with a little downgrade in what are necessarily ideal conditions. So getting out of a nice warm sleeping bag to a cold tent isn't going to cut it. Ta Da! in comes Mr. Heater to save the day. I will use 1lb bottles as I'm not inspired to schlup a 20lb tank around. (I own 2)

Yeah, I covet an 10/11lb tank....They're How much! but I'm not willing to pay that much....I'll wait to find a deal on one. TPLIFE shops for tents on ebay to buy at a 60% discount....we all have that item that we'd like but are much too stubborn to reach into our pocket for today.

The question is: What are you holding out on waiting for that deal to happen....a better tent, a 0-degree bag, a newer stove or? We are infinitely interesting/laughable.

OnTheHill.

Re: Holding out

A Ti-Tri sidewinder.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

IM, You made me look it up....Yeah, pricey....There's always hope, Christmas is coming up....maybe Santa isn't so "tight".
      (but don't get your hopes up)

OnTheHill.

Comment

On my list is a Mr. Heater. I do plan to use a 20 lb. bottle with a long hose so I can put the tank outside the tent.

Comment

Thanks Joe,
          Two great minds but with a single thought....same setup that I imagined.

My holding out hasn't been completely passive, I spoke with a fellow construction type who thinks that he might have a 10lb tank stashed away in one of his conex's....he'll let me know in the morning.

The ten foot hose for some reason doesn't require the filter necessary for the other length hoses....anybody know why? That and I read a thread somewhere way back in the archives that someone damaged their tent floor with a mr heater. Was it operator error or do we need to insulate to protect the tent floor. There...I believe I've successfully hi-jacked my own thread.

In time I'll learn to use smiley's...I do have a rather dry sense of humor.

Still having fun, OnTheHill.

Comment

I have the Mr. Heater Jr. It has the round heating element up higher (it sits on top of the 1lb canister) than the bigger Mr Heater. I know it gets very hot around the element. When I use it, I put it in the sink so I don't have anything flammable close to it. I could see a tent floor getting a bit heat warped from them. It could also have been something as simple as the feet catching on the tent flooring.

As for holding out, there isn't anything at this point. I keep looking at another lantern (the Coleman Quad Pro). QVC has them in orange for $80. But I really don't need another lantern. But even now as I write this I get the urge to buy it. But I really don't need to spend $80 on a lantern I don't need (I have 2 lights I'm giving to a friend because I have more than I need). But it's orange and will fit in the clipper perfectly. But it's $80. But it's got the panels that come off. But I already have the Bell & Howell lantern like that (in orange no less). And so on. Don't know which side will win out.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
              The ten foot hose for some reason doesn't require the filter necessary for the other length hoses....anybody know why?
              Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the hose with the quick connect and regulator only fits the Big Buddy heater and doesn't need a filter. The smaller heaters don't have the quick connect and do require the use of the filter. There are two schools of thought as to why the filter is necessary. One says that they used a different material on the quick connect hose that doesn't leach some component of the hose into the orifice of the heater itself. The other says that it's the high pressure on an unregulated hose that leaches some contaminates into the orifice in the heater, clogging it up. To further complicate things, I believe there's now a green hose, made from a different material, that doesn't need a regulator or a filter. I guess I haven't bothered to get to the actual reason on any of this because I have the Big Buddy and the regulated quick connect already and haven't had a problem with the setup.
              Last edited by MacGyver; 12-20-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

From reading various threads on this forum I have decided to do as others do and cover my tent floor with something like moving blankets. I won't have to worry about damaging the tent floor with the heater, but I am concerned about burning the pads. The last thing I need is to start a fire in my tent. I may get a welder's blanket from Harbor Freight and put the stove on that. When I get a heater I will watch it carefully and moniter the temp in front of the stove. If I can find something stable that will raise the stove a few inches above the floor I may try that. I will be a little bit paranoid until I am sure I have a safe workable system.

Comment

Nothing paranoid about not wanting to burn things up! If you're talking about the Buddy heaters, I think you'll find that the bottom, sides and back of the heater don't pose any problems. Having a few feet of clearance above it is a must, so raising the heater only means needing a higher ceiling. I also carefully watched the temperature of the floor and decided to shield it with a couple feet of aluminum foil. A simple fix that works just fine.

Comment

toedtoes It's a lot of fun to watch the machinations of mind and the lantern....I do it all the time but never realized how much fun it is to watch others do the same. So let me help: I really think that you should get that lantern...I have the idea that you're going to end up with it anyway....it's simply "efficient" to do it with minimum rumination. I hope that that helped. :he:

I have the feeling that I'll say "Thanks Mac" many times in the future....(maybe they won't notice if I just copy and paste) And Joe: Good call....something along the lines of a welders blanket stimulates the imagination. It does make me wonder how old you have to be to not be concerned about asbestos any longer. So much to think about...so little time.

OnTheHill.

Comment

I am not sure you can buy asbestos products anymore. The welding blankets at Harbor Freight are fiberglass. I suppose I could add the welding blanket and the shipping blankets to my holding out list also. I will buy them and the Buddy Heater eventually but I have to wait for my next job to start which could be another month or three. I have to have some disposal income before I can start working on my want list.

Comment

Running this thread turned out lighting a fire under my passive *utt.....I made a few calls and TaDa a 2 1/2 gal tank. The story gets even better I traded it for a box of otter pops. Wait, even better still, I went to the hardware and when I returned the propane delivery truck was next door filling the neighbors tank and he filled mine as well. All I can do now is take a nap!

Joe, I was being somewhat facetious when I suggested that when you get old enough who cares if it's cancer causing. But your fiberglass comment got me thinking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 gal propane 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	70721

I pulled this fiberglass mat out of the shop. It's sold a layment/underlayment product for "All deck" a deck coating product for exposed sheeting. I have plenty...so when your time comes I'd be glad to give you the fiberglass as a gift. Those sheets from HF turn out to be much larger than anybody needs anyway.
                        I love moving forward.....it's been a good day so far.

OnTheHill.

Comment

I check the food stores for sale prices on the small tanks of propane. Especially Food Lion. They are trying to get rid of old stock and sometimes the prices are better than walmarts and such. And THANKS ! I never thought of welders blanket - never even heard of such - and we have a new harbor freight store here !! coming up in the world...

Comment

... currently have 3 major wants (not really needs);
                            A smaller extreme cooler; looking hard at the pelican elite 30 qt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7KGBOK?psc=1
                            A new stove (propane) jetboil halfgen
                            http://www.snewsnet.com/press-releas...-camp-kitchen/
                            and parts for an awning for the tent...

(edit; ) almost forgot need to find some kind of off road folding hand truck to haul the cooler , batteries etc around the campsite...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM.
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Joe,
                              Un poco/poquito (little by little) we accumulate/construct our comforts. I liked the pelican/yeti coolers as well (cabela's has their own line a little less pricey) I have the money but couldn't quite part with that much for a cooler either. So one snowy day I took an old air mattress and felt insulation both laying around and spent an entire day making an insulated cover for the ice chest that I already had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	70728

Not real pretty, gotta remove it to get into the ice chest.....the payoff was after a 4 day trip there wasn't enough water in the chest to even drain off. (December trip to a somewhat shaded canyon) But I still have $450+tax that they wanted for the 75 Qt Yeti. Yes it took me the entire day to sew up this ugly cover....still glad I did though.

A hand truck with larger diameter wheels that folds as well is gonna' be a toughie...this co has an assortment.
                              http://www.handtrucksrus.com/index.a...oogleHandTruck It seems that as soon as they fold there's always a little diameter wheel involved....good luck....post whatever you come up with....sounds interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X